• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 232 26.1%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
The thing is although the Xbox GPU is more powerful most of that is in extra units (increased parallelism) but overall it has a lower clockspeed, that means if all of the units are not being utilised it will be slower. It's like comparing a 3ghz 8 core processor to a 4ghz 6 core processor, if you run something that only really makes use of 6 or less cores then the 6-core processor will be faster.

Soldato
The gap can widen either way though. It's like having two similair spec supercars, totally depends who is driving each one.
Don't be fooled into thinking it's a given the X will do better because we already see it isn't.

Soldato
It is a given though? A more powerful console will show when developers use the full power of the console and that will be better than a less powerful console doing the same. To use a similar analogy, Lewis is now a seven times world champion. Sebastian Vettel didn't win a race this year. Both great drivers, but one machine is simply better than the other. It's now up to the games released to show this.

PlayStation right now has a couple of games that show off some of the new consoles capabilities. In time, they both will.

Soldato
If devs don't make the best use of the tech then all those extra pipelines are worthless.

Same as haptics, HD Rumble was great on the Switch but doesn't seem like even Nintendo are bothering to use it.

I read that the PS5 haptics are from the same firm.who created HD Rumble so I wouldn't be surprised if MS license it and add it into an Elite 3 controller in the near future and then make it standard at some point.

Soldato
If devs don't make the best use of the tech then all those extra pipelines are worthless.

Same as haptics, HD Rumble was great on the Switch but doesn't seem like even Nintendo are bothering to use it.

I read that the PS5 haptics are from the same firm.who created HD Rumble so I wouldn't be surprised if MS license it and add it into an Elite 3 controller in the near future and then make it standard at some point.

That's what I'm (possibly badly) trying to get across. Potential vs realised is a totally different thing. Give me a faster car than even an amateur race driver and he's still going to trounce me despite the potential of mine.

Associate
Mine was meant to be delivered yesterday by yodel, but apparently they tried to deliver and no one was in and they've sent it back to Very. I'm not happy.

You can't even speak to someone at yodel.

Soldato
That's what I'm (possibly badly) trying to get across. Potential vs realised is a totally different thing. Give me a faster car than even an amateur race driver and he's still going to trounce me despite the potential of mine.

Agree mate, it's still early doors and devs are working cross platform and with new tools so will take time to see, it may be Microsoft need to improve things on their side.

Soldato
Agree mate, it's still early doors and devs are working cross platform and with new tools so will take time to see, it may be Microsoft need to improve things on their side.

Yep the early comparisons mean nothing really, both systems will improve with time and not worth getting hung up about on.

Soldato
Yep the early comparisons mean nothing really, both systems will improve with time and not worth getting hung up about on.

The haptics and triggers on the PS5 look ace, I'm excited to play Astro with my girls.

Managed to bag one with John Lewis, I think, will see if actually available to collect...

Still love my Switch and Series X, great time to be a gamer.

Associate
Good Morning All,

My series X seems to be superb but space looks like it will become an issue sooner rather than later. I will buy the expansion card.
Is it worth waiting for black Friday/cyber Monday or being new is this unlikely to be discounted?

Thanks

Soldato
GTA IV springs to mind here. It's my favourite, but it's an absolute pig.

Oh god yeah I remember. It's annoying because as you say AC:V should run better on SX by all accounts, but as it turns out both versions are sub par with tearing and choppy framerates :( I fear that having VRR will be used as a crutch despite it being an uncommon feature on most users tv's.

Soldato
The gap can widen either way though. It's like having two similair spec supercars, totally depends who is driving each one.
Don't be fooled into thinking it's a given the X will do better because we already see it isn't.

I'm really not sure how you can be saying that a more powerful console in hardware won't be more powerful just because the developers might be different or one might be more capable than another. Eventually you'll reach a point where the devs are equal, much like the car drivers in the scenario described. It doesn't change the fact that it's a more powerful console in hardware, and also doesn't change the fact that there are going to be developers that can harness that to the full potential. If PS5 developers harness the PS5 to the full potential and Xbox developers harness the Xbox to the full potential, then that equates to the Xbox being more powerful, because, well, it is.

Soldato
Mine was meant to be delivered yesterday by yodel, but apparently they tried to deliver and no one was in and they've sent it back to Very. I'm not happy.

You can't even speak to someone at yodel.
classic Yodal that.

got the PS5 due today through them 17:40 - 7:40 delivery time. fully expecting a "we tried to deliver..." message with it being that late in the day.

Caporegime
Good Morning All,

My series X seems to be superb but space looks like it will become an issue sooner rather than later. I will buy the expansion card.
Is it worth waiting for black Friday/cyber Monday or being new is this unlikely to be discounted?

Thanks
How long is a piece of string??

No one knows for sure but taking a guess...I doubt it.

Soldato
I'm really not sure how you can be saying that a more powerful console in hardware won't be more powerful just because the developers might be different or one might be more capable than another. Eventually you'll reach a point where the devs are equal, much like the car drivers in the scenario described. It doesn't change the fact that it's a more powerful console in hardware, and also doesn't change the fact that there are going to be developers that can harness that to the full potential. If PS5 developers harness the PS5 to the full potential and Xbox developers harness the Xbox to the full potential, then that equates to the Xbox being more powerful, because, well, it is.

I'm not saying that, the hardware on paper is more powerful that is a fact. I think the car analogy is perhaps wrong here. I'd be willing to bet that an accomplished dev say Naughty Dog can and will make much better looking games (and performance) than a lesser dev on Xbox. The hardware advantage doesn't count for anything if you have lazy or not as capable people developing for it.
I'm not sure having a more powerful console that is performing worse is really something to be happy about regardless.

Back
Top Bottom