** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
@Dan_J Your description is spot on. At the sides it's pronounced, in the middle I can't see it at all. Why some people might not notice the scan line issue at all, it's only showing up with 100% Windows scaling (+ 240 Hz). 125% doesn't have it. You can also create a custom scaling for 101%, 102%..., haven't tested myself at what point it starts to stop showing up. In the browser you can also increase the scaling/zoom and it will stop on websites.

For me personally it's not a dealbreaker since I'm using PBP when on desktop (2x 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz) and only switch to 240 Hz when I'm gaming.

Unfortunately the edge ones are always there for me regardless of Windows scaling. The issue where the entire screen goes scanlined isn't a deal breaker for me since it's only specific images/programs that do it. And even then changing your gamma by 0.01 in the Nvidia Control Panel or simply zooming the browser in 10% gets rid of them. Although what works for some websites, might not work for others so you have to constantly change things.

I think I'd be okay with running in 120hz if I could also run in 10bpc. I swear I used to be able to when I first got the monitor, so maybe a firmware/nvidia update changed that.

Either way Samsung are picking up the monitor tomorrow. I think I'll leave a note in there explaining the issue in more detail so the technician doesn't just reset the monitor to 120hz and say there's nothing wrong. I feel like it's going to be a complete waste of time, but it really has been bugging me lately. For a £1000+ monitor, it really shouldn't happen.

Associate
I think I'd be okay with running in 120hz if I could also run in 10bpc. I swear I used to be able to when I first got the monitor, so maybe a firmware/nvidia update changed that.
You can. Set the monitor to 240 Hz and then in Windows change to 120 Hz:
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/samsung-odyssey-g9-10-bit-120-hz-rgb-png.980895/

Without 240 Hz mode enabled on the monitor, DSC is disabled. As such the 25.92 Gbit/s DP 1.4 limit is in effect and YCbCr 4:4:4/RGB is not possible (28.55 Gbit/s). Without DSC only 120 Hz YCbCr 4:2:2 is possible:
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/samsung-odyssey-g9-10-bit-120-hz-png.980359/

Via PBP (2x DP input) you can also get 2x 2560x1440 10-bit 120 Hz YCbCr 4:4:4/RGB, even without DSC.

Associate
You can. Set the monitor to 240 Hz and then in Windows change to 120 Hz:
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/samsung-odyssey-g9-10-bit-120-hz-rgb-png.980895/

Without 240 Hz mode enabled on the monitor, DSC is disabled. As such the 25.92 Gbit/s DP 1.4 limit is in effect and YCbCr 4:4:4/RGB is not possible (28.55 Gbit/s). Without DSC only 120 Hz YCbCr 4:2:2 is possible:
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/samsung-odyssey-g9-10-bit-120-hz-png.980359/

Via PBP (2x DP input) you can also get 2x 2560x1440 10-bit 120 Hz YCbCr 4:4:4/RGB, even without DSC.

It's just that unless I set it to 120hz inside the monitor's OSD, I get those scanlines. I actually just checked and they're there even when the monitor is set to 120hz (inside OSD), just not as bad. I just wanted to negate them, but in the Nvidia control panel it looks like my only option is 120hz YCbCr422 if I want 10bpc, but that gives awful text fringing.

Soldato
I'm thinking about purchasing this monitor but can see there's two model versions, both being sold as the same thing.

LC27G73TQSUXEN
LC27G75TQSUXEN

What's the difference between them? I'm assuming the 75 is a newer version? Googling only brings up one person who says, "I asked Samsung, go for the LC27G75, The G73 was manufactured in FEB 2020 and the G75 in July."

Soldato
I Googled 'Samsung monitor model numbers explained' and there's a guide which if 100% true looks like the G75 is a slight variant, possibly later model. With me reading so many potential issues I'm tempted to pay the slight extra for the higher model number just in case.

Last edited:
Associate
Nah, that's completely wrong. Those are just regional model code numbers, they are identical. You'll mostly see Amazon selling both in certain regions because they are operating internationally. In any case the G75 variants were released first, so by that logic, G73 is the newer one (it's not). It's the same for the G9.

