• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
This. Nvidia sell millions of cards and a few boycotting their pricing won't really affect the big scheme.

Surely it's about standing up for what you believe in? Otherwise there would be no point in voting for a political party because ONE vote won't affect the big scheme.

I fully respect anyone who's 100% happy with the pricing and buys a 3090 or any other tier for that matter.

It's the people that moan about it but feel forced into it that confuses me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely it's about standing up for what you believe in? Otherwise there would be no point in voting for a political party because ONE vote won't affect the big scheme.

I fully respect anyone who's 100% happy with the pricing and buys a 3090 or any other tier for that matter.

I think the problem is that it at minimum FEELS LIKE a greed move - ie the increasing costs are not due to increased production chain costs but simply to increase their profit margins. If you look at nVidia's net income over the last 5 years you can see this reflected. (I picked the 5 year point because that's when I believe nVidia started with rather egregious price hikes after the 900 series.)

2015 $631M (For reference the 980Ti released that year at $550)
2016 $614M (1080 release at $699 for the founders edition)
2017 $1.6B (1080ti release also at $699 almost a year after the 1080)
2018 $3B (2080 release at $799 for founders, 2080ti for $999)
2019 $4.1B (no major release, arguably the Super refreshes but even the 2080 super is still 15%+ slower than the 2080ti so not an upgrade path)

This is net by the way, so after all the expenses have gone out.. While not proof, it certainly implies the price hikes aren't justified by development/production. Also this data is for nVidia as a whole and not just consumer GPUs as I can't actually find that information. Regardless, just seeing the price hike over a mere 2 generations of the top tier card is enough to make the average consumer FEEL like they're being taken advantage of - even if the data suggested otherwise, which unfortunately for nVidia the data backs up the sentiment.

Associate

I'm not happy about the pricing, but there's nothing I can do about it other than choose not to buy one.

Without trying to sound like too much of nob, I'm fortunate enough that I have disposable income enough that it's not really an issue. I don't technically need a new GPU, I just want one as the 2070s doesn't cut it at 3440x1440... then again neither would a 2080ti, so I'm hoping these cards move the game on and I'll pay the premium.

Soldato
What the bets he wrote that post on a £1000 iPhone :D
I was thinking about phones earlier when reading this thread. I remember telling a nephew how much a GPU cost a few years ago when he had a play of FarCry on my PC. He was shocked. Today, he has a top end iPhone which I find pointless, but each to their own.

I think the problem is that it at minimum FEELS LIKE a greed move - ie the increasing costs are not due to increased production chain costs but simply to increase their profit margins. If you look at nVidia's net income over the last 5 years you can see this reflected. (I picked the 5 year point because that's when I believe nVidia started with rather egregious price hikes after the 900 series.)

2015 $631M (For reference the 980Ti released that year at $550)
2016 $614M (1080 release at $699 for the founders edition)
2017 $1.6B (1080ti release also at $699 almost a year after the 1080)
2018 $3B (2080 release at $799 for founders, 2080ti for $999)
2019 $4.1B (no major release, arguably the Super refreshes but even the 2080 super is still 15%+ slower than the 2080ti so not an upgrade path)

This is net by the way, so after all the expenses have gone out.. While not proof, it certainly implies the price hikes aren't justified by development/production. Also this data is for nVidia as a whole and not just consumer GPUs as I can't actually find that information. Regardless, just seeing the price hike over a mere 2 generations of the top tier card is enough to make the average consumer FEEL like they're being taken advantage of - even if the data suggested otherwise, which unfortunately for nVidia the data backs up the sentiment.

You've done some research and put time into it but it's irrelevant :). You're doing it with your consumer hat on, not a business one. You've also ignored the competition. If far enough ahead for example, a premium can be charged regardless of costs. I can't remember for sure but AMD's offerings were pretty close to NV's when the 980 Ti came out I think. Less so for the 10** series and even further away all things considered (ie Raytracing etc) for the 20** series

The answer is really having more competition. I know some are hoping Intel helps with that I wouldn't place money on it given their practices of the past.

I'm hoping either pricing is a little better this time or at least performance per £, ie, a nice leap from last gen. However, if NV release a 3090 and it's way out in front than even AMD can offer (much further than 2080 Ti vs vega for example) I'd expect the price to reflect it

Last edited:
Soldato
Waiting on the AMD cards to be released. Then see what ray-tracing performances are like.

Might try and get a 2080ti if I can find one at a decent price, and the raytracing copes well enough at 1440p.

Soldato
Waiting on the AMD cards to be released. Then see what ray-tracing performances are like.

Might try and get a 2080ti if I can find one at a decent price, and the raytracing copes well enough at 1440p.
In theory at least I'd expect the used 20** cards to be hit hard, esp 2080 Ti. Reality will probably be however that the used prices remain high - I always underestimate just how much people are willing to pay for used GPU's

Soldato
You've done some research and put time into it but it's irrelevant :). You're doing it with your consumer hat on, not a business one.

Because the question I was answering was that of the consumer viewpoint - stated multiple times in the post you quoted too :D

The business hat has zero ethical concerns, the only thing that matters is the bottom line. Consumer sentiment means nothing until it affects profit, nVidia apparently haven't found the breaking point yet :p

Last edited:
Associate
I voted £250 but may, may stretch to £300 or so if I could get money for my old card. I'll never be buying new though, my next upgrade will probably be a 1080 from a friend or something.

Soldato
Everyone should resist the urge to upgrade for one full cycle, when sales plummet, prices will follow.
Sadly for me it's not an urge. I want more than 20-30 fps in fs2020 with the settings on high. This sim is a game changer with life-like graphics allowing me to navigate using real charts. 980ti cannot achieve that and I can't justify buying a 2080 super or ti, not when the new cards are around the corner. As said above, I could refuse, but then my gaming experience would suffer.

Soldato
Then surely this thread and poll irrelevant for that criteria?

Why?

Surely the option "Not buying anything this gen as I am happy with what I have" is perfectly valid. You are assuming every one will spend at least something.

The way things are going? I may never buy another one. Especially if the new consoles are as good as they look.

Man of Honour
Won't even get you a 3060 this time around tho :eek: The ASUS 3060 is likely to be closer to £500 than £400!

Good job i've no intent on upgrading for a while then ;) that's just the max i'd spend on one,
my RX580 paired with my i7 920 from 2010 is playing GTA pretty well, if i was to get a GPU with much more power i'd need a complete new system... Bank account says No! :p

Soldato
In theory at least I'd expect the used 20** cards to be hit hard, esp 2080 Ti. Reality will probably be however that the used prices remain high - I always underestimate just how much people are willing to pay for used GPU's

I'd still expect them to stay reasonably high, at least those that are shown to still be ray-tracing capable, but older gens always take a bit of a hit. A 2080ti won't be cheap, but if it can manage ray-tracing, then the benefit it'll give in non-ray tracing titles will be very handy. Right now the 1080ti's are going for 350-450 by my reckoning, if a 2080ti can be had for 500, then I'm think it may be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom