• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
From that article:

"According to rumors the RTX 3080 will ship with a GA104 GPU, and replace the existing RTX 2080 with 48 SMs (3072 CUDA cores). This is very slightly more than the RTX 2080 at 46 SMs. Coupled with higher performance throughput and improved RTX cores you are looking at a significant performance increase if this turns out to be true - in fact, it is estimated to be just slightly less in performance than the RTX 2080 Ti current generation flagship. The RTX 3080 GPU will be coupled with 8GB/16GB of vRAM and a 256-bit bus width."

That would be disappointing if so. 3080 less performance than a 2080Ti? I thought the expectation was that the 3070 would be slightly less than the 2080Ti.
That would be majorly disappointing to say the least!

Makes room for a 3080ti and a 3090ti :D
In other words the 3080 is now the new xx70 card with the old xx80 price tag? They will get a lot of flak for going this route.

Soldato
That would be majorly disappointing to say the least!

In other words the 3080 is now the new xx70 card with the old xx80 price tag? They will get a lot of flak for going this route.
I wouldn't be supprised by this as when these cards were designed AMD was nowhere to be seen so they probably thought they could get away with another turing level increase where almost every card just moves up one tier level from the previous gen.

Soldato
At this point, I want the $700 price point to be 60% faster than my years-old 1080ti.

I don't care what "tier" they call it. I don't care what numbers they use for the name.

Soldato
We are in a period of stagnation at the moment as Nvidia are the market leader and there is no competition really nipping at their heels.

A bit like Intel and AMD pre Ryzen. No competition for Intel so they didn't innovate as fast. A slow trickle of progress.

However... hopefully this year is different due to the new console generation providing that much needed competition for consumer dollars.

Soldato
If 3080 = 2080 ti (-10% & less vram)

That's the absolute nightmare scenario, and you know for sure it's not gonna be cheap at all with that design (nor will AIBs undercut it). $699? $799?

**** all of that.

Soldato
If 3080 = 2080 ti (-10% & less vram)

That's the absolute nightmare scenario, and you know for sure it's not gonna be cheap at all with that design (nor will AIBs undercut it). $699? $799?

**** all of that.

All the rumours up to today were 3070 at that level. It would be rubbish if that new rumour was true. We’d be counting on AMD in that situation.

Soldato
All the rumours up to today were 3070 at that level. It would be rubbish if that new rumour was true. We’d be counting on AMD in that situation.

It would be interesting to see Nvidia under-offer, see that AMD have better products than they expected and then to have to refresh within months to compete.

I wonder how people would think of them then.

Associate
Colour me suspicious. Very suspicious.

Shouldn't the 'RTX 3080' be the other way up? And look at the toe of the PCIe connector. And why does the lower have a cover over the central fins but the other does not? And why does the upper card have the brackets on the right and the lower have them on the left? That lower card would have the GPU fan facing the CPU.
Surely its the same card upside down, it was fans on both upper and lower surfaces as per the schematic. Nvm someone already pointed this out.

Associate
It's not a Nvidia diagram I would ignore the pcb it's just to show the fan positions

Sli is dead anyway.
SLI is dead is always trotted out by those who don't have it, it's simply nonsense :rolleyes:. I've had 1080ti SLI for 3 years and it works in the majority of games I play and it destroys (as in grinds into dust) the 2080ti in the games that support it:D. You'll know its dead when there are no connectors on the cards. If there really aren't and Nvidia are abandoning it I'll skip this generation as it won't be worth the paltry performance gains.

Caporegime
SLI is dead is always trotted out by those who don't have it, it's simply nonsense :rolleyes:. I've had 1080ti SLI for 3 years and it works in the majority of games I play and it destroys (as in grinds into dust) the 2080ti in the games that support it:D. You'll know its dead when there are no connectors on the cards. If there really aren't and Nvidia are abandoning it I'll skip this generation as it won't be worth the paltry performance gains.
Replace dead with "becoming far less relevant" and it would be more accurate. :p

Someone noticed that the card is flipped in the images. That means it has two fans, one on each side of the heatsink and the power connectors are on the side.

Here is a drawn transparent look at the GPU. Not sure what Nvidia is thinking here, it's a strange cooler design that's for sure

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-3D-Model.jpg

rtx_3xxx.jpg

It's certainly a little strange.

Going by the photo it does not seam possible that there is direct air flow getting from one side of the card to the other (the middle fin stack is in the way).
I suspect both fans are actually sucking cold air in to flat heat pipes or a cold plate.

Could be wrong it's only a guess.

Last edited:
Associate
If Nvidia follow the schedule they did in 2018 we'll see an announcement in mid-late August with limited availability, ramping up in September. I ordered my 2080 Ti on 21st August 2018 and got one of the very first batch. Ib vaguely remember the howls of anguish of those who just missed out.
I got one from the earlier batches and I was howling in anguish because it was defective. As was its replacement. I'll be leaving this one for a few months after release to see it pans out first, not going to fall for Nvidia's crap again.

Soldato
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-3D-Model.jpg

rtx_3xxx.jpg

It's certainly a little strange.

Going by the photo it does not seam possible that there is direct air flow getting from one side of the card to the other (the middle fin stack is in the way).
I suspect both fans are actually sucking cold air in to flat heat pipes or a cold plate.

Could be wrong it's only a guess.

From this design it looks like the air is going round in a circular motion. In via one fan - across the PCB and out via the other fan.

Back
Top Bottom