Soldato
ok, cool. I got in touch with Samsung who weren't very helpful but did say the 73 was the later model like you said.

They also said:

"They are both the same device but differs in production batch. And also, the LC27G75TQSUXEN has the capability to get a firmware update."

I asked if the 73 couldn't be updated and they confirmed it can't which doesn't seem right! :D

They're basically saying the 73 is cheaper because you can't upgrade the firmware. :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Hi - I seem to remeber the one I had in July did this too but is it normal to get little popping noises from the G9 when its first turned on (my LG's don't do this) - I assume its just the monitor warming up and nothing to worry about.

Associate
ok, cool. I got in touch with Samsung who weren't very helpful but did say the 73 was the later model like you said.

They also said:

"They are both the same device but differs in production batch. And also, the LC27G75TQSUXEN has the capability to get a firmware update."

I asked if the 73 couldn't be updated and they confirmed it can't which doesn't seem right! :D

They're basically saying the 73 is cheaper because you can't upgrade the firmware. :confused: :rolleyes:

Don't take this as purchasing advice, but that just sounds wrong to me.

I've had the G93 and the G95 and they seem exacty the same. Even the firmware is the same. It's possible that its different with the 27, but it seems more likely that the support person wasn't technical.

Soldato
Don't take this as purchasing advice, but that just sounds wrong to me.

I've had the G93 and the G95 and they seem exacty the same. Even the firmware is the same. It's possible that its different with the 27, but it seems more likely that the support person wasn't technical.

Yeah, I thought exactly the same. I would be very surprised if I can't update the 73 version that's winging its way to me now. :D

Associate
Got my 32" G7 today - ordered direct from Samsung. It had been re-sealed with Samsung tape which was worrying. The contents look okay for now - although the wrapping for the stand and other bits has masking tape to keep it all together? Not sure whether that's normal.
Will be plugging in later this evening and giving it an indepth look. Manufactured November 2020.

Anyone recommend any tools or anything to spot issues or flaws with the monitor that may not be apparent straight away?

Associate
Got my 32" G7 today - ordered direct from Samsung. It had been re-sealed with Samsung tape which was worrying. The contents look okay for now - although the wrapping for the stand and other bits has masking tape to keep it all together? Not sure whether that's normal.
Will be plugging in later this evening and giving it an indepth look. Manufactured November 2020.

Anyone recommend any tools or anything to spot issues or flaws with the monitor that may not be apparent straight away?

My advice is also to use it in some normal scenarios and see how impressed (or not) you are, then look for flaws.
Balance those pros and cons against what else is available for the money.

All I'm saying, is don't obsess too much over 'flaws' IMHO. Use it and see if you like it first. Also, using it properly will expose any quirks.

Associate
Cheers John

My advice is also to use it in some normal scenarios and see how impressed (or not) you are, then look for flaws.
Balance those pros and cons against what else is available for the money.

All I'm saying, is don't obsess too much over 'flaws' IMHO. Use it and see if you like it first. Also, using it properly will expose any quirks.

Thanks! - I'm coming from a FHD 27" 75Hz monitor so I'm expecting some changes!

I get what you mean though, after reading tons and tons of info online, it's quite easy to think about all the problems that you could have and actually forget to enjoy the product ! I guess it's just the whole re-sealed packaging which bothered me.

Associate
Cheers John

Thanks! - I'm coming from a FHD 27" 75Hz monitor so I'm expecting some changes!

I get what you mean though, after reading tons and tons of info online, it's quite easy to think about all the problems that you could have and actually forget to enjoy the product ! I guess it's just the whole re-sealed packaging which bothered me.

Yes exactly. It's so easy to assume the worst, but equally, even if you do find a flaw or defect you have to question whether 1. It's inherent to the tech, and 2. Does it really affect your enjoyment of the product?

Only you can decide what you find acceptable, but it's easy to spend more time looking for problems (or what it doesn't do) than actually enjoying what it does do.

Anyway, hope it's a great unit and that you are very happy with it. Good luck!

Associate
Panther came to collect my G9 for repair on Friday but they didn't bring a big enough box lol. Kind of wish I kept the original packaging, now I'm left waiting for them to get back to me to rearrange another collection.

Back
Top Bottom