** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
I received my g7 one day last week on firmware 1009. Picture is superb but a lot of little bugs. Mine doesn't auto switch on when pc or xbox one x is powered up. Playing on warzone I randomly keep getting like a little frame on the bottom and right hand edge almost like it's, windowed. I checked and its always fullscreen. If I make a change to the resolution or frame size.. It goes... For a few minutes then comes back. If I select the xbox menu on pc whilst playing warzone... There's a delay, like it goes from hdr to non hdr and screen goes blank for a moment. I never had this issue on my acer predator. I've set the nvidia menu to 144hz 10 bit rgb. But in the monitor options it's always 240hz and in warzone its, set to 240hz even though I change it back to 144hz.. It'll go back!

What is your gpu?

Associate
Yeh I've just measured my 27". Its around 12.5" front to back

That's great, thanks. I'm still undecided, the flickering issue some have with G-Sync concerns me, or does it happen in Freesync mode too? The more research I do and coupled with the heavy curve (no way to go and see one locally to gauge if I could get used to it ATM) I think there may be too many potential negatives.

Associate
That's great, thanks. I'm still undecided, the flickering issue some have with G-Sync concerns me, or does it happen in Freesync mode too? The more research I do and coupled with the heavy curve (no way to go and see one locally to gauge if I could get used to it ATM) I think there may be too many potential negatives.
This is my 1st curved screen and at first it's wierd but I've gotten used to it already and now, seems normal when gaming. I don't get flickering others have mentioned. But then I've only used it a week. Image quality is incredible though. I looked at loads of different panels before deciding on this and glad I did. Went to rtings website and it compares this alongside others in its spec like the LG 27GN850b and this, was apparently much better.

Associate
This is my 1st curved screen and at first it's wierd but I've gotten used to it already and now, seems normal when gaming. I don't get flickering others have mentioned. But then I've only used it a week. Image quality is incredible though. I looked at loads of different panels before deciding on this and glad I did. Went to rtings website and it compares this alongside others in its spec like the LG 27GN850b and this, was apparently much better.

Good to know you like the curve. Looking at photos of it in a setup it doesn't look too bad at all. The Rtings review is what got me interested in the first place, it's scores really well on there. I like the idea of going VA as I usually play at night once the kids are in bed so the better contrast compared to IPS should be readily visible, plus this new panel seems to have resolved/minimised the typical issues VA has with fast paced games.

I'm still torn between this and a 34" UW, I love the additional size for desktop use but they're costly and the cheaper ones all have too many compromises (there's an Acer one that looks good but it isn't curved, and at that size it seems more necessary).

Associate
Good to know you like the curve. Looking at photos of it in a setup it doesn't look too bad at all. The Rtings review is what got me interested in the first place, it's scores really well on there. I like the idea of going VA as I usually play at night once the kids are in bed so the better contrast compared to IPS should be readily visible, plus this new panel seems to have resolved/minimised the typical issues VA has with fast paced games.

I'm still torn between this and a 34" UW, I love the additional size for desktop use but they're costly and the cheaper ones all have too many compromises (there's an Acer one that looks good but it isn't curved, and at that size it seems more necessary).
I'd think that 34" uw will almost ruin the 1440p benefits of a decent resolution and ppi. I'd probably look at 4k at that size. My previous panel was an acer predator tn 1440p 144hz but this is so much sharper, brighter. The image looks "cleaner".
The legs on the monitor as well spread so whilst they stick far forward. You can make use of the gap between them and put The keyboard there.

Associate
I'd think that 34" uw will almost ruin the 1440p benefits of a decent resolution and ppi. I'd probably look at 4k at that size. My previous panel was an acer predator tn 1440p 144hz but this is so much sharper, brighter. The image looks "cleaner".
The legs on the monitor as well spread so whilst they stick far forward. You can make use of the gap between them and put The keyboard there.

A 34" 21:9 1440p has the same PPI as a 16:9 27" 1440p monitor so sharpness shouldn't be an issue. My concern with an UW is that running more demanding games at 16:9 1440p with black bars at the side won't allow Freesync to work, as the 1080 Ti will struggle in some games at the higher resolution and a GPU upgrade will have to wait a while due to the current prices.

