*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Pretty sure I will get the new 3D World game, but with it being coop I'd like to get another controller. Is the Switch Pro controller the one to go for? Or is there a decent cheaper alternative?
I talked about it a few pages back, but I took a punt on a cheap Pro-style controller from Amazon for £17 before Xmas and have been impressed with it. I wanted a 'proper' controller for the Switch I was buying our son - figured he might end up preferring the JoyCons (he does) but that I would prefer the 'real' controller (I do)

I've not used, or even seen in the flesh, a legit Pro controller, but I come from using Xbox One (and 360) official controllers and this one was, whilst not quite on the Official Xbox level in terms of quality, very good nonetheless.

Anyway, it was this one, was on offer when I bought it but still cheap enough:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diswoe-Wir...&keywords=diswoe+switch&qid=1613568438&sr=8-1

Associate
Having not played mario since a kid on n64 its absolutely epic coming back to them as an adult and playing with my daughter.......and on my own when she goes to bed.
They really are so well made and just pure fun, feel good gaming.
3d world is great, not quite as good as odyssey but great in its own way.

Decided to go with Mario 3D world. Enjoying it so far but I still can not get the hang of targeting jumps to get coins/break walls/stomp enemies. Any tips on this?

As far as I have figured out, the medium sized and smallest sized characters have to use ground pound by pressing A (or B) followed by the left shoulder button ZL to kill enemies. Make sure that your shadow is over the enemy in order for the ground pound to get a direct hit. To break up blocks that look like brickwork, or blocks that are embedded in walls behind you, I don't think it is possible to break them with your small or medium character. You have to get one of the upgrades e.g. cat or squirrel and then you can use your tail to attack them.

Edit: If you are on World 5, there is a level with Bob-ombs and you can make them follow you. Lead them towards the walls that have breakable parts and they'll blow it up for you.

About cat/squirrel upgrades, this is something I haven't figured out yet, but sometimes, if you press LEFT on the d-pad, a bell appears and then you can turn into the cat/squirrel. Sometimes LEFT doesn't work, so I think you only have a limited stock. Maybe once per session. If someone knows how that works, then that would be really helpful :)

Associate
As far as I have figured out, the medium sized and smallest sized characters have to use ground pound by pressing A (or B) followed by the left shoulder button ZL to kill enemies. Make sure that your shadow is over the enemy in order for the ground pound to get a direct hit. To break up blocks that look like brickwork, or blocks that are embedded in walls behind you, I don't think it is possible to break them with your small or medium character. You have to get one of the upgrades e.g. cat or squirrel and then you can use your tail to attack them.

Edit: If you are on World 5, there is a level with Bob-ombs and you can make them follow you. Lead them towards the walls that have breakable parts and they'll blow it up for you.

About cat/squirrel upgrades, this is something I haven't figured out yet, but sometimes, if you press LEFT on the d-pad, a bell appears and then you can turn into the cat/squirrel. Sometimes LEFT doesn't work, so I think you only have a limited stock. Maybe once per session. If someone knows how that works, then that would be really helpful :)

Thanks for the tips. Im slowly getting accustomed to jumping and stomping enemies. Im still world 2 trying to find all the green stars and joysticks even though l dont know what the joysticks are for lol

Soldato
New Metroid would be nice. I know they've had a bit of a development hell with it, but I just played through Super Metroid recently and am jonesing for some more.

Although I've never played another Metroid game, so it's possible I won't like the more modern ones anyway :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Lol, what a junk direct. They literally showed us Splatoon 3 to try and make it have something big and thats coming at some point next year so potentially 22 months away. No idea why they bothered with a full direct for that. Should have just stuck to small mini directs.

Soldato
Wasn't entirely to my taste either. Pretty varied and dense though I'll give them that.

Would have liked to have seen something of MP4 or something more about Animal Crossing that we hadn't already been told would be coming.

They MUST be planning a separate Pokémon Direct as there was nothing about Pokémon Snap and that is only a few months away, let alone anything else.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Would have liked to have seen something of MP4 or something more about Animal Crossing that we hadn't already been told would be coming.

MP4 won't be out for years still by all accounts, Bayonetta 3 doesn't seem likely for this year and BOTW2 has me worried for this year as well. Giving us more information "later this year" doesn't bode well for a 2021 launch.

Nintendo is making bank on the Switch and they don't seem to need to do much to keep the gravy train rolling so I guess none of this is surprising. Chucking out remasters and lazy ports seems to keep a lot of people happy and its a cheap and easy way for them to print money. Not sure why I expect anything different from Nintendo at this point.

Thanks for the tips. Im slowly getting accustomed to jumping and stomping enemies. Im still world 2 trying to find all the green stars and joysticks even though l dont know what the joysticks are for lol

I have taken a snapshot of the controls for you and anyone else interested. It's the controls for the pair of joy-cons, but it's like-for-like with the pro controller too which I'm using. The right joystick moves the camera around which I find highly useful! You already know what the left joystick does because you move your character using that. What I said earlier about LEFT was incorrect - that's the amiibo button. The button that gives you a stock item is UP.

5oz1mXm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom