One Plus Nord

Soldato
all the bells and whistles

I don't think anyone claims it has all the bells and whistles. All phones are likely to have a missing feature that you want, @Sho is just pointing out there is a way round it if everything else was what you wanted. This can't be done for many missing features. Missing a 3.5mm jack isn't all that big a deal to the vast majority too. Unfortunately, you're in the minority and there's a cheap simple fix to it.

get a cheap Chinese dongle to DAC your audio. Like that's going to sound good...

Surely you could spend a little more and get a half decent DAC? :)

Soldato
I don't think anyone claims it has all the bells and whistles. (snip) Missing a 3.5mm jack isn't all that big a deal to the vast majority too. Unfortunately, you're in the minority and there's a cheap simple fix to it.

Surely you could spend a little more and get a half decent DAC? :)
What I meant was that it's ridiculous for a company like Apple, Samsung, OP spend so much on their internal tech/internal sound stuff (no DAC now, obviously) and then stick a terrible quality, cheap DAC on the end of it. It's like buying a Ferrari and sticking wooden wheels on it for anyone who cares a bit about the quality of their audio.

Again, to the majority, it's simply not a problem...

How are they selling their branded headphones? Buy anyones you like! If it had a 3.5mm, I wouldn't be claiming it's underhanded, they're trying to sell their corded headphones to me!!!
It's just very convenient that all phone manufacturers ditch the headphone jack and then at the same time come out with new overpriced wireless headphones. I won't pretend I'm not in the minority though, you're correct on that point.

Let me spell it out to you why audiophiles are annoyed; No single wireless headphones will ever sound as good as wired. It's that simple. All this talk about space-saving, stuff about selling their own wireless headphones.. it's all completely irrelevant because at the end of the day they've all downgraded in quality from something that just worked -- and was universal across the board. We're supposed to be a tech forum where the absolute best in quality is lauded. Well, phone manufacturers have taken the absolute best quality, universal output and removed it for no good reason, and left everyone with an inferior solution whether it's a cheap dongle or wireless headphones. That's why people like me are annoyed.

Soldato
then stick a terrible quality, cheap DAC on the end of it

Well, yes, who told you to buy a cheap crap one? You decided that and then are using it as the argument against us?!?!

It's just very convenient that all phone manufacturers ditch the headphone jack and then at the same time come out with new overpriced wireless headphones.

You think wireless headphones came out just in the last year or two? Or maybe... they came out 5 or 6 years ago and tech companies thought 'Hmm, maybe we can improve other things, like more battery, by removing the 3.5mm jack'.

Let me spell it out to you why audiophiles are annoyed; No single wireless headphones will ever sound as good as wired.

I grant you, I'm not an audiophile. I don't really get why wireless can't be as good as wired. Can someone actually explain this? (Not trolling, I'm genuinely curious. I have wireless mice that apparently have as low a latency as wired, so is it a bandwidth thing?)

We're supposed to be a tech forum where the absolute best in quality is lauded.

What? Where is this in the rules? I'm going to say... 'we're supposed to be a tech forum where progression and evolution of tech is lauded' then :)

Soldato
Well, yes, who told you to buy a cheap crap one? You decided that and then are using it as the argument against us?!?!
Because a good one is £100+. I think it's a totally valid argument to complain about having to buy a £100+ device to get the same audio quality as you did on older models no?

You think wireless headphones came out just in the last year or two? Or maybe... they came out 5 or 6 years ago and tech companies thought 'Hmm, maybe we can improve other things, like more battery, by removing the 3.5mm jack'.
The battery thing is a falsity. Have you noticed phone batteries getting better? Hardly...

I grant you, I'm not an audiophile. I don't really get why wireless can't be as good as wired. Can someone actually explain this? (Not trolling, I'm genuinely curious. I have wireless mice that apparently have as low a latency as wired, so is it a bandwidth thing?)
Firstly it's a total minefield if you go off Googling. But in short, yes. BT was never designed with audio in mind, the bandwidth available is used for every part of the connection. Here is a good post; https://www.quora.com/If-the-max-ba...en-why-do-people-say-Bluetooth-audio-is-worse and this; https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/do-bluetooth-5-headphones-sound-better-than-bluetooth-4-2

What? Where is this in the rules? I'm going to say... 'we're supposed to be a tech forum where progression and evolution of tech is lauded' then :)
That's my point. There is no progression. If we got rid of the wires and improved audio quality that would be fine. But like I've said, it's a step backwards. People didn't use wifi in their home until it worked well and reliably enough to replace ethernet cables. With BT headphones we're in the stage now where the choice is being taken away, even though it's still inferior.

EDIT: Anyway, I am just pee'd off because I have some lovely (expensive) wired IEMs that I invested in which are going to be totally useless when I next need to buy a phone. And to be blunt, whatever replaces them will sound worse.

Anyway, I'm off to cook a curry.. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's a totally valid argument to complain about having to buy a £100+ device to get the same audio quality as you did on older models no?

I'm sorry, I simply don't believe old phones had £100 DAC's in them. It seems maybe you're just deciding things to help your argument again.

The battery thing is a falsity. Have you noticed phone batteries getting better? Hardly...

Better, or bigger? Yes, I've noticed them getting bigger.

If we got rid of the wires and improved audio quality that would be fine. But like I've said, it's a step backwards.

For you. It's a step backwards for you. Me and probably 90% of phone buyers are very happy with moving to BT headphones. I love it myself. To me my Pixel Buds sound amazing with my phone. My Sony WH-1000MX3's sound great with my TV. My HyperX Cloud Flare sound great when gaming on my PC. Even my car stereo sounds great from my phone through a cheap Chinese BT dongle...

I do get your points, I just feel they're specific issues for you, not the general phone buying public. Who should OnePlus design a phone for? You, or millions and millions of people? There will be a phone that suits your specific needs. Why bash every other phone because it doesn't? I'll bow out of this discussion at this point as I think we'll likely go round and round :)

Soldato
I don't think anyone claims it has all the bells and whistles.
Literally the first thing on the product page:

ejuJUUK.png

Missing a 3.5mm jack isn't all that big a deal to the vast majority too.
Gonna need proof on that. If it wasn't a big deal why are a lot of budget phones retaining them?

Uthere's a cheap simple fix to it.
There's not a fix, there is a workaround. A workaround that requires a separate piece of hardware to be carried around and prevents charging of the device at the same time.

How are they selling their branded headphones? Buy anyones you like! If it had a 3.5mm, I wouldn't be claiming it's underhanded, they're trying to sell their corded headphones to me!!!
Nearly all the announcements for the Nord had the buds mentioned in the same piece or as the next piece. They were also released at the same time. They would struggle to sell their own corded headphones cause people already own a decent pair or use a cheap pair as they've been around for decades rather than being a relatively new thing.

tech companies thought 'Hmm, maybe we can improve other things, like more battery, by removing the 3.5mm jack'.
They did not think that. And if they did then they did a crap job of implementing it. There are many phones of similar size with 5000+ mah batteries and jacks from the likes of Xiaomi and Samsung.

I won't pretend that for some people it isn't a big deal that they removed the jack. But do not tell me it's not a big deal to me. I also won't pretend there is a single good reason to remove it.

Unnecessary? The Nord has 6 cameras, you can't tell me that more people need 6 cameras than a headphone jack. Same with the 90Hz screen, I'd love one but I hear of plenty that disable it for the power saving and or don't notice the difference.

Cheaper? Somehow it's the cheapest phones that still have them and they've been on much much cheaper products than modern smartphones.

Saves space? Phones are only getting larger. Smaller phones managed it just fine. Plenty of other ways of gaining space, like making the phone not razer thin or not having 6 cameras.

Waterproofing? Many phones have jacks and IP68 ratings. See the Sony Xperia range.

Wireless is better? Arguable but also perfectly possible on phones with the 3.5mm jack. I tried earbuds and they were great for moving about whilst listening, but they did have awful quality and were a pain in the butt with pairing and moving from device to device.

Everything since the reveal of the iphone 7 has pointed to the death of the jack being pure greed.

Soldato
^ we get it @Disco_P . You're annoyed it hasn't got a headphone jack :rolleyes: If you want the equivalent with a 3.5 jack then the mi 10 lite is the phone for you.

Anyhow got a couple months left to run on my 6t contract but seriously tempted by this phone. Only issue is the 765g is a downgrade if anything but ticks the box for everything else!

Soldato
Literally the first thing on the product page:

Ha ha, the marketing blurb oversells a product? No way! You believe everything you see from marketing companies, I'm starting to see why your having issues with products...

Gonna need proof on that.