On the other hand the G7 wouldn't have any such issues, I'm just worried I'll get unlucky with flickering. Decisions, decisions!

Associate
My G9 was built in September and once I'd updated to the latest version BIOS it works perfectly in every way, totally jaw dropping performance.

I was really nervous because of the shameful earlier QA issues but all seems good, for me anyway, so far.

I would really recommend it for gaming, but I am mainly into sedate games such as Divinity Original Sin 2 and Farcry 5.

Farcry 5 is breath-taking, vibrant, colourful and the sheer size of the screen makes it something really special.

Not had a flight sim installed for many years but tempted with the MS one just because of the G9

I'm on my 3rd G9 and it has a dead pixel, but I don't care, I'm keeping it even though I could swap it out again.
I sat playing Forza 4 last night for a few hours and it's just a thing of beauty in every way. The HDR and colours are fantastic, it just looks real.

Associate
So if your nvidia CP is set to 144Hz and your monitor settings is set to 240Hz, does the monitor keep blinking off and on or does it still work properly?
It doesn't blink, I think the screen blinking I get is between hdr and non hdr modes... It goes blank for like a second or 2. I wanted to use the 10 bit option which I believe is limited to 144 hz anyway?

Associate
It doesn't blink, I think the screen blinking I get is between hdr and non hdr modes... It goes blank for like a second or 2. I wanted to use the 10 bit option which I believe is limited to 144 hz anyway?

I have been testing my G7 at 144Hz, 10 bit, and it seems to be stable so far.
- I updated nvidia drivers to latest build
- Monitor refresh rate is set to 144hz both in NV CP and in monitor Settings
- I disabled Adaptive Synch in monitor settings and Gsynch in NV CP
- I disabled local dimming and dynamic brightness
- And i use cable3d HBR3 DP1.4 vesa certified cable

Last edited:
Associate
I received my G9 on Saturday having had one briefly in July last year (returned due to the bezel separation issue) and this one is absolutely spot on. No dead pixels, no bezel issues and it’s running the 1009 firmware so I assume it’s a recent build. It’s running off a FE 3090 GFX GPU and so far no issues with flickering but I haven’t really pushed it yet. What are the main outstanding problems I should look out for now or has Samsung ironed out most of the early problems?

Soldato
Morning, can I ask how these monitors perform with the Windows 10 desktop? I am looking at the 32" monitor for a dual purpose of gaming and my home based work PC, as I am remotely supporting teachers and staff at several schools. Are the fonts 'blurry' and the icons larger than the 27" I will be migrating from? As the monitor has the same PPI as a 27", and I only sit about 2 feet away from, should I be concerned?

Last edited:
Associate
Morning, can I ask how these monitors perform with the Windows 10 desktop? I am looking at the 32" monitor for a dual purpose of gaming and my home based work PC, as I am remotely supporting teachers and staff at several schools. Are the fonts 'blurry' and the icons larger than the 27" I will be migrating from? As the monitor has the same PPI as a 27", and I only sit about 2 feet away from, should I be concerned?
No - mine is used mainly for work and find all the fonts etc clear and easy to read.

Associate
I received my G9 on Saturday having had one briefly in July last year (returned due to the bezel separation issue) and this one is absolutely spot on. No dead pixels, no bezel issues and it’s running the 1009 firmware so I assume it’s a recent build. It’s running off a FE 3090 GFX GPU and so far no issues with flickering but I haven’t really pushed it yet. What are the main outstanding problems I should look out for now or has Samsung ironed out most of the early problems?

1009? I thought the latest was 1008 something?

Associate

Not sure if this is any h
1009? I thought the latest was 1008 something?
Mine is 1009 - I think the latest are coming from the factory with an, as yet, unreleased firmware.

Associate
Mine is 1009 - I think the latest are coming from the factory with an, as yet, unreleased firmware.
Latest G9 Firmware is 1010.2 for units manufactured in January 2021. I've already contacted Samsung Korea for a download link for both 1009.0 and 1010.2 however the first reply I got was the usual low level support answer ("doesn't exist, latest one is 1008.1" :rolleyes:).

Back
Top Bottom