• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 232 26.1%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I wanted Halo to wow me, yet left me so underwhelmed due to their delivery on the day. I have seen comparisons being made back to Halo 3 and all it made me think was how good it was.

However, I do expect them to get their act together. FM8 will be EPIC, as they have always delivered. FH4 on a One X looks incredible, so I can't wait to see what they can achieve with around twice the power.

Soldato
Was totally missing a new trailer for MS Flight Simulator. Console version won't be ready for Series X launch or its not included in gamepass. Either way, bad news.
It's in game pass, they announced that awhile ago.

Hardly a game that's likely to excite people though so can see why they wouldn't show it

Soldato
I was genuinely excited about a few of the titles revealed, but not about the actual trailers, if that makes sense? Avowed, Darktide, and STALKER 2 are all my kinda thing, but are so far away, there's not much point in getting excited.

In general, the showcase just didn't make a compelling case in favour of buying a Series X console. It does put forward a strong argument for Game Pass, and maybe that was the point.
I didn't actually see STALKER 2 so will go have a look at that now but it is a nice addition I'm sure.

I think you're right on the Game Pass thing with it being the point more than anything else.

Caporegime
OP
So, in the words of the guys at Digital Foundry, another opportunity squandered. Nothing in that showreel that demonstrates the power of the SSD. We still have no idea how long a game takes to boot before we start playing. Is the SSD all a load of hot air?

Associate
To be fair it was very Halo Combat Evolved to me which is no bad thing as that remains my favourite, but it just felt very, sedate, somehow...

Halo combat was my favourite, this looks like great fun to me. It's why I'm buying Xbox sx.

Seems like ps5 got Spiderman and Xbox got halo as day one launch games. Easy choice for me to decide plus it's included in gamepass already paid for.

Associate
Halo combat was my favourite, this looks like great fun to me. It's why I'm buying Xbox sx.

Seems like ps5 got Spiderman and Xbox got halo as day one launch games. Easy choice for me to decide plus it's included in gamepass already paid for.
Likewise, Halo and Gamepass are the reason I'll be buying a Series X..........and Sony's catalogue of games will be why I'll be buyin g the PS5.
However, neither have really wowed me with anything, which is very dissapointing - I wonder whether it's the inability to show HDR on a stream that is bvugging me (I've 'come so use to it that I expect it in almost everything now).

Soldato
Who's ready for some memes?

WPw8RBj.jpg
tf4XshV.png
tcCQsa2.png
bigbrute.jpg

B5tnjcU.jpg
bttf.jpg

rQUvj6U.gif
rLkByKF.png
DRtNT8E.png
halo-planetofthecraig2yjdv.jpg

20WfG8H.jpg

mvmY0aG.jpg
1eXxGcn.jpg.png

Soldato
So, in the words of the guys at Digital Foundry, another opportunity squandered. Nothing in that showreel that demonstrates the power of the SSD. We still have no idea how long a game takes to boot before we start playing. Is the SSD all a load of hot air?
Not being funny, but we know SSDs offer a much better experience. Whilst a video would’ve been nice, we know what baseline SSD performance should offer.

Caporegime
OP
Not being funny, but we know SSDs offer a much better experience. Whilst a video would’ve been nice, we know what baseline SSD performance should offer.

Aye, I know but are we really going to get (almost) zero load times? I'm pretty much expecting an initial 30-60 second load time still for games and maybe after that a few seconds here and there for level transitions and loading save games. I look forward to being completely wrong.

@Poneros That ET meme is the best one I've seen. :D:D

Soldato
Every time I re watch that Halo gameplay it looks worse. Mobile phone grass, hardly any shadows... Made even worse by the change of music while going up the lift in anticipation of something epic, to be greated by popping textures and cloud in the mountains that they keep pointing the camera at. :rolleyes::D

Soldato
Every time I re watch that Halo gameplay it looks worse. Mobile phone grass, hardly any shadows... Made even worse by the change of music while going up the lift in anticipation of something epic, to be greated by popping textures and cloud in the mountains that they keep pointing the camera at. :rolleyes::D

It doesn't get any better, does it?

Try watching at 4K and 25% speed. Suddenly you see why it looks worse in stills than in motion.

Still looking forward to seeing more though. Hoping what they've said is true about it being an early demo and the final product being better. If it's open world, covering the whole Halo ring, that could be brilliant.

Still suspect we could be waiting up to a year for a (visually) complete game though. As it is, RT is delayed until some time after launch. Can see this being like Sea of Thieves, where it receives a lukewarm reception on launch, but years later is regarded as being pretty good.

Soldato
Aye, I know but are we really going to get (almost) zero load times? I'm pretty much expecting an initial 30-60 second load time still for games and maybe after that a few seconds here and there for level transitions and loading save games. I look forward to being completely wrong.

@Poneros That ET meme is the best one I've seen. :D:D
Tbh I'm not even thinking about load times, but better system performance and smoother gameplay. The zero load times would be a bonus to me.

Soldato
I'm still not convinced you can develop "next-gen" games whilst still supporting a 2013 Xbox One as your base spec.

My 2011 Intel i5 doesn't seem to have a problem working all these years later with games, and still doesn't stop them looking much better on a PC with a better CPU and faster gfx card.

Soldato
I reckon in the end it won't have affected many games. I could see next year being Everwild, Flight, Psychonauts, Battletoads, and maybe another smaller side-project. Of those, cross-gen would only really affect development of Everwild (the others are likely to run on Xbox One hardware regardless). Chances are there's a big next-gen-only game coming sometime in 2022 (hence the "1 to 2 years" wording; the end of the cross-gen period will depend on exactly when that game is ready to launch).

That just seems like the sort of calculation Microsoft would make, completely oblivious to the PR backlash it would inevitably generate :p It makes sense on paper, after all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom