• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Associate
I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about paying £100 more for a 20% uplift in performance. If it was an extra £100 for 20% performance on a GPU, people would bite your hand off for it.

Associate
Sadly, i can’t afford a 5000 series cpu, still waiting for AMD to approve my RMA request for my 3900X (probably will be monday, hopefully, i sent them all the evidence they wanted that the chip was defective, at least, all i could collect). I just hope the replacement chip they send will be the right one. What’s the turn around for AMD RMAs?

As for the 5000 series, looks interesting, but considering how much I’ve already spent trying to fix my system, and may still have to spend (need a new ssd boot drive), I’ll sadly be giving the 5000 series a pass for now. At least it’s power requirements didn’t go up.

Caporegime
Sort of. Within generations yes, between generations no.
People don't seem to grasp the idea of generational progress.

The recent trend is the idea that if something performs better than an 18 month old chip, then it must/should cost more.

People have even said that if the 5000 series was priced like the 3000 series it would be akin to "giving away performance for free".

It's strange that consumers now are arguing against their own interests and in favour of more corporate profit.

Soldato

The recent trend is the idea that if something performs better than an 18 month old chip, then it must/should cost more.

People have even said that if the 5000 series was priced like the 3000 series it would be akin to "giving away performance for free".

It's strange that consumers now are arguing against their own interests and in favour of more corporate profit.

I've seen this too and I don't get it.

By the same logic, CPU prices should be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars since they are so much faster than the Pentium III i had in my first PC :p

Intel have been giving performance away for free all these years, how generous of them!

A 20% uplift for an equivalent price; inflation accounted for of course; would have been an enticing proposition.

Associate

I've seen this too and I don't get it.

By the same logic, CPU prices should be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars since they are so much faster than the Pentium III i had in my first PC :p

Intel have been giving performance away for free all these years, how generous of them!

A 20% uplift for an equivalent price; inflation accounted for of course; would have been an enticing proposition.

Glad I'm not the only one!

If we have to make big increases in budget for the progress we're used to then the whole notion of excitement around PC technology fades for me.

"Nvidia's 8080 64GB is more expensive than my house, but that's technological progress for you!" :p

Soldato

Your not grasping the times were in at moment mate look how much the last gen gpu have gone up since covid like you I dont like it but it is what it is it's not just amd its everything from basic food has gone up like I said I dont like it but hopefully things will eventually get back to something near normal if you dont want to pay the price dont pay it no one is going to make you I'm going to wait and hopefully price will come down and then I'll buy .same with a gpu when prices come down I'll upgrade mine

Last edited:
Caporegime
Your not grasping the times were in at moment mate look how much the last gen gpu have gone up since covid like you I dont like it but it is what it is it's not just amd its everything from basic food has gone up like I said I dont like it but hopefully things will eventually get back to something near normal
I honestly haven't noticed the cost of food or basics like fuel going up? OK we had "peak toilet paper" a few months ago but that settled down again :p

Soldato
I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about paying £100 more for a 20% uplift in performance. If it was an extra £100 for 20% performance on a GPU, people would bite your hand off for it.

Depends. If you buy a CPU for £100-200 then paying another £100/50% more for a 20% performance jump probably doesn't seem like a great deal.

If you buy a £500 CPU then £100 for a 20% boost probably seems like a bargain.

Associate
Why should AMD be cheaper if they have a superior product?
Because they want people to buy it, to be flippant.

But really, it's not just the increase, it's the gaps in the product stack on top of that.

If Zen 2 only had 3600X and 3800X for mid range chips, it wouldn't quite have the reputation of strong value it does. I think that's what's missing.

Soldato
£100 more on a £200 CPU is a 50% price increase which is over double that of the performance gain.

I would like to see how many here would have reacted had AMD marked up the 5900X and 5950X by 50% to £750 and £1500 as many of the people agreeing with the price rises seem to be buying these SKUs so £100 to them don't seem like much.

Soldato
Because they want people to buy it, to be flippant.

But really, it's not just the increase, it's the gaps in the product stack on top of that.

If Zen 2 only had 3600X and 3800X for mid range chips, it wouldn't quite have the reputation of strong value it does. I think that's what's missing.
People will buy it no matter what the price is.

Soldato
I honestly haven't noticed the cost of food or basics like fuel going up? OK we had "peak toilet paper" a few months ago but that settled down again :p
Ok I'll refraise it a lot of the offers on food have gone like tinned fruit is now a pound a tin but you could get 2 for 1pound 50 other items are the same like I say I can see where your coming from and hopefully after launch the prices will come down

Caporegime
People will buy it no matter what the price is.
Who is buying the 5600X if it was £500 :p Or £400. Or £350.

See, pricing is quite sensitive at least at the lower end.

I have no doubt that the 5900X could have been £700 and the 5950X £1000 and people would have bought it. But that's a different kettle of fish.

Back
Top Bottom