** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Panther came to collect my G9 for repair on Friday but they didn't bring a big enough box lol. Kind of wish I kept the original packaging, now I'm left waiting for them to get back to me to rearrange another collection.

Good luck mate. I just read your last few posts, I've got to say, I think you're wasting your time but I hope it works out. Maybe yours is worse than the others for some reason.

Associate
Thanks, I've been playing around with it and man it is BIG... and also very curved. Like way more curved than I expected it to be, which kinda feels a bit weird coming from a flat monitor but not bad at the same time. Very smooth ofc, no dead pixels, screen uniformity also appears to be pretty good. So far, I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it. Mainly due to the size and curve. The stand takes up a ton of space

Associate
Thanks, I've been playing around with it and man it is BIG... and also very curved. Like way more curved than I expected it to be, which kinda feels a bit weird coming from a flat monitor but not bad at the same time. Very smooth ofc, no dead pixels, screen uniformity also appears to be pretty good. So far, I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it. Mainly due to the size and curve. The stand takes up a ton of space
You get used to curve and once you do you will love it. I use mine for work (professional tv editor) and the monitor is great for this kind of work.

Associate
Yea the masking tape is normal and I heard they were checking them before sending out hence the re-seal.

That explains it, I was a little concerned by that too (got mine elsewhere).

I went for the Odyssey G7 32" over an Ultrawide as I've decided to keep my old monitor for extra desktop real estate. I was quite perturbed by just how curved it was when I took it out of the box (my wife looked disgusted by it hahaha) but as soon as I started using it I found I wasn't bothered in the slightest.

It's excellent, the colours aren't quite as rich as my IPS but still very good and lovely in game. It's so smooth to use in games, and bright ones like Strange Brigade look fantastic in HDR (not going to bother with darker ones as bloom will be an issue).

I've noticed easily repeatable backlight flickering in one case, during the RDR2 benchmark in 2 scenes where the day/night cycle is sped up. As long as it's not common I won't mind. The other issue I had was horrible stutter at first with low GPU utilisation but weirdly that seemed to have been caused by the fact I had a Bluetooth adapter and Logitech wireless headset dongle plugged into the monitor's USB hub. Now those have been moved elsewhere it's all gravy.

Soldato
Which is the latest/best G9? I see there's a 120hz and a 240hz. Is the 120hz an older model?

Looks like LC49G95TSSUXEN is higher spec than the LC49RG90SSUXEN but once again the Samsung website is confusing and they list about 4 monitors that all look pretty similar, although one ultrawide has a lower resolution.

Associate
I am deciding between the Odyssey G9 and the CRG9 at the moment. I can get the G9 for a decent price (around 1k) but can also get the CRG9 at a big discount (under 800), both new. Is there actually much difference between the two models apart from the increased refresh rate? I have never used a high refresh rate monitor, is the extra 120hz perceivable? I wouldn't expect games to run up to 240hz anyways at those resolutions so I guess the 240hz experience is going to be limited to the desktop?

Also I see the curve is increased on the G9 over the CRG9, is the deeper curve objectively better or is it just preference? for productivity work is there much difference? This is going to be my main work monitor for WFH so would prefer something which works well with multiple windows. The CRG9 is over 200 cheaper than the G9 and I couldn't see a big difference in specs apart from the 240hz, are there any other differences I should be aware of?

Associate
Anyone notice a faint variation in colour/brightness (lighter/bluer) at the L+R edges of their G7?
I'm currently considering sending my second 27" G7 back for another replacement for the same issue. The problem feels very minor and almost unnoticeable in most uses but I can't help but see it in the software I use the most (grey background).
I guess I'm trying to establish if this is to be expected or if I'm right to want better for the money we're paying for these.

Did my best to scan whats come before and couldnt find a mention of this issue. Apologies if I missed one.

Associate
Arranged a repair for my g9 due to flickering, slightly to the left of the middle. Anyone know how long it takes and if you send it in the original box, will you get the box back?

Associate
Hey All - Thinking of getting this monitor - would you all recommend it? In seeing some posts about issues (scanlines and popping) but hard to tell how annoying it will be without experiencing it.

Also my desk to only 60cm deep. Is that likely to be an issue, as I've heard the stand is quite deep and also the curve quite aggressive

Associate
Arranged a repair for my g9 due to flickering, slightly to the left of the middle. Anyone know how long it takes and if you send it in the original box, will you get the box back?

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/repairtech.co.uk

This company has been assigned for my repair by Samsung. Based on the reviews I don't feel very confident giving it to them.. anyone else had a g9 repair from this company?

Associate
Hey All - Thinking of getting this monitor - would you all recommend it? In seeing some posts about issues (scanlines and popping) but hard to tell how annoying it will be without experiencing it.

Also my desk to only 60cm deep. Is that likely to be an issue, as I've heard the stand is quite deep and also the curve quite aggressive

I have a 86cm desk and think that's a minimum. Popping is annoying but not a massive issue.

Associate

Got mine a little over a week ago and I love it. No quality issues at all except it makes popping noises when first switched on for about an hour but it’s not that intrusive at all. I had one back in July but returned it due to the bezel issue but this new one is fantastic- no dead pixels and I haven’t experienced any flickering or noticeable scan lines. I use mine for work and I am really happy with it.

Associate
I can get the G9 for a decent price (around 1k) but can also get the CRG9 at a big discount (under 800), both new. Is there actually much difference between the two models apart from the increased refresh rate? I have never used a high refresh rate monitor, is the extra 120hz perceivable?
The CRG9 has a terrible VA panel with lots of Black Smearing. Completely fixed with the G9. Even at 120 Hz it's a vastly different experience.
Although for some casual people, just like with the scan line issue of the G9, some people don't notice it.

response_5.png

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_c49rg90.htm#response_times

Refresh rate compliance of 50% is simply terrible, the data doesn't lie (you want 90%+). Because of the slow dark transitions, the CRG9 is not suitable for 120 Hz.

In comparison, the G9 (also at 120 Hz):
VNC0cPV.png
https://youtu.be/FjEvsGa7yUQ?t=492
In exchange the G9 does have some overshoot in the dark transitions but on a completely fine level below 220 Hz. As such with an FPS Limit of 216 (quite frankly, still hard to reach at full resolution for most games) it's a very good gaming experience.

Associate
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/repairtech.co.uk

This company has been assigned for my repair by Samsung. Based on the reviews I don't feel very confident giving it to them.. anyone else had a g9 repair from this company?

Yeah, I saw this too when I googled them but honestly, most people just don't write reviews unless it's a negative experience. Like if I got my monitor back perfect, my first reaction wouldn't be to give the company a 5 star rating on Trustpilot.

-

I probably am wasting my time though. I got a message from someone on Reddit with the same issues as me and they said RepairTech couldn't find an issue lol. I feel like they're testing it with a HDMI cable at 60hz so they don't get scanlines. I wrote a note and stuck it on the back of the monitor explaining the issue in more detail so hopefully they'll actually hook it up to a device that runs @ 240hz.

Also after them not bringing a big enough box the first time, they brought one of those big cases you'd put musical equipment in for a band to travel with and it still wasn't deep enough lol. Kind of frustrating tbh, surely they have the dimensions of the screen and they'd pick something big enough for it. I had to give them my old box and they just used the packing they had. I really hope it's going to be safe but I guess if it breaks I'm not responsible.

Soldato
Also after them not bringing a big enough box the first time, they brought one of those big cases you'd put musical equipment in for a band to travel with and it still wasn't deep enough lol. Kind of frustrating tbh, surely they have the dimensions of the screen and they'd pick something big enough for it. I had to give them my old box and they just used the packing they had. I really hope it's going to be safe but I guess if it breaks I'm not responsible.

I fear this not ending well but wish you all the best :eek:

Associate
Hoping to get some G9 advice - I'll post here rather than starting a new thread!

I have just built a new 5800X system using a Sapphire RX 6800 NITRO+. My main use is MS Flight Sim 2020. I love the look of the G9. I plan to stick with my current GPU until the next gen and then hopefully get whatever the next 3080/6900 tier GPU is (hoping availability will be back to normal when Lovelace/RDNA3 is launched).

I appreciate that my 6800 will struggle to push this many pixels at ultra in FS2020, so I very much see this as a monitor that I would grow into. I have had a 3440x1440 ultrawide for the last 5 years and love the format, so this would be my next step up. In the meantime, I was thinking that I could continue to run the Flight Sim in 3440x1440 at ultra (or expand to the full screen by lowering some settings). Would there be any issue with running a lower res, aside from the black bars to the left and right?

Flight sims are not FPS games and getting 45 FPS on average is considered excellent. Would the higher refresh rate offer any additional advantages in this use case? I currently have a basic version of Freesync on my 5yr old LG ultrawide and I don't really notice any difference with it on. It's max refresh rate is 75Hz.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only issue with running at a lower res is seeing the unused screen space either side and wanting to fill it. :D

I have a laptop with a 2070 Max-Q (slower than a normal 2070) and it struggles to push MSFS2020 at native res on medium/high settings. I probably get about 30fps although I've not tried going to a city like London so probably more like 15fps there. :D

I can't bring myself to not use the whole screen (maybe because it's a new toy) but I don't see why it would be an issue at all other than the black bars either side like you say.

Soldato
Anyone notice a faint variation in colour/brightness (lighter/bluer) at the L+R edges of their G7?
I'm currently considering sending my second 27" G7 back for another replacement for the same issue. The problem feels very minor and almost unnoticeable in most uses but I can't help but see it in the software I use the most (grey background).
I guess I'm trying to establish if this is to be expected or if I'm right to want better for the money we're paying for these.

Did my best to scan whats come before and couldnt find a mention of this issue. Apologies if I missed one.

I noticed the same on the G7 I had, it's feint but just noticeable enough for those of us that are a bit more picky (me) or for those like you that work with certain apps that maybe highlight the issue. I sent my G7 back, I would have kept it even with that very slight blueish glow on dark plain backgrounds, but its size was as also slightly too small for my desk. I ended up with the G9 and it doesn't have that blue-ish tint but obviously is a different beast. G7 and G9 both amazing monitors but definitely not perfect, yet. Would buy again though.

Back
Top Bottom