Netflix: Drive to Survive

Soldato
I'm just wrapping up a meeting then I'll be spending the rest of my day binge watching it. The joys of working from home :)

I'm really interested to see what Ricciardo has to say about his move, and Steiner of course

Ohhh I didn't realize William Storey was in this too. Should get interesting later in the season :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I stopped after episode 2 to do some work. But I'm going back in, I'm super hyped for this season now! 2 week countdown begins..

Soldato
Episode 1 done. Guenther Steiner is tv gold.

Steiner is TV gold, he carries this series.

Absolutely this, he is brilliant to watch. What I do like about this series is the fact we can see that outside of the track, guys like Steiner and Horner for example are just normal family men, which is nice to see, because I think people forget simple things like this when they are busy slagging them off after a race weekend.

Permabanned
The Williams sage is really interesting, Paddy Lowe carried the can but it is clear from the episode that Claire Williams had almost no grasp of what was going on around her.

Soldato
OP
The Williams sage is really interesting, Paddy Lowe carried the can but it is clear from the episode that Claire Williams had almost no grasp of what was going on around her.

You can see why Williams are doing so badly, she's in the job because she's the daughter and not because she's the best team principal for the job. The Paddy Lowe scenes are awkward, clearly he has zero communication skills and needs someone to take charge/ownership because Claire Williams doesn't have a clue what's going on. He had to go.

Caporegime
Just finished watching last night. I enjoyed it although I thought it was less insightful than the first season. Perhaps that was the increased number of teams involved, or just that people were more cautious. I dunno. The part about the F2 crash was handled excellently I thought.

What I found really interesting was how you could see how the contrasting cultures of the teams led to their relative success or failure. Steiner is hella fun to watch, and I suspect he's the one the principle I'd most enjoy having a beer with (even if I'm certain he'd mock me for not speaking German properly) but you can see how he leads to a culture where people are stressed and feel they'll be dropped any moment. Ferrari seemed to believe they have a right to win rather than needing to work properly for it. With Horner you could see how he switched from being supportive to people's faces to coldly ditching them behind their back; like he wants to build the right culture but doesn't have the skills. And Williams just seemed to be floundering, with no idea how to understand their problems.

But then you have Woolf and Mercedes who really commit to the idea of looking for solutions not blame and supporting people to be the best and you could see it in the way everyone they talked to behaved as well as their successes on track. Yes, a lot of its about money, but you could really see how their culture has Mercedes the absolute team to beat. Woolf deserves a heap of credit for that.

Man of Honour
Not as good as the first season. They are trying to hard to invent stories where there are none. The Albon vs gasly bit is terrible. The fake commentary is cringe too. Probably more enjoyable if you don’t understand quicker vs slower teams, quicker tyres etc. Interesting seeing behind the scenes though. My god they love Horner and max.

Back
Top Bottom