New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
Thanks a lot for your input guys:)
I also had the tendency to keep and just enjoy it. It’s really not that bad and doesn’t bother me enough in regular use to make me want to return it, especially since there are no other major flaws.
Same with my 27" tbh.. I read so much stuff online about IPS glow and backlight bleed it kinda took away the excitement of setting up and using the monitor for the first time! Naturally, I was relieved when I found the monitor looked great and as you said, the minor bit of glow doesn't impact regular use at all so no point worrying about it!

Associate
The AW3821DW is one of a few widescreen monitors I've been looking at. The size of the stand and how far out the screen sits might be a bit too much for me though (I know I could probably get an arm but that's adding more to the cost). Would any of you guys that own it know how far from the back of the stand to the front (centre) of the screen would be?

Also I guess I'd also want to know if an expensive monitor like this is really worth the price seeing as though there are some reasonably priced 34" out there. Apart from the extra few inches what would you be gaining? It's not better HDR as that pretty much sucks on anything not OLED. I'd appreciate an honest assessment of the pros and cons.

Associate
The stand is a wonderful part of the monitor (it feels heavy and very well made) , but it does stick out a long way, there's not really any getting around that fact. I've got the stand in a box in the loft, but I'd estimate that the front centre of the screen was a good 30cm or so away from the back of the desk. My desk is 65cm deep, and I ended up wall mounting mine with a relatively flush bracket, so the back of the monitor is only an inch or so (if that) away from the wall. Being honest, if you have a regular depth desk, I think that the monitor will sit too close to you. However, you can get a wall bracket for a tenner or so, so if it's an option you may as well if you're willing to spend that much on a monitor.

You've already mentioned the hdr, and there is noticeable banding visible, especially on a dark background, but to be honest in games that aren't too dark it's pretty much a non-issue. I find it far too bright for non-gaming.

I can't really think of any other cons - if you have an nvidia card, the g-sync is glorious, and combined with high refresh rates it's a joy. I love every aspect of this monitor and can't recommend it enough, although readily admit it is not a cheap thing. However, for the specs, the main competitor seems to be the Samsung G9, which is a totally different beast, with varying reports of build quality, although I haven't personally used it.

Is it worth it? You are the only one who can really answer that. It is FAR more than I ever spent on a monitor previously, and also far more than I thought I ever would spend. Has it been worth it for ME? Absolutely. Games are massively more immersive, and if your computer is able to drive the screen, it's remarkable. And even though its aimed as a gaming monitor, it helps a huge amount for work (I spend all day with spreadsheets as I'm a bit of a thrill-seeker), and you have to remember that your monitor is something you will appreciate EVERY time you use your PC.

Permabanned
The AW3821DW is one of a few widescreen monitors I've been looking at. The size of the stand and how far out the screen sits might be a bit too much for me though (I know I could probably get an arm but that's adding more to the cost). Would any of you guys that own it know how far from the back of the stand to the front (centre) of the screen would be?

Also I guess I'd also want to know if an expensive monitor like this is really worth the price seeing as though there are some reasonably priced 34" out there. Apart from the extra few inches what would you be gaining? It's not better HDR as that pretty much sucks on anything not OLED. I'd appreciate an honest assessment of the pros and cons.

It really depends what you need and what your old monitor is. I was using a 60Hz, IPS, Freesync, 34" monitor. My number one requirement was 144Hz, but I figured that just buying a similar monitor with a higher refresh rate might make me feel like I had spent a lot of money for very little gain, even if it was a lot cheaper than the Dell. The Dell offered GSync over Freesync, four more inches, higher resolution, better colours, and a higher build quality. So really, it's an all round improvement, and to me it's better to spend £1200 to get that nice fuzzy feeling, than to spend £600 and be disappointed.

Associate

Thanks LiE!

The stand is a wonderful part of the monitor (it feels heavy and very well made) , but it does stick out a long way, there's not really any getting around that fact. I've got the stand in a box in the loft, but I'd estimate that the front centre of the screen was a good 30cm or so away from the back of the desk. My desk is 65cm deep, and I ended up wall mounting mine with a relatively flush bracket, so the back of the monitor is only an inch or so (if that) away from the wall. Being honest, if you have a regular depth desk, I think that the monitor will sit too close to you. However, you can get a wall bracket for a tenner or so, so if it's an option you may as well if you're willing to spend that much on a monitor.

You've already mentioned the hdr, and there is noticeable banding visible, especially on a dark background, but to be honest in games that aren't too dark it's pretty much a non-issue. I find it far too bright for non-gaming.

I can't really think of any other cons - if you have an nvidia card, the g-sync is glorious, and combined with high refresh rates it's a joy. I love every aspect of this monitor and can't recommend it enough, although readily admit it is not a cheap thing. However, for the specs, the main competitor seems to be the Samsung G9, which is a totally different beast, with varying reports of build quality, although I haven't personally used it.

Is it worth it? You are the only one who can really answer that. It is FAR more than I ever spent on a monitor previously, and also far more than I thought I ever would spend. Has it been worth it for ME? Absolutely. Games are massively more immersive, and if your computer is able to drive the screen, it's remarkable. And even though its aimed as a gaming monitor, it helps a huge amount for work (I spend all day with spreadsheets as I'm a bit of a thrill-seeker), and you have to remember that your monitor is something you will appreciate EVERY time you use your PC.

Thanks Bill, It looks like it's a good 25cm out. My desk is 80cm deep so it might not be too bad then. I've a 2070 super so I think I'd need g-sync. I'm wanting to get a better card but it's not really an option at the moment (unless you're prepared to spend silly money).

It really depends what you need and what your old monitor is. I was using a 60Hz, IPS, Freesync, 34" monitor. My number one requirement was 144Hz, but I figured that just buying a similar monitor with a higher refresh rate might make me feel like I had spent a lot of money for very little gain, even if it was a lot cheaper than the Dell. The Dell offered GSync over Freesync, four more inches, higher resolution, better colours, and a higher build quality. So really, it's an all round improvement, and to me it's better to spend £1200 to get that nice fuzzy feeling, than to spend £600 and be disappointed.

I do rather suspect that you get what you pay for generally, though that being said, reading through these forums and other articles online about monitors there does seem to varying tales of quality and issues regardless of what brand or price you pay. The monitor 'lottery' is a term you see quite a lot.

I've got an old 24" iiyama 60hz so anything bigger and faster would be an improvement tbh. It'd be for mainly for gaming and some coding/spreadsheet work. I've a 2070S so that's something I'll have to bear in mind I guess. Maybe a 34" rather than 38" will be a better option.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

Associate
Been using my AW2721D since just after Xmas. I have days where I want to go back to VA panels missing those deep blacks but overall for an IPS panel, it's a nice overall package. It looks so god damn good on the desk and it's very smooth. The fact I got no dead pixels and on light leakage/bleed is also a win. I'm surprised LG haven't accounted their model, since it's their own panel it's rare to see another company release a monitor with their panel first.

Permabanned
Thanks LiE!

Thanks Bill, It looks like it's a good 25cm out. My desk is 80cm deep so it might not be too bad then. I've a 2070 super so I think I'd need g-sync. I'm wanting to get a better card but it's not really an option at the moment (unless you're prepared to spend silly money).

I do rather suspect that you get what you pay for generally, though that being said, reading through these forums and other articles online about monitors there does seem to varying tales of quality and issues regardless of what brand or price you pay. The monitor 'lottery' is a term you see quite a lot.

I've got an old 24" iiyama 60hz so anything bigger and faster would be an improvement tbh. It'd be for mainly for gaming and some coding/spreadsheet work. I've a 2070S so that's something I'll have to bear in mind I guess. Maybe a 34" rather than 38" will be a better option.

Unless you intend to replace that 2070S in the near future then I would agree. Going to a 34" with all the goodies would be a cheaper upgrade and would have enough whistles and bells to keep you more than happy, I think. I am currently stuck with a 2070S and believe me it is not enough for the Dell 38". It will do, but it's sadly lacking.

Soldato
I've a 2070S so that's something I'll have to bear in mind I guess. Maybe a 34" rather than 38" will be a better option.

Only you can answer that

With Very High res monitors you really need to have and keep up with the latest & best GPU's unless your happy with having low graphic settings in games

A 38" is roughly 25% more pixels then a 34" so it pretty easy to workout roughly how many FPS you get on each monitor

Last edited:
Associate
I had a 3070 and even that felt a little weak for driving 144fps at high settings on 3840x1600. I have a 3090 now :D

Yeah, I suspected as much. The thinking was getting something that would I could 'grow' into so-to-speak as I upgrade down the line, but getting hold of those newer cards isn't an easy task so I could end up being stuck with lower settings. Might give the 38 a miss then and go with something smaller for now. Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.

Associate
That may well be the best answer for your situation, just remember that (in my opinion, others may want to chime in) spending money on a high level monitor is more likely to last than a high level GPU. If you're maxing your monitor now, all well and good, but if you then upgrade your GPU a better monitor would be able to leverage it.

Caporegime
That may well be the best answer for your situation, just remember that (in my opinion, others may want to chime in) spending money on a high level monitor is more likely to last than a high level GPU. If you're maxing your monitor now, all well and good, but if you then upgrade your GPU a better monitor would be able to leverage it.

This. I tend to keep my monitors for 6 years. My gfx card changes every 2 years.

Soldato
So how's everyone getting on with their 27"? I'm absolutely loving it still and the 240hz 1440p 3090 combo is just fantastic.

I wanted to just let people know that the PS5 actually works @ 4k on the monitor. The output is ultimately 1440p without HDR but it does accept the 4k signal and allow to select that as the output for your PS5. I will say HDR at 1080p does look terrific on the PS5 but I'm hoping they push a firmware update to 1440p eventually as getting that native HDR picture would be even better. I do realise the Series X has that option but that's what my PC is for :p

Associate
Got mine a couple weeks ago direct from dell.

If you work in a large corp who buy dell there's a link on the dell site for perks and they give discounts, with it already in a sale and applying my discounts I managed to secure mine for 970, what a ridiculous price when the LG version is 1600+

Dell said lead time was 42 working days, at around may/june but it turned up 2 days later..

Still running a 1080ti as my new build is still 6 weeks away so didnt mind the long lead time but here we are, takes a bit of getting used to and some games you want to run in a window rather than full screen, but next to my aging MG279Q it looks amazing. Wasnt expecting much from the HDR600 but its actually really nice.

Associate
Got mine a couple weeks ago direct from dell.

If you work in a large corp who buy dell there's a link on the dell site for perks and they give discounts, with it already in a sale and applying my discounts I managed to secure mine for 970, what a ridiculous price when the LG version is 1600+

Did you buy as a business customer or consumer? .... just trying to look for the discounts ...

Associate
You'll get it faster than that. I ordered one late in March and had within a normal time frame, around 3 working days I think it was, give or take a day. The initial timeframe was the end of May!

Back
Top Bottom