*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
What a terrible presentation.

The BIG reveal was Splatoon 3??
Wtffff

That only sells reasonably well because they don't have many decent 1st party games

Man of Honour
What a terrible presentation.

The BIG reveal was Splatoon 3??
Wtffff

That only sells reasonably well because they don't have many decent 1st party games

Splatoon 2 is one of the best shooters this generation, and has by far the best controls to the extent that I think it’s the only console shooter without auto aim.

It’s great that another one is on the way and I look forward to sinking hundreds of hours into it, but it’s very weird that Nintendo announced it over a year in advance. They must really be behind in their development.

Soldato
Splatoon 2 is one of the best shooters this generation, and has by far the best controls to the extent that I think it’s the only console shooter without auto aim.

It’s great that another one is on the way and I look forward to sinking hundreds of hours into it, but it’s very weird that Nintendo announced it over a year in advance. They must really be behind in their development.
I keep thinking about picking it up however I doubt there is much point now with 3 on its way next year

Associate
Well I never played Skyward Sword so this is good news!
I am confused by Nintendo though. They are sitting on such a goldmine of potential releases. To name just 3.
F-zero Switch
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings

Caporegime
Well I never played Skyward Sword so this is good news!
I am confused by Nintendo though. They are sitting on such a goldmine of potential releases. To name just 3.
F-zero Switch
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings

It doesn't make sense. Probably because fan boys lap up all the remakes, so it's easy cash with minimal effort I suppose. :/

Fortnite doesn’t support split screen.

Just on the switch? It works on the PS4. Probably not powerful enough I suppose.

Soldato
Sword and Shield are OK, you can see potential in the wild zones and some real love in some areas, but very underwhelming in terms of size and also the later gyms scream they kinda ran out of time. Realistically the expansions really should have been in the base game, and I kinda see the new release with the expansions built in, as what the games should have been from the off. If they had been, there may have been less complaints.
The wild zones and the fact there are wild zones in the expansion areas give me hope they will go further and further in that direction with the series, towards the more open world that Pokemon screams out for; but I think that will be a way off yet.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sword and Shield are OK, you can see potential in the wild zones and some real love in some areas, but very underwhelming in terms of size and also the later gyms scream they kinda ran out of time.

When you consider the budget they have, the copies they are guaranteed to sell and what titles like breath of the wild achieved on the Switch, is there any excuse for it being just OK. Reusing models and animations from the 3DS (I believe) and cutting down the roster of pokemon and then putting out that lacklustre a game. There is no other reason other than greed and disrespect for the fans. Nintendo very much runs with "they will buy it anyway" when it comes to making a lot of their games.

Man of Honour
When you consider the budget they have, the copies they are guaranteed to sell and what titles like breath of the wild achieved on the Switch, is there any excuse for it being just OK. Reusing models and animations from the 3DS (I believe) and cutting down the roster of pokemon and then putting out that lacklustre a game. There is no other reason other than greed and disrespect for the fans. Nintendo very much runs with "they will buy it anyway" when it comes to making a lot of their games.

Why put the effort and expense into development when people will just lap up an average game in the same quantities as a great game?

It’s the consumers fault for buying sub par games.

Soldato

I don't disagree, as a long term player since Gen1 (albeit with some breaks), I don't think the series has developed anywhere near as much as it could or should have done. The underlying charm and love is still there; and you can tell some of the devs really love the games, but the Pokemon Company/Gamefreak really don't give them enough time or enough staff to do the property justice. I blame Pokemon Company/Gamefreak far more than Nintendo though, as ultimately Nintendo are the publisher and shareholder, but they're not the ones in charge of development, and would undoubtedly give them more time per game if they asked for it (given the revenue they generate), but Gamefreak/Pokemon Company themselves seem reluctant to put more dedicated staffers on the development team, and give them the longer development cycle that would really benefit these games.
I have seen reports that part of this issue is that some of the senior management at Gamefreak prefer working with smaller teams as they are easier to manage and control; unfortunately this means that in tandem with the limited development time the games simply don't have the man hours invested they really should given the size of the franchise. As the series sells so well, part of me cannot blame them for thinking they can get away with it.

I really do feel core Pokemon title development moving internally to Nintendo, and a larger development team, would really benefit Pokemon as a whole, especially now expectations have grown. Not only do Nintendo seem to run larger dev teams, but additionally they often take much longer to develop sequels, until they feel it is ready to go, and also own or have close ties with multiple smaller studios who they can draft in to assist with titles when it makes sense (for example the Monolithsoft, Next Level Games and Grezzo guys). Breath of the Wild 2 is a great example; same engine, but they are taking time over it to ensure they do a good job.
A Pokemon title that got the same love and development cycle could be truly excellent, even if they didn't change the underlying core of the series.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Why put the effort and expense into development when people will just lap up an average game in the same quantities as a great game?

It’s the consumers fault for buying sub par games.

I agree entirely. I don't agree with their attitude of "what is the least we can get away with giving our fans/customers" but there is a reason they do it. Thats why I refuse to buy games that I think are lazy cash ins. It remains to be seen how much they charge for skyward sword but whats the betting its not £20?

I'm really tempted just to use dolphin to play all the games Nintendo won't bring to the Switch or ones they charge too much for.

Man of Honour
I agree entirely. I don't agree with their attitude of "what is the least we can get away with giving our fans/customers" but there is a reason they do it. Thats why I refuse to buy games that I think are lazy cash ins. It remains to be seen how much they charge for skyward sword but whats the betting its not £20?

I'm really tempted just to use dolphin to play all the games Nintendo won't bring to the Switch or ones they charge too much for.

People already buy many WiiU games for full price (Mario Kart, Pikmin, Mario U, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, etc.), so maybe they are testing if people are daft enough to do the same for Wii games.

Back
Top Bottom