• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which brand CPUs does your company/employer work with?

Associate
We have a massive off site data center, all HP Intel based servers except for 3rd party, there may be the odd Dell or something else.
Desktops all Intel, not sure on spec, but they will likely be terrible as we use VMWare vdi's.

Obviously using AMD based desktops (and probably servers) would be cheaper and more power efficient on the whole, but I could care less tbh... not my money! I'd sooner stick to what I know (Intel) with my own servers though, I don't fancy guinea pigging multi million £'s of telephony solutions in an AMD platform.

Soldato
Intel is a garbage company now, they lie all the time about the reliability of the products.

At work I've seen tens of thousands of Intel powered PCs over the years ... and can count the number of failed CPUs on two fingers.

Reliability is fine. They're full of security holes, and still relabelling a 5 year old core ... but otherwise reliable.

Permabanned
OP
Intel Has an Unfixable Chipset Security Flaw. Is it a Risk?

"Researchers with the security firm Positive Technologies have discovered a significant flaw in Intel chipsets dating back at least five years. The flaw is reportedly completely unfixable because it’s hard-coded into the mask ROM, making it impossible for Intel to update. It may also allow hackers to bypass any downstream attempt to secure the machine, including secondary processors like Apple’s T2 security chip.

The flaw Positive Technologies found is in Intel’s Converged Security and Management Engine (CSME), which is fundamental to the boot authentication process. Features like Intel’s DRM implementation, Intel Identity Protection, and Intel’s TPM all rely on the CSME."
Intel Has an Unfixable Chipset Security Flaw. Is it a Risk? - ExtremeTech

Researchers discover troubling new security flaw in all modern Intel processors
The flaw could see attackers steal passwords, login credentials, and more.
Researchers discover troubling new security flaw in all modern Intel processors | TNW (thenextweb.com)

APW

APW

Associate
we've moved to surface go tablets (which are intel gold cpu) and they're absolute poop. Crash/freeze all the time, I'd rather use my phone with Samsung DeX it will run smoother and be more reliable.

Soldato
Security holes means the opposite of reliability. You proved it yourself.
no proof of, "They are not. Restarting and crashing all the time. At least one time every day".

Also while you are at it back up your, "Intel is a garbage company now, they lie all the time about the reliability of the products".

links would be great :cry:

Soldato
no proof of, "They are not. Restarting and crashing all the time. At least one time every day".

Also while you are at it back up your, "Intel is a garbage company now, they lie all the time about the reliability of the products".

links would be great :cry:

^^^ This.

Reliability isn't related to security holes. Security holes are a design issue, not a failure in service.

Permabanned
OP
Not strictly speaking a business brand (however owned by one) but gives you an idea of what AMD are up against to try and gain any foothold.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/321919-alienware-really-doesnt-want-you-to-buy-an-amd-ryzen-pc

This is why customers should avoid such corrupted companies to buy from.

I have the Ryzen 9 5900X with MSI X570 Tomahawk WIFI, 32GB RAM, and planning to equip it with the Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB.

This is a monstrous PC that no Intel equivalent would come close to.

Associate
In the NHS we get whatever is left in Dell's historic part bin to otherwise throw away. So essentially core i3 or i5 if lucky but from 3rd to 6th gen cpus..... We mainly lack ram as can't even open a spreadsheet without crazy lag with only 3.5gb registered from 4gb stick.

Man of Honour
we are all AMD, Epyc (rome) at the back end, ryzen 3000 series in all the desktops and ryzen 3000/4000 series in all the laptops. We have been AMD based for a good couple of years now and there is zero reason for me to look back they are more powerful, consume less energy and im not pulling them down all the time patching them.

Soldato
In the NHS we get whatever is left in Dell's historic part bin to otherwise throw away. So essentially core i3 or i5 if lucky but from 3rd to 6th gen cpus..... We mainly lack ram as can't even open a spreadsheet without crazy lag with only 3.5gb registered from 4gb stick.

That's the NHS's fault for sticking with 32-bit Windows - it can't access any more. Christ, I work in a different bit of the public sector ... even we went 64-bit when Windows 7 launched. A good 10 years ago.

Soldato
we are all AMD, Epyc (rome) at the back end, ryzen 3000 series in all the desktops and ryzen 3000/4000 series in all the laptops. We have been AMD based for a good couple of years now and there is zero reason for me to look back they are more powerful, consume less energy and im not pulling them down all the time patching them.

Good to see AMD being used more.

When I was working (retired now), every company I worked for had Intel boxes, mainly Dells.

I enquired once (going back a few years) about getting an AMD box from a Dell supplier and he just laughed.

Man of Honour
Good to see AMD being used more.

When I was working (retired now), every company I worked for had Intel boxes, mainly Dells.

I enquired once (going back a few years) about getting an AMD box from a Dell supplier and he just laughed.

You would be surprised at uptake in the DC's. Id say the DC im woking with are rolling out more AMD kit these days than they are Intel.

That 5500u has the same multicore performance as the previous 4700u :) Impressive. Im using a 4700u now in a tiny little 13.3" envy and they are a fine CPU.

Back
Top Bottom