• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Man of Honour
Ideally you don't want dedicated hardware inside your chip for anything. My bet is that in 3 generations we won't even have dedicated hardware for RT. It is a handicap to use a part of the chip for something that is not used all the time instead of using more compute units that work all the time.
That does not mean that the tensor cores in Ampere are a disadvantage. Since the performance is equal to Big Navi, they are an advantage. But an Ampere with more CU's instead of tensor cores, would have been even a better option.
I said before that AMD is giving us less hardware for almost the same amount of money and it is true. I am not saying that Big Navi cards are bad or are " console chips" like our friend calls them. They are pretty much a big leap compared to the older AMD generation and they can handle almost every game you throw at them, as long as it is not sponsored by Nvidia. There is nothing new under the sun. :D

The problem with RT and every tech Nvidia were promoting heavily is that if you focus too much on graphics, you can miss other important things a game will need to be a great game. And then you have Days Gone which was not the most awesome game on PS4 in any way and is coming to PC and it has better ratings than any RT game made so far. This should tell us something about the quality of PC games.

Ideally you have as little fixed function hardware as possible but RT doesn't lend itself well to general purpose compute - having dedicated hardware for it is always going to trump doing it on the shaders by quite a margin unless there is some radical new hardware design.

Soldato
Thought they couldnt leak numbers cos each dev will have diff numbers forced or something so amd could spot the leak sources.

Plus anyhow i dont take notice of that guy doubt he knows naff all tbh.

Associate
But it is not more capable, it is the same card. If anything it is less capable when using FSR since part of the hardware will be involved in the upscaling.
And he can't be right, what happened with the dedicated hardware, AI, neural networks and all that ... ? :D
Oh no! Soon someone will call the 3080 a console chip. A last gen chip since it has less memory than the consoles we have today.

Soldato
OP
Thought they couldnt leak numbers cos each dev will have diff numbers forced or something so amd could spot the leak sources.

Plus anyhow i dont take notice of that guy doubt he knows naff all tbh.

Red gaming tech is hit trying to copy MLID. Also his videos are impossible to watch because he has the most annoying voice I've ever heard

Caporegime
Red gaming tech is hit trying to copy MLID. Also his videos are impossible to watch because he has the most annoying voice I've ever heard

You have obviously never watched "chills" on YouTube, I want to flick his adams apple repeatedly when he narrates videos.

Soldato
The thing that gets me with that red bloke is that he is suggesting he knows people and always saying his sources and contacts which tbh i question big time as to why anyone would talk to this guy about secret stuff when he blabs it on his channel.

I think id rather see ltmatt have a utube channel for my amd news, least he would know more than most as he had worked with em in the past.

Soldato
The thing that gets me with that red bloke is that he is suggesting he knows people and always saying his sources and contacts which tbh i question big time as to why anyone would talk to this guy about secret stuff when he blabs it on his channel.

I think id rather see ltmatt have a utube channel for my amd news, least he would know more than most as he had worked with em in the past.

TBH I find this the same for most channels but time to time they do get something correct. I am sure Red Gaming tech leaked AMD having infinity cache before anybody else its where he got most of the increase in followers once it came out to be true.

Permabanned
But it is not more capable, it is the same card. If anything it is less capable when using FSR since part of the hardware will be involved in the upscaling.
And he can't be right, what happened with the dedicated hardware, AI, neural networks and all that ... ? :D
Oh no! Soon someone will call the 3080 a console chip. A last gen chip since it has less memory than the consoles we have today.

In simple terms, if you target 60FPS and FSR gets you 180FPS, you are getting up to 2/3rds of your GPU back to do RT.

Ampere on the other hand doesn't care in that respect as it can run both RT and Tensor in parallel with CUDA.

The reason I call RDNA2 a console chip is that AMD chose their route for both power and cost budgets associated with the console/mobile markets, while Nvidia went all out brute force. I'm looking forward to RDNA3, hopefully free of console constraints where they will hopefully move RT outside of the compute core.

Soldato
The reason I call RDNA2 a console chip is that AMD chose their route for both power and cost budgets associated with the console/mobile markets, while Nvidia went all out brute force. I'm looking forward to RDNA3, hopefully free of console constraints where they will hopefully move RT outside of the compute core.
So RDNA 2 not needing its own nuclear reactor makes it a console chip.WHat an interesting spin on the situation.
:cry:

Back
Top Bottom