** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Please finish! Any input that may could help me decide would be much appreciated, I now have a 6800 XT on the way so would prefer to sell my G-Sync only monitor and benefit from Freesync.
Sorry - I was going to show a photo of my G9 with a 35' Ultrawide above it (LG 35WN75C) so you can see the difference in size between the two - not sure if that will be of any use or not? But here it is.
5H4go7a.jpg
5H4go7a

Associate
Other question I have about the g7 32" is how much of a deep desk does it require? From the photos and spec it looks deep and my desk is only 600mm..

I believe it's just over 12" (according to a comment here and the Rtings.com review) so would take up half your space! Having said that the feet are widely placed so it's not all unusable.

Sorry - I was going to show a photo of my G9 with a 35' Ultrawide above it (LG 35WN75C) so you can see the difference in size between the two - not sure if that will be of any use or not? But here it is.

Not all that useful truth be told but it highlights how massive the G9 is! Thanks anyway, still can't choose! Will take some time with the 6800 XT on my current monitor first, see if I can live without adaptive sync for a while.

S2k

S2k

Associate
Other question I have about the g7 32" is how much of a deep desk does it require? From the photos and spec it looks deep and my desk is only 600mm..

I just had a measure and at it’s widest point it is 12”, but if you measure from the back of the stand to the centre of the monitor it’s more like 9.5” (i.e. as it curves out it gets wider to 12”) My desk is pretty small (660x1300mm), but I create more space by turning the monitor 45 degrees placing it up into the desks back corner. (the monitors legs then sit nicely/closely to the desks back/side edges) Sat in my chair the monitor centre is around 700mm away instead of 450mm if it was not rotated.

Associate
Has anyone here sent their G9 off for a repair because of the scanline issue? I have one booked, just waiting for them to get back to me to collect it but I have a feeling it's going to be a complete waste of time. Just curious what they've said to others.

Also does the scanline issue happen with everyone? If they end up giving me a new one it'll be disappointing if it also has the scanline issues and potentially something else wrong that this one doesn't have.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Has anyone here sent their G9 off for a repair because of the scanline issue? I have one booked, just waiting for them to get back to me to collect it but I have a feeling it's going to be a complete waste of time. Just curious what they've said to others.

Also does the scanline issue happen with everyone? If they end up giving me a new one it'll be disappointing if it also has the scanline issues and potentially something else wrong that this one doesn't have.
Is there a way we can easily test if we have it? Mine arrived on Sat so is a new build so happy to see if its present.

Associate
In my opinion everyone has it and most just haven't noticed. Supposedly it's a hardware limitation or specifically a mainboard issue as it doesn't support the required IOPs at 240 Hz.

Yeah, I spoke to that guy who mentioned that on Reddit. That's my main worry about sending it for a repair. That they won't actually have the part to repair it yet, especially here in the UK.

Is there a way we can easily test if we have it? Mine arrived on Sat so is a new build so happy to see if its present.

Just set your monitor and PC to 240hz, change your background to something like a bright orange or blue (right click desktop > personalise and then set background to solid colour) and look closely in the left or right corners of the screen. For me, I can see scanlines faintly across the screen. It goes away near the middle, but once I notice them I can't unsee them. Even on this website I can see them since the theme is blue.

There are specific images that will make your entire screen go scanlined such as the ones below. The last two only happen when Chrome is maximised for me.

https://imgur.com/wkZjUpc

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SHh5ZmN0dmNlSTZ1Y2xkc1lqa0wtWjI3b0tmN1dR

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/02...-q=50&q=92&s=0d153a1f5b7af1a570f2128d92a0a508

Associate
@Dan_J Your description is spot on. At the sides it's pronounced, in the middle I can't see it at all. Why some people might not notice the scan line issue at all, it's only showing up with 100% Windows scaling (+ 240 Hz). 125% doesn't have it. You can also create a custom scaling for 101%, 102%..., haven't tested myself at what point it starts to stop showing up. In the browser you can also increase the scaling/zoom and it will stop on websites.

For me personally it's not a dealbreaker since I'm using PBP when on desktop (2x 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz) and only switch to 240 Hz when I'm gaming.

Associate
I believe it's just over 12" (according to a comment here and the Rtings.com review) so would take up half your space! Having said that the feet are widely placed so it's not all unusable.

Not all that useful truth be told but it highlights how massive the G9 is! Thanks anyway, still can't choose! Will take some time with the 6800 XT on my current monitor first, see if I can live without adaptive sync for a while.

It's freaking huge!

Associate
Anyone still getting flickering on latest firmware. Someone on another forum suggested getting a vesa certified display port cable. But based on how many people have this issue I don't know if it'll make a difference. I'm sure I'm using the one that came with the monitor anyway.

Associate
Said to me
Anyone still getting flickering on latest firmware. Someone on another forum suggested getting a vesa certified display port cable. But based on how many people have this issue I don't know if it'll make a difference. I'm sure I'm using the one that came with the monitor anyway.
No flickering on mine but not using the DP cable that, came with it.. I'm using my one from my old acer predator. Iirc a certified cable has DP on the plug?

Back
Top Bottom