Netflix: Drive to Survive

Man of Honour
The Renault episode is slow. So very slow. There isn't much of a story.

The Ferrari episode missed out some of the best blunders by them.

Still enjoying it as a nice intro to the new season.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Watched this all and the gasly /Red bull ep was the most brutal.
Just watched this, can't help but feel the tone towards Gasly engineered his downfall. It was almost like they wanted him to fail their standards. Feel for him, even though results are results at the end of the day. There is an element of the show playing with the timeline of things. Sure they didn't spam the radio like it seemed.

ButI do feel Red Bull using Max as a yard stick is a little unfair to a young and new driver. Albon did better but this rutheless approach will cost them a constructors championship if they're ever in the position because a number two will never get the chance to settle in and deliver at that level unless the bring in some experience.

Soldato
OP
Just watched this, can't help but feel the tone towards Gasly engineered his downfall. It was almost like they wanted him to fail their standards. Feel for him, even though results are results at the end of the day. There is an element of the show playing with the timeline of things. Sure they didn't spam the radio like it seemed.

ButI do feel Red Bull using Max as a yard stick is a little unfair to a young and new driver. Albon did better but this rutheless approach will cost them a constructors championship if they're ever in the position because a number two will never get the chance to settle in and deliver at that level unless the bring in some experience.

Gasly was just really that bad.

Max is obviously amazing, but Gasly wasn't even close. In comparison Max did this,

3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 4th, 1st, 5th, 1st, 2nd

And Gasly did:

11th, 8th, 6th, 17th, 6th, 5th, 8th, 10th, 7th, 4th, 14th, 6th.

He had to go.

Don
Gasly was just really that bad.

Indeed, I don't think it's that Red Bull are expecting another Max (in the same way that Mercedes would struggle to find another Hamilton), just that they know the car is a consistent top 6 car, so it should be running consistently in the top 6.

Max can drag the car into a podium position on occasion through talent alone, but in the event that something happens to Max, they need a consistent points scorer maximising Constructors points (in the same way Bottas does for Mercedes), and being able to capitalise if Mercedes or Ferrari fall down.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yeah, you guys are right. I guess for Red Bull they see 2020 as a big opportunity, so being ruthless wouldn't have landed them in a worse position but I do feel for the lad. He did well when he went back to TR so he's got that going for him.

The Spa episode was handled nicely. Following on from Gasly with Albon, it's interesting to see how he took the bull by the horns despite his friend passing. Certainly ticked the boxes on his debut and puts my thoughts on Gasly in perspective (although the photographer going on about replacing the "subject" in the marketing shots was a bit harsh).

The more I have watch though, the more I realise that I'd love to drive an F1 car but I'd hate to be an F1 driver. I like home comfort and routine too much!

Soldato
Finished it last night, really enjoyed it. Gasly had a very emotional up and down season.

As much as I like Williams and want to see them do well, Claire Williams came over very fake, and seems she doesn't really know whats going on.

Man of Honour
Finished it last night, really enjoyed it. Gasly had a very emotional up and down season.

As much as I like Williams and want to see them do well, Claire Williams came over very fake, and seems she doesn't really know whats going on.

I also finished it last night and I agree with your spoiler. I don’t like her at all.

Soldato
After watching im really surprised at how much Guenther just throws responsibility at everyone else. That speech in the garage, who they hell was that meant for in terms of motivation. Him not having ANY understanding of why the car wasn't performing well is a huge gap to have in a team principle, he seemed to have zero understanding of the teams needs or the car. Haas needs to get rid of him.

Claire Williams is just as bad, pinned all of the teams misfortunes on one man who came in very late to there season for car prepping and suppsed to fix it all, then acts like a child when dealing with him. She needs to do what her dad should have done and remove her.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Season 2 was noticeably worse.

Too much focus on Haas and Renault not enough on Ferrari and Mercedes. Some drivers barely got a mention and the whole Williams episode was terrible from start to finish.

I swear in season 1 they used more of the actual commentary from Crofty but this has so much obvious over-dubbing from the F1 chap that you know he was sat in a recording booth faking the excitement knowing the outcome.

Thankfully the OTT sound effects seemed reduce or I’m just used to them :p

Soldato
I'm sure I read somewhere Mercedes only let them film at the German race. Perhaps Ferrari had a similar agreement?

The sound affects are more subtle which is better.

I half agree with the lack of commentary, but Crofty can be too much!

Soldato
I like Guenther but he's not a good boss, threatening to sack people at the drop of a hat does not foster a good working environment. Apart from that he's a cool guy, but not the worst team principal on the grid.

Clair Williams is not the right person for the job of turning Williams around. She's had long enough and all that's happened is that they've gone backwards, and they still look like the slowest team this year. She would be an ok section manager, she like's details, like getting the teams kit sorted, or making sure people are wearing the right kit at the right time(she actually did this).

She doesn't have much of a clue with regarding details on the car, but she hasn't got the right people in place to take those responsibilities off of her. She needs a vehicle performance manager, like Andreas Seidl, to take load and let her deal with the finer details of running the team as a whole.

Paddy Lowe fell on his sword for the team, he had to restructure the team AND be responsible for the car - that's too much for anyone. Whilst I don't rate Paddy that highly, he isn't responsible for the crap-fest that is Williams at the moment. It didn't help that the car was very bad, worse than the bad car of a year earlier, so I do agree that he had to go, it just gave Clair an out as to who was responsible - ultimately it's HER.

They will have to get rid of her soon, I'd say it'll happen during 2021 after the new(rules) car is bad also, how many chances does someone get? She will run Williams into the ground, she doesn't even see it.

Associate
On Claire Williams - she made a comment about being angry about not being ready for Pre-season testing; and how did this happen? Ultimately as she is in charge all this happened on her watch. If people want the top jobs they have to assume the responsibility.

Soldato
On Claire Williams - she made a comment about being angry about not being ready for Pre-season testing; and how did this happen? Ultimately as she is in charge all this happened on her watch. If people want the top jobs they have to assume the responsibility.

Agreed, the Williams episode they point out that Lowe didn't accept responsibility for how bad Williams were. However neither did Claire and, I accept she can't know every minutiae of the team, as the de facto principle every single buck stops with her. I think the bit that nailed it was how surprised she seemed when they weren't going to be ready for testing.

Though on the subject of principles - it was interesting seeing the contrast between them all. How Steiner dealt with staff and problems vs Toto or even Christian. I'm really not sure who's worse between Steiner and Claire.

Overall though I enjoyed this season though I'd have liked to have seen some of the other drivers too. They're obviously going to focus on the drama but Kvyat had a mediocre year (well I don't remember him doing anything brilliant or terrible) and surely could have offered some insight on the Gasly/Albon move having been there himself. Norris and Giovanazzi - Norris stood out more this season but both were in their rookie season so would have been interesting seeing behind the scenes.

Soldato
I watched the series one after the other on an overnight flight back from Sao Paulo.

Whilst Steiner is an enjoyable watch he's an atrocious leader. Utterly awful, he'll never get the best of out of people behaving in the manner he does. As for Clarie Williams, she's way out of her depth.

Soldato
I watched the series one after the other on an overnight flight back from Sao Paulo.

Whilst Steiner is an enjoyable watch he's an atrocious leader. Utterly awful, he'll never get the best of out of people behaving in the manner he does. As for Clarie Williams, she's way out of her depth.
Both of them are looking for people to blame so they can wash responsibility. Cant believe Haas is sitting there believe a word that falls from Steiner, he seems like a no BS kinda guy.

Back
Top Bottom