** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Hi guys,

I've been tempted by one of these (G9) since I first saw them, and now this thread has grown to 146 pages! Is there any chance someone can summarise the things I need to look out for when receiving the monitor please? Also any known bugs and associated fixes. Also the model numbers that seem to be the better ones!

Not sure if it's possible to get someone to pin it to the start of the thread which would make it much more helpful. There seem to be so many different things that have come up over the last 6 months it's hard to figure out from the number of posts which ones have now been fixed and which ones are still there!

Can someone point me in the direction of the overclocks returns policy on monitors, I can't find it on the website or being blind!

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my 32" set up, coming from an old 1920x1080 60hz samsung to this, it is epic. I cant find any bad pixels or light bleed. My last monitor lasted about 8 years so I'm sure this one will last as long. Expensive but worth every penny.

Associate
Just got my 32" set up, coming from an old 1920x1080 60hz samsung to this, it is epic. I cant find any bad pixels or light bleed. My last monitor lasted about 8 years so I'm sure this one will last as long. Expensive but worth every penny.

Your going to love it especially if you game, the 240hz rejuvenated this aging gamer I now realise why some people had lightning smooth speed. Have look back through the thread as there are plenty of good recommendations on settings and menu options you'll miss if you don't go right down the list with the toggle. Glad I stuck with mine which is a good un, the flicker annoyed the hell out of me but that was fixed with the last firmware update. Enjoy!

Associate
I was just testing it with CP2077 and I did have some flicker. I am already on the new firmware I believe 1009.3? I will have a look through the thread and play with the settings tomorrow.

Soldato
Hi all who has the ergatron HX with the G9?, how is the support with the tilt pivot as I have tightend to the max and it still tilts slightly, I know there is an extra heavy tilt swivel being released but wondering if anyone has solved he issue

Associate
Hi all who has the ergatron HX with the G9?, how is the support with the tilt pivot as I have tightend to the max and it still tilts slightly, I know there is an extra heavy tilt swivel being released but wondering if anyone has solved he issue

Use the 2 x screw method for now. Its working for me whilst I too wait for the proper HX Heavy Tilt Mechanism:

ogmucz4w5vn51.png

Associate
Thanks for that, Im trying to source a heavy duty tilt/swivel at the moment, Not sure they are so hard to get
They only started manufacturing the new mechanism back in Dec. The first units have not arrived yet in the Uk. Some have arrived in the USA.

Associate
Hi guys,

I've been tempted by one of these (G9) since I first saw them, and now this thread has grown to 146 pages! Is there any chance someone can summarise the things I need to look out for when receiving the monitor please? Also any known bugs and associated fixes. Also the model numbers that seem to be the better ones!

Not sure if it's possible to get someone to pin it to the start of the thread which would make it much more helpful. There seem to be so many different things that have come up over the last 6 months it's hard to figure out from the number of posts which ones have now been fixed and which ones are still there!

Can someone point me in the direction of the overclocks returns policy on monitors, I can't find it on the website or being blind!

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks!!

So, I've now had 5 of these, I'll briefly cover the issues that each one had in order:

1) June model (N6): Bezel bleed (backlight showing through the bezel of the monitor); flickering (but only really noticed it in menus); last 1cm at the bottom of the screen faded to grey across the full width of the display; loud popping sounds as it heated up
2) August model (N8): horrendous flicker issues (sometimes flickering between colder and warmer colours); dead pixels; horizontal scan lines in both 120Hz/240Hz on the UFO inversion uniformity pattern and some web sites
3) September model (N9): backlight bleed making dark scenes very washed out; bad black level uniformity; coil whine on some images; fade to grey at the bottom of the screen; scan line issue
4) October model (NA): Extremely bad backlight bleed in HDR, so much so it was difficult to see things in dark scenes - it was like there was a constant grey film over the screen
5) October model (NA): A couple of poorly performing pixels (possibly dirt trapped between the pixels and the outer layer of the screen); Flickering issues (Adaptive sync is enabled on the monitor as is VRR control and I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers).

