Netflix: Drive to Survive

Caporegime
5 episodes in. I'm enjoying it. I think you need to set your expectations right for Drive to Survive: it isn't really a documentary, it isn't trying to properly inform you about F1, it's a drama-documentary which has some insight and needs to be taken with a healthy pinch. Sit back and enjoy how they calmly blend radio from completely different race weekend with a shot from practice whilst talking about the race, intercut with an interview shot eight weeks earlier.

Soldato
The lack of coverage of Russell covering for Hamilton was a bit of a surprise.

It was ok, about what I expected. The Grosjean crash is still hard to watch though, I was convinced at the time that I'd watched a man die live on TV.

Associate
I've watched the first few episodes and they definitely do love a good drama! But that's exactly what it's for so it's entertaining to watch what is otherwise filtered on the main f1 broadcasts usually :D

Soldato
Might have sat down to watch the first one ... then accidentally binge watched the first 6. :D

Up to the usual standard.

The Ferrari one with Vettel messing with them after getting dumped, and the squirming over how they suddenly lack of power is satisfying to watch. Cheating ********.

Soldato
5 episodes in. I'm enjoying it. I think you need to set your expectations right for Drive to Survive: it isn't really a documentary, it isn't trying to properly inform you about F1, it's a drama-documentary which has some insight and needs to be taken with a healthy pinch. Sit back and enjoy how they calmly blend radio from completely different race weekend with a shot from practice whilst talking about the race, intercut with an interview shot eight weeks earlier.
While dubbing the sound of a high revving v8/v10 over the top of the tracking shots to cover the uninspiring Dyson sounds we have now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Not going to lie, Drive to Survive is more exciting than 90% of the racing weekends. At least there is drama and intrigue rather than just a procession.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Doesn't seem as exciting and tense as the first (two?) seasons, but a solid watch. Definitely some LOL moments, as well as the poignant ones.
I'm surprised some big incidents weren't mentioned (Mugello pile-up), but I guess that'll be down to Covid.

Good to hear Hamilton say his bit at the very end as well. Bring on 2021!

Soldato
They don't attend every race (even in non-COVID years) do they? I think that's why they seem to miss out on what some people would consider interesting moments during the seasons. They also tend be pre-arranged to be with a particular team or two on a given weekend.

Man of Honour
Season 3 hasn't hooked me yet, but I'm sure I'll push through it this week. It's well edited, makes F1 appealing and exciting to new fans (they'll be in for a shock if they tune into some race weekends) and at least shows some good behind the scenes footage,

Caporegime
Finished watching it. Doesn't really have the punch of prior series but still enjoyable and interesting none-the-less. Some odd stuff left out, including:

Won't watch it cause they refused to show russell's time at mercedes.

Not sure refused is the right word, they didn't do anything much about Williams, with neither Russell not Latifi getting air time. No contact with them after they sold up at all, not any mention that it happened.

I suspect their deal with Williams fell through for some reason after the sale.

Soldato
I wondered if it was a Covid thing as I can imagine Merc were being extra cautious after Hamilton tested positive so maybe didn't want the Netflix crew around at the time. Though this doesn't explain why Williams didn't feature with the exception of a few mentions of them when the were part of another story.

Not a bad season overall though I did prefer the style of following a team for a weekend rather than this series where it jumped around all over. Still it gives an a more candid insight to the world of F1 and includes things we would never normally see with the race weekend coverage.

Back
Top Bottom