From my own survey -

4Qv1l07h.png.jpg

1 - Couldn't care less
5 - I won't buy one without them.

I grant you, I would have thought (and it could be the case if this was a larger sample size) it would lean more to the 1 end of things, but still 65% aren't overly bothered and only 15% think it's essential.

There's not a fix, there is a workaround. A workaround that requires a separate piece of hardware to be carried around and prevents charging of the device at the same time.

Correct. You have a work around. Most issues you might have with a phone do not. Use the work around or buy a different phone.

They would struggle to sell their own corded headphones cause people already own a decent pair or use a cheap pair as they've been around for decades rather than being a relatively new thing.

For one, haven't they given away quite a lot of the wireless headphones? Secondly, there's no benefit or reason you would buy OnePlus'... (Oh wait, sorry, I forgot your acceptance of their marketing... you could have a point). I personally think if you think the reason they did this is to sell earbuds, it's a conspiracy theory that makes you sound a little bit of a nutter.

There are many phones of similar size with 5000+ mah batteries and jacks from the likes of Xiaomi

Have you used them? They're big and bulky.

I won't pretend that for some people it isn't a big deal that they removed the jack. But do not tell me it's not a big deal to me.

Where on earth have I said that!?!? At this point, if you're going to make things up that I said, to help your argument, I will stop the discussion with you. If you have to exaggerate and make things up... you case isn't string enough. Thanks. I wont be replying to you.

Soldato
^ we get it @Disco_P . You're annoyed it hasn't got a headphone jack :rolleyes: If you want the equivalent with a 3.5 jack then the mi 10 lite is the phone for you
I'd be all over the 10 lite if it had 12GB of ram available. And maybe a slightly better CPU.
Thanks. I wont be replying to you.
Probably for the best, you don't seem to understand. Points 1&3 you fail to understand how marketing works, point 2 you misinterpreted your own data I can't find your survey anymore, point 4 you are incorrect, point 5 is something I cannot disagree with without using them and point 6 is result of you constantly downplaying our issue with the phone.

Btw you misspelled 'Google' in the description of your latest video. That's nothing to do with anything above.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP lost my support when they took the p*** out of Apple for ditching it then promptly followed suit. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy for wireless buds. You can even see their CEO look slightly uncomfortable when mkbhd brings it up in their chat; https://youtu.be/W-VInHvlrZo?t=712 He also had no good answer for ditching it.

I was excited about the Nord, but then I remembered;
  • It's too big
  • There's no headphone jack
Seriously, I'm so fed up of every damn phone getting bigger and bigger. These things are supposed to be mobile phones. How are they mobile if they don't fit in my damn pocket? :mad: :confused: If someone came out with a 5.5" tall phone with midrange specs and decent software (OxygenOS or Android One) it'd sell like hotcakes.

The only glimmer of hope is that they mentioned there will be 'other' Nord variations. Perhaps this is the "premium" Nord model and they'll bring out a smaller, more budget version?
I was a fan of the Sony compacts for that very reason they were the only Android like that, and now they ditched it too

Associate
No single wireless headphones will ever sound as good as wired. It's that simple.

Wrong. I bet my B&W P7 wireless sound better than the vast majority of wired headphones. Indeed, I sold all my wired headphones, including Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics because the B&W was simply better in every respect as far as I'm concerned.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Anyhow got a couple months left to run on my 6t contract but seriously tempted by this phone. Only issue is the 765g is a downgrade if anything but ticks the box for everything else!

I don't see it as a downgrade. Will do my needs. I don't play any games on my phone or any editing. Do not use any Social Media apps other then Whatsapp.

It all depends on your needs.

Associate
Do not like using MIUI. Too much bloatware and Ads. Got use to using Android One, prefer the near pixel experiance.

Hows that camera on the poco F2? No 90hz screen :(

No bloat on mine or ads all easily removed with ADB.I was wary of Miui too on a previous Xiaomi phone but it has improved no end a lot of really good features.Camera is fine for what i use it for and never had a 90hz screen so don't even know if i would notice the difference.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
No bloat on mine or ads all easily removed with ADB.I was wary of Miui too on a previous Xiaomi phone but it has improved no end a lot of really good features.Camera is fine for what i use it for and never had a 90hz screen so don't even know if i would notice the difference.
Thats good to know you can remove most of the bloat/ads using ADB, How are Xiaomi on updates?
Seen some Camera reviews. Not a bad camera.

Back
Top Bottom