• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Exactly. The feature set like RTX/DXR is implemented into the game/engine and typically is configured with a bunch of different parameters. So the hard work is the implementation but telling it to run with reflections at 1/2 resolution or 1/4 resolution is just 1 setting. So the consoles will get RT support it will just be low fidelity and increasing that fidelity for the PC by casting more rays at higher resolution for example, that'll be trivial to implement.

Exactly, it wont. It'll reach a GPU bottleneck before the 3080 does. Which makes me think that without even seeing benchmarks for things like FS2020, Avengers, Crysis all at 4k Ultra that it's reasonable to predict it'll be crawling along with unplayable frame rates before it's even close to 10Gb of vRAM use (I'll qualify that by saying 10Gb of vRAM used, not allocated of course :) )

Yeah I think the bottomline is the RTX 3080 and AMD 6800XT are both coming to become irrelavant around the same ammount of time. Which one lags behind which first at 4K is going to be based on whether VRAM adoption and big caches become more popular or RT effects.

Given new consoles are packing RT... RT seems to be the likely graphical element to be suped-up. Now the counterargument is RT will be optimised for consoles running on AMD hardware; yes; but as we've seen in the past, those same optimisations seldom get trickled down as delicately to PC.

Soldato
Also worth remembering, the 6800 XT was 5% on average slower than the 3080 at 4K over 18 games tested on harware unboxed. How will that 5% advantage fair in 6-12months time given driver optimisations? I bet it's down to 0% before long. (going off past history)

I just watched the HU review and it's a very good showing for the 6800XT at the 1440P resolution which most gamers play at. The 4K results seem a bit hit and miss and may be driver related imo since the 6800XT beats the 3080 in some games such as AC Odyssey and World War Z but generally trails behind in others.

HU only tested a few games with SAM enabled but the feature really makes the 6800XT shine as it seems to reduce the deficit at 4K by a few percent and also pushes it past the 3090 at lower resolutions.

Great card overall and no doubt will improve as drivers mature. Fine wine anyone?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't put any money on current cards having good features to do future raytracing.

AMD turned up five minutes ago and Nvidia still takes a huge performance hit on their second go at it. Less of a hit using RT on a lower resolution scaled up (DLSS) but is that going to be the way it gets done in future?

Associate
These are the unreleased games on that list as far as i could tell.
Cyberpunk 2077
Vampire
Synced Off Planet
Dying Light 2
Atomic Heart

You tried to move the goal posts and now you're getting pissy because i called you out on it.

You did not win, your trying to make the exchange sound like you did. Everyone must be thick to you. 5 games is more than the 1 more you ask for, so cry me a river. You are like the idoit who still argues 10GB of vRAM is a big deal bucause of Godfall texture pack needs 12GB of vRAM. Godfall releases and its more like 6GB for the HD texture pack. You are fooling no one.

Associate
Does anyone think next weeks AIB cards will be more than £700 cos thats all im willing to pay.

I would assume the first drop of mid-range AIB's will be under £700 considering the reference was £587 from AMD. All depends on the availability. The Powercolor and Sapphire should be good.

Soldato
You did not win, your trying to make the exchange sound like you did. Everyone must be thick to you. 5 games is more than the 1 more you ask for, so cry me a river.
Do you even remember your own posts?

You said
There are lots of photorealistic games coming that use RT.

5 games in the grand scheme of games released on a yearly basis is not a lot. and I'm being generous since i already named one them.

You seem emotionally invested in this conversation. I would recommend you go and cool your head.

Caporegime
But what happens when Nvidia do there version?
And Sam was only 2% to none difference
How easy would it be to validate this with other hardware vendors?

It's not just a GPU tweak, it has to be validated on the CPU and Motherboard side over all those manufacturers, being added via BIOS/Ageesa updates.

What if the motherboard is no longer receiving active updates?

I could be totally wrong, but i don't believe it's something that you'll see next month in a driver update.

Permabanned
Are you going to replay a game because it has RT? Are you going to buy a game you skipped because of RT? Do you think devs are going to take away resources from future games to assign it to an old game that has no future monetary value to the company? And implement it in a way that is better than turning it off?

It is not an easy "tack on" you need to go through and check how all the shaders look and respond to this new system, as well as debugging and performance testing the entire game.

Nvidia has a team assembled whos job is to go back and revamp old games with RT just as they have done with Quake 2 RTX. I for one will be playing them. Fingers crossed for Thief RTX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom