Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
I've started to notice a light green band about 18" wide & 1" high 3/4 of the way down the screen of my 3 year old B7.
It's only noticeable with certain background colours but now it's there I'm noticing it more & more.

Got a 5 year warranty with John Lewis so may contact them to see where I stand on a repair.

Soldato
Good Morning Britain amongst other really need to tone down there on screen graphics.

Or these manufacturers could explain the problem properly instead of brushing over it and offering no support when it happens. You simply cannot watch TV channels with bright logos on an OLED and they should state that., but of course that leaves them open to legal issues.

The series 7 panels are more prone to burn-in than newer panels

Well it remains to be seen if that is actually the case in the real world, people claimed the series 7 was burn in resistant when it was released. Time will tell.

Associate
I'm tired of the crap image quality of my 3 year old regular LED TV. I was considering the Philips 55OLED754/12 for just under a grand but all this burn-in talk makes me extremely worried. I watch maybe 4-5 hours of TV/Youtube/Twitch a day and game for an hour or two multiple times a day if there is a new game out I really want to play.

I can't afford to replace it in a year or two if I start to get bad burn in.

V F

V F

Soldato
Regardless of viewing habits, it's really not on for a TV to not be able to be a TV without damaging itself. In the summer I'll usually have the cricket on non-stop during test matches, seems like that sort of viewing isn't compatible with LG's OLED panels.

This still goes back to the Plasma days. Any bright white graphics on the screen for long viewing is a no go. It's why I never view news or shopping channels on the Plasma or OLED. Just incase. Certain sport channels you can get away with it.

Gaming I've never had issues on OLED with white graphics but they aren't huge. Plus with games you get options to make the UI elements transparent so it's not full white.

Soldato
I'm tired of the crap image quality of my 3 year old regular LED TV. I was considering the Philips 55OLED754/12 for just under a grand but all this burn-in talk makes me extremely worried. I watch maybe 4-5 hours of TV/Youtube/Twitch a day and game for an hour or two multiple times a day if there is a new game out I really want to play.

I can't afford to replace it in a year or two if I start to get bad burn in.

If you can’t afford to replace it or afford the burn in protection from John Lewis, then I agree; give it a miss.

Soldato
Well it remains to be seen if that is actually the case in the real world, people claimed the series 7 was burn in resistant when it was released. Time will tell.

Even the series 8 are better, the series 7 is particularly prone to burn-in for the red pixels.

That said, I've had the W7 for 2-3 years and have gamed on it regularly and any burn-in I have is minimal.

Associate
but you must be able to calculate precisely how many of the total hours have actually been taken watching GMB for example, and whether Nick or shield have had similar usage.
eg. I know radio four is on from 6-8am at least 5 days a week.

Well, my wife was on maternity leave so she did watch a lot of TV while off. Exactly how much, I have no idea. One can assume it's been between 7am - 9am but she doesn't watch GMB daily. Nick was left on a lot, that was the first to appear and to be fait to Nick, they changed their logo which has not burned in, but then again, Nick is now banned in our house due to these issues.

The shield is strange, this burn in has happened in the time taken to pick something to watch which is no more than 5-10 mins.

The logos aren't the worst though. The central blob is really noticeable when viewing the TV and there is nothing I can do to avoid it. To me, this clearly indicates there is a panel issue, but LG are not having it. What irritates me further is that if I were American, this would be fixed for free, but as usual, if you're British, you pay for it, if if the TV is defective.

Soldato
Having read this thread, my imminent tv upgrade will not be an oled. The usage it will get in my household make it a certainty that screen burn will happen.
why take the chance

Me either, not until they fix the tech (or replace it). The number of times my wife pauses something "for a minute while I pop into the kitchen", and then she's making food for fifteen minutes. I just can't trust her to baby an OLED TV (not that she should have to). Even if we did, I can't trust that a panel won't be damaged just from normal usage on anything with a logo or ticker on the screen. It's not a hassle I'm willing to put up with when there are other alternatives.

Like a lot of things, it may look great in the shop, but living with it day to day it not always desirable.

Associate
One thing the newer lg oleds have is a screen saver that kicks in when a feed is paused for a minute or so. I have an c9 and this happens whenever I leave netflix paused. I do feel a bit nervous watching tv with channel logos for long periods but haven't seen any burn in after 10 months of owning the tv. Having said that my usage is pretty light and I don't game on it. I don't think I would go back to an led tv even if I did get burn in as the oled image quality, especially in a dark room, is pretty unbeatable.

Soldato
One thing the newer lg oleds have is a screen saver that kicks in when a feed is paused for a minute or so. I have an c9 and this happens whenever I leave netflix paused. I do feel a bit nervous watching tv with channel logos for long periods but haven't seen any burn in after 10 months of owning the tv. Having said that my usage is pretty light and I don't game on it. I don't think I would go back to an led tv even if I did get burn in as the oled image quality, especially in a dark room, is pretty unbeatable.

The screensaver only works on the inbuilt apps which is annoying.

Associate
The screensaver only works on the inbuilt apps which is annoying.

That's true. I think you can say "screen off" into the mic on the remote as a workaround when pausing but the screensaver should work with everything without user interaction.

Associate
What about, the OCUK forums for example? I often look this and many other webpages on my tv, Sky news etc. etc. the risk is unnecessary

There is a non negligible risk of burn in if you view the same static content for long periods on oleds. You can minimise this by reducing the oled light settings and varying the content you display on it. I think it's pretty unlikely a few hours a day of watching Sky news or viewing websites on an oled will lead to burn in - or permanent image retention. It should take years before that happens. There are tests on rtings and hdtvtest showing oleds running for thousands of hours displaying the same content without burn in.

Based on the number of sales of oleds and the lack of people reporting burn in problems I think the fear of burn in is far greater than the chance of it happening. Hopefully not my famous last words on it!!

Back
Top Bottom