Quake II RTX

Man of Honour
Launches fine for me - I've had 2 crashes with this update though one related to swapping between window and fullscreen mode and the other I'm not sure what happened.

There are a few bugs with the temporal AA option (default) if you use certain dynamic resolution scaling options as well which might stop the game starting.

Soldato
Launches fine for me - I've had 2 crashes with this update though one related to swapping between window and fullscreen mode and the other I'm not sure what happened.

There are a few bugs with the temporal AA option (default) if you use certain dynamic resolution scaling options as well which might stop the game starting.
Thanks. Could be related to some Vulkan driver I am lacking as am on older GPU drivers (445.87) It worked fine before so whatever has changed with the driver(s) seems to be causing it. I deleted and fully re-installed but that didnt sort it.
Driver wise, the new ones with Reflex cause issues with latency in COD MW / Warzone so i'm not updating to the 460 drivers

Edit - yes, appears to be driver related

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/drivers/results/167951/

Game Ready for Quake II RTX with Vulkan Ray Tracing
Our latest Game Ready Driver provides support for the Quake II RTX v1.4.0 update which enables support for the new Vulkan Ray Tracing extensions. Now, any GPU with support for Vulkan Ray Tracing can experience Quake II RTX in all its path-traced glory.

I updated to 460.89, fired up the game and it defaults to Vulkan RTX. There is no difference in performance between Nvidia and Vulkcan going by timedmeo1 & demo demo1.

Reverted my machine to 445.87 drivers and it fails to load again. Brilliant update, breaks support for older drivers whilst providing zero performance improvement from Vulkan RTX

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Edit - yes, appears to be driver related

This is a fairly significant change both within the Vulkan API and within the drivers - there is no way to have both active within an application without requiring an updated Vulkan and driver.

The significant bit is that the game now supports any GPU than can use Vulkan RT including AMD's 6000 series and potentially wider range of nVidia products (though I'm not sure the status there).

Soldato
This is a fairly significant change both within the Vulkan API and within the drivers - there is no way to have both active within an application without requiring an updated Vulkan and driver.

The significant bit is that the game now supports any GPU than can use Vulkan RT including AMD's 6000 series and potentially wider range of nVidia products (though I'm not sure the status there).
My 2080ti works fine using the Vulkan driver in Doom, but for some reason not this.
I’ll figure it out, probably needs some other driver for it to work now

Man of Honour
My 2080ti works fine using the Vulkan driver in Doom, but for some reason not this.
I’ll figure it out, probably needs some other driver for it to work now

Might be misunderstanding but this update uses a new Vulkan feature set that isn't used by Doom and requires the new driver which includes the updated Vulkan API as well as driver support for the new Vulkan features.

Soldato
Might be misunderstanding but this update uses a new Vulkan feature set that isn't used by Doom and requires the new driver which includes the updated Vulkan API as well as driver support for the new Vulkan features.
Are right makes sense, thanks.

Do you know if the new Vulkan API can be downloaded seperately to the full Nvidia driver package?

For some reason the later drivers once Reflex (‘nvidia low latency’) was added increases CPU latency time by 8ms in Warzone & COD MW

Soldato

it did look like the vulkan extensions were for 10 series as well weirdly, as well as variable shading, texture feedback etc. Looked like they had brought dx12 ultimate features to vulkan on 10 series.

Man of Honour
Are right makes sense, thanks.

Do you know if the new Vulkan API can be downloaded seperately to the full Nvidia driver package?

For some reason the later drivers once Reflex (‘nvidia low latency’) was added increases CPU latency time by 8ms in Warzone & COD MW

You need the newer drivers - the older ones don't support the new features in the updated Vulkan API.

Soldato
You need the newer drivers - the older ones don't support the new features in the updated Vulkan API.
After Reflex was introduced into Nvidia drivers my CPU latency goes up from 3ms to 11ms in COD MW / Warzone. It feels like its turning off gsync which isnt nice.
Reflex is off by default but i think its reducing CPU usage causing the latency.
There are a few random posts on Nvidia forums by people who suggest trying sn older driver.
Until i find a solution I’ll just not have to play Quake II rtx i suppose

Associate
I just love this game. The new vulkan drivers work a treat and it sure has changed now with a 3090 and RTX 78fps. Reminds me of the first time i played it on 2 vodoo2 cards scanline interface ( SLI ) at 44fps back in the day when a P2 450mhz was king and PC100 ram lol with voodoo 3D magic back in the day.
windows 98 and your US robotics dial up modem at 56k a massive 4gig hardrive and a pioneer 4x DVDR or 2 for direct copy CD/DVD lol floppy drive for raid drivers on install lol 1080 monitor at 60hz and you was king of the world with your 480mhz overclock lol and 20 odd years later that game i still enjoy in its finer glory!