With monitor number 5, I feel really upset about having to send it back because the black levels and black level uniformity are excellent, for that reason the image quality is the best one I have had yet. If it didn't have the flickering issue, then I'd definitely have kept it, even with a couple of pixels that aren't performing well (they are towards the bottom left, so I don't notice them unless I specifically look for them on a white screen).

Anyway, I have an RMA open for it, but I'd happily cancel the RMA if I can fix the flicker issues, so anyone reading this, if you have any ideas as to how to fix it, please let me know, your suggestions are very welcome.

Just to clarify, I'm running the following settings
[OSD] Adaptive Sync: On
[OSD] VRR Control: On
[OSD] 240Hz (but the same flicker occurs if it is on 120Hz mode too)
[Nvidia Control Panel] G-Sync enabled for full screen and windowed
[Nvidia Control Panel] G-Sync enabled for the display
[Game] HDR: On
[Nvidia Driver] Version: 461.40 (RTX 2080)

Associate
So, I've now had 5 of these, I'll briefly cover the issues that each one had in order:

1) June model (N6): Bezel bleed (backlight showing through the bezel of the monitor); flickering (but only really noticed it in menus); last 1cm at the bottom of the screen faded to grey across the full width of the display; loud popping sounds as it heated up
2) August model (N8): horrendous flicker issues (sometimes flickering between colder and warmer colours); dead pixels; horizontal scan lines in both 120Hz/240Hz on the UFO inversion uniformity pattern and some web sites
3) September model (N9): backlight bleed making dark scenes very washed out; bad black level uniformity; coil whine on some images; fade to grey at the bottom of the screen; scan line issue
4) October model (NA): Extremely bad backlight bleed in HDR, so much so it was difficult to see things in dark scenes - it was like there was a constant grey film over the screen
5) October model (NA): A couple of poorly performing pixels (possibly dirt trapped between the pixels and the outer layer of the screen); Flickering issues (Adaptive sync is enabled on the monitor as is VRR control and I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers).

With monitor number 5, I feel really upset about having to send it back because the black levels and black level uniformity are excellent, for that reason the image quality is the best one I have had yet. If it didn't have the flickering issue, then I'd definitely have kept it, even with a couple of pixels that aren't performing well (they are towards the bottom left, so I don't notice them unless I specifically look for them on a white screen).

Anyway, I have an RMA open for it, but I'd happily cancel the RMA if I can fix the flicker issues, so anyone reading this, if you have any ideas as to how to fix it, please let me know, your suggestions are very welcome.

Just to clarify, I'm running the following settings
[OSD] Adaptive Sync: On
[OSD] VRR Control: On
[OSD] 240Hz (but the same flicker occurs if it is on 120Hz mode too)
[Nvidia Control Panel] G-Sync enabled for full screen and windowed
[Nvidia Control Panel] G-Sync enabled for the display
[Game] HDR: On
[Nvidia Driver] Version: 461.40 (RTX 2080)
What monitor firmware are you running? It should be 1008 - that solved a lot of flicker problems for people.

Permabanned
AFAIR is was FW 1009.3 (G7's not sure if G9 is same build numbers) that added the VRR function to help the flicker but added its own issues, the only thing that will fix it is a revision and ideally a Hardware G-Sync Module.

I got rid of mien by time it was 1008 on the Korean site so did not get to test 1009.

Associate
Alright here is an update, I have played around and realised that the flickering has nothing to do with VRR or adaptive sync, it is a fault in the monitors rendering of certain HDR content at a 5120x1440 - tends to be dark scenes with bright objects, like the night sky with a full moon. So here is a list detailing a subset of what I have tested with the particular scene where I can reliably get flickering:

[Flickering occurs] Description (strike-through means not enabled)
[Yes] 5120x1440, 240Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 5120x1440, 240Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[Yes] 5120x1440, 240Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[Yes] 5120x1440, 120Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 5120x1440, 120Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[Yes] 5120x1440, 120Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[Yes] 5120x1440, 60Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 5120x1440, 60Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[Yes] 5120x1440, 60Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 3820x1080, 240Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 3820x1080, 240Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 3820x1080, 120Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 3820x1080, 120Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 3820x1080, 60Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 3820x1080, 60Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR

Basically, whenever HDR is enabled at 5120x1440, it flickers regardless of the other settings. So now comes the question, how do I know it is the monitor at fault and that the flicker hasn't occurred when the GPU is rendering? Simple, in the monitor OSD, if I go to "Game->Screen Size" and take it off Auto and select 27" Wide (16:9), the flickering stops. As far as the GPU is concerned, it is still sending the same 5120x1440p HDR content, it's just the monitor is rendering it at a different resolution. If in "Game->Screen Size" I select Auto or Wide the flickering returns.

It looks like 1008.1 is the latest available firmware anywhere for the G9, so failing anything else I can try, I think I'm going to have to send it back after all.

So, on to attempt 6, I guess. This is the first time I have ever bought a monitor in the last 20 years where I've needed to make more than one attempt!

Associate
My Samsung G7 27" arrived and I have a problem.
GPU: GTX1070
Cable: CLUB 3D HBR3 DP1.4 VESA certified cable. Laptop has MiniDP needs to be converted to DP.
Monitor firmware: 1008.0
Gsync: Globally OFF in NV CP and in Monitor Settings (Adaptive Sync OFF)
NVIDIA Driver: 451.77

When using HDMI, no problems, max refresh rate is 144Hz and RGB color depth is 8bit. No flickering while gaming or while idle at desktop.

When using the DP cable, at 144Hz (8bit and 10bit) it keeps on flickering in the game Battlefield 1, it turns black for 1 second then back on. After I quit the game, the desktop starts to flicker too.

What is causing this? the $40 VESA certified cable? or the firmware? Nvidia Driver? or any of my settings?

UPDATE: I updated nvidia to latest 460 driver and i can now play flicker-free at 144Hz 8bit on displayport. I will do more testing (8bit vs 10bit depth, Gsyn On vs Off), hopefully this settles it.

Also, anyone knows if this monitor supports 165Hz? On DisplayPort, Monitor settings offer me: 60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, and 240Hz. Nvidia CP offers me 60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz (GPU limitation, no DCS). But why is there no 165Hz option in any of the two settings?

Last edited:
Soldato

They've brought out a specific vesa bracket for the hx and ultra wide monitors such as this.

Nvm just seen I was beaten to it further down the page.

Associate
Alright here is an update, I have played around and realised that the flickering has nothing to do with VRR or adaptive sync, it is a fault in the monitors rendering of certain HDR content at a 5120x1440 - tends to be dark scenes with bright objects, like the night sky with a full moon. So here is a list detailing a subset of what I have tested with the particular scene where I can reliably get flickering:

[Flickering occurs] Description (strike-through means not enabled)
[No ] 5120x1440, 240Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 5120x1440, 120Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR
[No ] 5120x1440, 60Hz, G-Sync enabled in driver, Adaptive Sync + VRR control enabled on OSD, HDR

Basically, whenever HDR is enabled at 5120x1440, it flickers regardless of the other settings. So now comes the question, how do I know it is the monitor at fault and that the flicker hasn't occurred when the GPU is rendering? Simple, in the monitor OSD, if I go to "Game->Screen Size" and take it off Auto and select 27" Wide (16:9), the flickering stops. As far as the GPU is concerned, it is still sending the same 5120x1440p HDR content, it's just the monitor is rendering it at a different resolution. If in "Game->Screen Size" I select Auto or Wide the flickering returns.

It looks like 1008.1 is the latest available firmware anywhere for the G9, so failing anything else I can try, I think I'm going to have to send it back after all.

So, on to attempt 6, I guess. This is the first time I have ever bought a monitor in the last 20 years where I've needed to make more than one attempt!

I also have flickering with the g9 latest firmware. It is always in the middle sightly to the left, a black bar appears and disappears

Back
Top Bottom