What TV shows are you currently watching

Associate
I really enjoyed Travelers!

We are almost finished watching The One on Netflix (I had skipped it originally as I thought it was a reality X-factor type show, whoops).

A slow-burn with a mixture of thriller/mystery/black mirror themes. I'm enjoying it.

I'm also half way through "The One", like you i dismissed it at first thinking it was an xfactor esque type show but it certainly does have some black mirror vibes! I'd recommend if you like black mirror.

Soldato
Someone mentioned on here about watching Unforgotten, we watched the first three seasons as they were on TV and we are watching them again, Nicola Walker being great in her lead role. Season 4 is on TV now iirc.

Just waiting for series 4 to get a few more episodes aired before bringing. Really enjoyed the first three.

Just started rewatching Extras (Ricky Gervais) loving it so far!

Soldato
From S1 Ep1 of the Walking Dead?!

Holy poop we are up to S10!!!!

Standby for some excellent zombie action, only for it to turn into Farming and Feelings weekly in later seasons :(

Don't forget Black Summer, WD: World Beyond and Fear the Walking Dead too.
Walking dead has been great entertainment up to series 7ish, then as you say it's devolved into something of a formulistic approach that they've done to death. To be fair I continue to watch it, but it's more to do with watching it from the start than eagerly awaiting the next episode. That said they still conjure up an odd twist here and there.

I gave Black Summer a go. I thought it might develop into something interesting but for me it just dived over a cliff with way to many wtf! why? moments.
The last episode is a shocker. Huge groups of people appear from thin air, all arriving the stadium en-masse for all but random battle. Then! Just their group are magically greeted by Rose's daughter. Utter tosh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Walking dead has been great entertainment up to series 7ish, then as you say it's devolved into something flowing formulistic approach that they've done to death. To be fair I continue to watch it, but it's more to do with watching it from the start than eagerly awaiting the next episode. That said they still conjure up an odd twist here and there.

I gave Black Summer a go. I thought it might develop into something interesting but for me it just dived over a cliff with way to many wtf! why? moments.
The last episode is a shocker. Huge groups of people appear from thin air, all arriving the stadium en-masse for all but random battle. Then! Just their group are magically greeted by Rose's daughter. Utter tosh.

I'm the same, sticking with it only because i have followed it from the start. As for Black Summer, i really enjoyed it, yes it had its flaws, but it was gruesome at times and the Z's were a real threat.

Black Summer season 2 confirmed apparently too :)

Soldato
Power Book II: Ghost

Enjoyed every single episode of Power,So had to watch this follow on too.
Only thing that is a let down is they went off Netflix and onto StarzPlay instead, So you have to subscribe to Starzplay to watch it, Personally i don't think the image quality is as good as Netflix, Doesn't quite seem 4K :(

Soldato
The Terror. I'm late to the party on this and it's one of the best shows i've seen in recent times. Top writing, acting - Jared Harris and the rest of the cast are excellent - and on iplayer. Well worth a watch.

Caporegime
Also been working through For All Mankind. It's very slickly produced and looks great, but it feels like it's missing something. The drama feels manufactured a little, I'm up to Episode 6 now so only two more of S1 to go and I see S2 has just started a few weeks ago and, I believe, Season 3 has been confirmed already SVS is acting her socks off here, and I know things were rather different in the 60's and 70's but the characters seem a little bit 'cookie cutter'. I'll finish the series up, I'm half expecting
something to go wrong on the moon for either the Soviets or the US base and they'll need each others help in some way. I also expected a tragedy of some sort and the pad explosion was just it. Wasn't sure about the Mexican girl, couldn't work out what part she was playing, no doubt she'll be some child prodigy who helps NASA later with some very complex problem.

Soldato
Continuing to plough through The Last Kingdom, almost at the end of Season 3. It paints a slightly different picture of the Vikings and their customs than "Vikings" and of course is almost entirely based in England. The music score is superb, not normally into New Age/Folk type stuff but it sends a shiver up the spine.

Talking of shivers up the spine S3 E7 is definitely not for the squeamish.
It's the one where AEthelwold has one of his eye's burned out with a red hot poker, as punishment for treason. I genuinely could not watch that scene - I mean I know it's only special effects but even afterwards the make up effects were totally gruesome.

Soldato
I was a few episodes into Boss on Amazon Prime but they seem to have removed it (again, because it disappeared for a couple of days earlier this month). Shame as I was really enjoying it.

I'm a few episodes into Hanna, also on Amazon. Not sure so far, it doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly differently or better than the film did, but the production values are high so I'll stick with it.

Also started re-watching 24 from the start the other night now it's all on Disney+. It's looking a little old now (and the cast look so young!) which I'm having trouble processing properly because in my head it doesn't "feel" like a 20 year old TV show, but it's still great.

Travellers is surprisingly satisfying. Only done 5 episodes but it doesn't have any annoying characters and is fairly gripping. It's not on the edge cliff hanging, or overly action exciting, but just delivers twisty stories with in depth characters which makes each episode feel like time well spent. I loath time wasting screen time.

Travelers was great, I think being Canadian rather than American gave it a bit of a different feel to what it otherwise would have been. It also had one of the best "Groundhog Day" style time-loop episodes of any TV series, really creative.

Soldato
half way through re-watching The Queen's Gambit - it's even better the second time. Anya Taylor-Joy's performance was incredible, all the subtle nuances in her face and body language was a masterclass and was the only commentary needed for the chess games. She said that most days she was playing multiple ages and her whole persona and body language changed depending on which wig she was wearing - and of course it helps that she's breathtakingly beautiful. :)

Back
Top Bottom