Soldato
windows 98 and your US robotics dial up modem at 56k a massive 4gig hardrive and a pioneer 4x DVDR or 2 for direct copy CD/DVD lol floppy drive for raid drivers on install lol 1080 monitor at 60hz and you was king of the world with your 480mhz overclock lol and 20 odd years later that game i still enjoy in its finer glory!
I just passed out reading that without stopping to breath! :D

1080p monitor during times of 56k modem and 4GB HDD. No way!
Largest screen I had was a Dell 17" that did 1024 x 768 in the mid - late 90s. This looked incredible in comparison to 640 x 480 on a 15".
1080p didnt arrive until mid - late 2000s, maybe ~2008

Golden years of gaming was definately late 90s. Voodoo 2, 1024 x 768 playing games like Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake II & Half Life. The point where PC hardware started quickly accelerating past consoles. N64 and Playstation had some cracking games however in terms of technology graphics wise, there was never anything like Unreal or Half Life in console form (well, there was on PS2 but it was terrible and had to use scanlines to make it playable too)

Associate
I just passed out reading that without stopping to breath! :D

1080p monitor during times of 56k modem and 4GB HDD. No way!
Largest screen I had was a Dell 17" that did 1024 x 768 in the mid - late 90s. This looked incredible in comparison to 640 x 480 on a 15".
1080p didnt arrive until mid - late 2000s, maybe ~2008

Golden years of gaming was definately late 90s. Voodoo 2, 1024 x 768 playing games like Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake II & Half Life. The point where PC hardware started quickly accelerating past consoles. N64 and Playstation had some cracking games however in terms of technology graphics wise, there was never anything like Unreal or Half Life in console form (well, there was on PS2 but it was terrible and had to use scanlines to make it playable too)

Most likely right there, was not 1080p but 1074 17" sony lol but anyway it was voodoo2 scanline loveliness lol

Associate
I just love this game. The new vulkan drivers work a treat and it sure has changed now with a 3090 and RTX 78fps. Reminds me of the first time i played it on 2 vodoo2 cards scanline interface ( SLI ) at 44fps back in the day when a P2 450mhz was king and PC100 ram lol with voodoo 3D magic back in the day.

4k?

Soldato
The issue with it crashing is now sorted. - https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/100

Having a playthough again. RTX really does change the game

XurMUTz.jpg

@vapor matt do you notice a difference in FPS between the Vulcan extensions and Nvidia extensions? Could you try running the timedemo for each with the same settings. There was no difference for me either on the new Nvidia drivers or my current older ones

tilde (console)
timedemo 1
demo demo1

Associate
The issue with it crashing is now sorted. - https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/100

Having a playthough again. RTX really does change the game

XurMUTz.jpg

@vapor matt do you notice a difference in FPS between the Vulcan extensions and Nvidia extensions? Could you try running the timedemo for each with the same settings. There was no difference for me either on the new Nvidia drivers or my current older ones

tilde (console)
timedemo 1
demo demo1

I dont notice any difference but you have to select vulcan in options, i think i prefere vulcan though. smooth as butter

Soldato
I dont notice any difference but you have to select vulcan in options, i think i prefere vulcan though. smooth as butter
I know, have you tried the timedemo with Nvidia extensions then the same with Vulkan? I imagine both are smooth as butter on your 3090 at 1440p

My settings are highest, 3440 x 1440 but set resolution scaling to 50fps and minimum scale 85%
This seems to work well on a 2080Ti and don't really notice a difference in quality at that res

Man of Honour
New update out with the focus on fixes for AMD GPUs including some crash fixes (I believe AMD will also be releasing a driver update at some point soon with RT fixes).

Hey, everyone! Today we're releasing v1.4.1, featuring the below fixed issues and improvements.

Fixed issues:

Denoiser Improvements:
  • Reduced the noise on first person weapons.

Misc Improvements:
  • Added a driver version check for AMD GPUs to make sure that at least version 21.1.1 is used.
  • Added an option to build `glslangValidator` as a submodule.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom