• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
I got into RC cars.

Get out in the sun, spend time out with the kids.

Its geeky but not anymore than gaming, Mrs prefers it because I get the kids out of the house.

I'm starting less and less to give a **** about the GPU situation and gaming in general now.

Exactly the same situation here. I got an ftx vantage brushless. What did you go for? Have you posted in the RC thread yet?

Soldato
Exactly the same situation here. I got an ftx vantage brushless. What did you go for? Have you posted in the RC thread yet?

Yea I got an FTX Outlaw which I love but also hate because the thing breaks allllllll the time.

I just purchased a Hobao Hyper VS 6S version with the upgraded 150a ESC, waiting on a few upgrade parts to turn up before I can give it a good test out but just from holding the thing it feel solid.

Soldato
All this talk of soldiering on with older hardware gave me the thought that people might consider buing a quality 1080p monitor for the latest AAA titles, instead of fighting to buy a GPU to drive 4k.

My son's OLED 4k TV looks better than my 1080p ultrawide monitor, but not enough to make me run out and buy a 4k monitor. Were it not for VR and my Reverb (4k less than an inch from my eyes looks aboutl like the 1080p monitor at my desk) , I would still be running my old 1080Ti with my 1080p monitor.

Associate
Yea I got an FTX Outlaw which I love but also hate because the thing breaks allllllll the time.

I just purchased a Hobao Hyper VS 6S version with the upgraded 150a ESC, waiting on a few upgrade parts to turn up before I can give it a good test out but just from holding the thing it feel solid.

Yes my vantage has had a couple of issues, but nothing too serious. Would've liked an arrma typhon but bit too much £££ at the moment for me. Might get a better one down the road if I stay interested in the hobby long enough.

GPUs can wait for a while

Soldato
OP
I got into RC cars.

Get out in the sun, spend time out with the kids.

Its geeky but not anymore than gaming, Mrs prefers it because I get the kids out of the house.

I'm starting less and less to give a **** about the GPU situation and gaming in general now.

When I hit 40, my gaming urge went of a cliff. Now I'm in my mid late 40's I rarely game. This years GPU guff has just re-enforced the fact that gaming has lost all appeal to me now. Might look into RC cars as i used to do that 30 years ago. Might be cheaper and more fun with my twin boys too. good call squire.

Associate
Not so much as given up for me, just not looking as I’m not feeling I need the latest and greatest at the moment. I don’t game anything like as much and what I have is doing me fine so the hassle stress and frustrations of the market just all up to sticking with what I have .

I spent the money on an e bike and am loving that a whole lot more.

Associate
It is pushing me to do paragliding. I brought a PC from Spain and it was opened in customs by the look of it, now the gpu is broken and there is no replacement or tech who could fix it.
I do stadia and I have a quest 2 and a lenovo explorer so the gpu was to power those not to play on 4k, you know... Alyx. But I think I will have to wait for a couple of years more, maybe by then quest 4 is on the market and can really feel the game, who knows.

Associate
When I hit 40, my gaming urge went of a cliff. Now I'm in my mid late 40's I rarely game. This years GPU guff has just re-enforced the fact that gaming has lost all appeal to me now. Might look into RC cars as i used to do that 30 years ago. Might be cheaper and more fun with my twin boys too. good call squire.
This is how i feel.
I was gaming unhealty amounts since i was 12. Nes, sega, ps 1234 PC. but now since i hit 40 i find myself watching a movie instead or if i game i game for 1 hour and feel like thats enoght this week. damn.

Soldato
I did that a few years ago and was one of my huge mistakes as i spent roughly around £5,000 on them that summer and then completely lost all interest in them during the winter..:o

Yea, I reckon I spent £800 since January.

Saying that a 3080 would have been about that.

I'm not spending any more now though, honestly, maybe, probably not lol.

Associate
Same with any hobby tbf. As with most hobbies you can go mental or cheap out/budget. You can still build sub £500 capable gaming machines with Vega graphics.

Saw an old mate in a car park a few months ago with his RC car. He was telling me about how the clubs were a bit excessive for him so he doesn't go, he just wanted a banger to blast about away from the kids and do something outside.

Soldato
Managed to grab a EVGA 1660 Super SC Ultra from a competitor a few days ago. Was extremely lucky as it was priced at MSRP, checked back an hour later and all had been gobbled up. No doubt these are now floating about on a marketplace right about now.

1660 Super wasn't my first choice of card and would have liked a 6x00XT or 3070 however, my build is finished for now and hopefully a GPU upgrade end of the year?

Associate
So this can't *just* be blamed on miners any more, which is a shame ;)
The chip shortage is hitting everything. Jaguar Landrover announced they're unable to keep producing cars because of chip shortages, and Peugeot announced they are putting manual/analogue dials in some of their cars as the digital ones require chips they just can't get (within budget). There just seems to be a global shortage of everything to do with chip manufacture.

So I' am *praying* our existing cards (1070Ti, 2070S, 2080Ti) don't give up the ghost any time soon, because it could a long old time before things get back to 'normal'

Permabanned

When you stop to think about it, anyone who is willing to pay upwards of £1000 for a graphics card really needs to question what they are doing in life, lol.

Soldato
When you stop to think about it, anyone who is willing to pay upwards of £1000 for a graphics card really needs to question what they are doing in life, lol.

Yea you are right, thing is these things are rare, prices are high, it's something you e been accustomed to buy over the years except this time to know you've got to pay a lot more, this is the mindset, so you pay, because you have to.

But..... actually if you step back from it all, you ar 100% correct, and I think that is going to start becoming the mentality goi g forward, as someone posted above it might not be good for gaming long term, where people just get fed up and go out and do something else instead.

Soldato
Up to a point, I'm glad that I have money to buy toys I don't need. However, there is a point where the relationship between the "happy" I get from the toy and the sum of money I spent for said toy become disconnected and, instead of having fun, I feel like a fool. At that point, I'm just purchasing buyers remorse at a premium.

I got really lucky getting an FE 3080 at $700. Even still, I spent $700 to upgraded from a 1080Ti and that money basically bought me "detailed shadows", "environment map", and low MSAA on my favorite driving sim in VR.

That's not a lot of "happy" for $700 but it was just enough for me. A 3090 would have given me maybe one more setting turned up, and "detailed grass" just wasn't worth another $800 *on top of* the $700 spent for the other settings with the 3080.

Damn. $800 for "detailed grass". Kind of harsh in that light.

Soldato
I'm just glad my rule of only upgrading my GPU every other generation, has worked out quite nicely.....Assuming this utter shambles sorts itself out in time for the 40xx cards, of course.

Soldato
OP
Damn. $800 for "detailed grass". Kind of harsh in that light.

THIS THIS THIS....and THIS

In the cold light of day, if you had 800 in a wad of cash notes in your hand and you thought, I'm now swapping this for virtual textured grass improvement, you'd think WHAT am I doing?

That's the disconnect that companies want when it comes to electronic payment...a click of a button, compared to handing over a visual, physical real amount of hard cash, compared to an electronic number on screen that you have no connection with.

Back
Top Bottom