**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
The anxiety is new. It's a direct result of work and a conflict with her boss.
Her job and the mindset it's put her in means she can't stop thinking about it.

You know, when an issue in Your life consumes you.

She just can't 'forget about it'
It's just completely shut her down

ah right yes got i understand now, thanks.

Capodecina
Soldato
So tl;dr, sometimes the way to work through these solutions is to adapt and change and grow rather than expecting to go "back to normal" :)

Some people are naturally creative and being in a 9-5 job isn't for them. Not paying attention to one's creative side can also contribute towards negative mental health [as well as having bad managers].

I fully believe that no-one is put on this Earth without skills and talents to make a great living for themselves. It's just that, for varying reasons, some people never discover theirs.

Soldato
@LuckyBenski

What a great story and especially the result.
Is she happier than she ever was with work situation?
Yes, she said absolutely. "I was basically running on pure anxiety at that job which isn't sustainable, as I've proven" :D

That's a great story and outcome! On this quoted point, I'm a firm believer that some people just aren't cut out for the vast majority of jobs. I'd probably count myself in that if I hadn't lucked my way into a niche area.

Edit: when I say the vast majority of jobs I mean just that, not careers.
Some people are naturally creative and being in a 9-5 job isn't for them. Not paying attention to one's creative side can also contribute towards negative mental health [as well as having bad managers].

I fully believe that no-one is put on this Earth without skills and talents to make a great living for themselves. It's just that, for varying reasons, some people never discover theirs.
Very much agree. I also think I'm on the fence with full time "regular" jobs. My energy levels seem driven by anxiety and demand, so it's incredibly draining. I work better in project or delivery based roles which have natural breathing spaces. All part of the aforementioned adapting and growing - figuring out how I can feel useful at work without letting it run my entire brain!

Thanks everyone - showed girlfriend this conversation and she had a big smile on her face :)

Soldato
I've barely contributed to this thread but today I overcame a big block for me - i threw up!

I've always had a phobia of choking and being sick but I did not have much choice today as I seem to have food poisoning.

It was quite possibly the most horrible experience of my life -couldn't breathe /hyper(o?)ventilating, couldn't move and had my first proper panic attack in 10 years. Weirdly my hands completely locked up and I could not move my fingers at all for about 15 mins.

Soldato
I've barely contributed to this thread but today I overcame a big block for me - i threw up!

I've always had a phobia of choking and being sick but I did not have much choice today as I seem to have food poisoning.

It was quite possibly the most horrible experience of my life -couldn't breathe /hyper(o?)ventilating, couldn't move and had my first proper panic attack in 10 years. Weirdly my hands completely locked up and I could not move my fingers at all for about 15 mins.
Jesus! You need a bit more practice

Capodecina
Soldato

Throwing up because of food poisoning is one of the worst types of throwing up, because it can just go on and on till you're retching nothing but stomach acid.

It sounds weird, but when throwing up like this, or if it happens again, try to relax. Like in most situations, the more relaxed you can be, the more in control you are and, in this case, you reduce the risk of choking.

Anyway, it seems you're a bit better now so that's good.

Soldato
Can confirm the above, it gets unpleasant when you're dry heaving and just spent. End up with aching stomach muscles later. Having hardly thrown up during my later childhood and teenage years, it's taken me a while to get used to it. Mixture of drinking and 3 or so episodes of food poisoning over the last 10 years has taught me: you tend to feel better after throwing up than before. That helps me relax. Keep a glass of water handy to ease the process.

Also, well done! :D

Caporegime
I have found that self improvement is the key for my mental health problems. Gotta try and be better. Then you will feel better. Hard I know and can take years.
If it works for you, great. But self-improvement can't be the answer for everyone.

Take for example the people who just don't care. About themselves or about anything. Because everything is meaningless, at the end of the day.

Self-improvement does nothing when you don't believe your very existence is worth anything. Or anyone else's existence. That everything people fill their time with is a distraction. Done simply to keep occupied. For what? A fleeting glimpse of a feeling, that is gone a moment later.

Associate
For me, self improvement is impossible when anyone employed by the NHS refuses to medicate debilitating chronic fatigue with anything other than medications that cause more fatigue.

'Thinking happy thoughts' isn't a valid treatment for most mental health disorders.

Soldato
If it works for you, great. But self-improvement can't be the answer for everyone.

Take for example the people who just don't care. About themselves or about anything. Because everything is meaningless, at the end of the day.

Self-improvement does nothing when you don't believe your very existence is worth anything. Or anyone else's existence. That everything people fill their time with is a distraction. Done simply to keep occupied. For what? A fleeting glimpse of a feeling, that is gone a moment later.

Yes everything is ultimately pointless but do you really want to go through life doddling about and never achieving anything?

I used to have the same feelings so i never bothered in school. I think i had a comfortable home life so i was happy coasting along. It’s only since moving out that its all clicked for me and i’m putting more effort into my job and hobbies. I feel better for it and i feel happier.

Associate
I know what you guys are saying. I have taken up swimming and I do feel less anxious afterwards. No that it lasts long though. Also going for acwalk with my mum. I do still take my medication though.

Also I'm trying to cut down on the drink. I'm not talking about being a world beater.

Caporegime
Agreed, self-improvement doesn't have to be some giant leap, small steps every day/week/month. It can be as simple as doing one extra 5-minute task a day and in time you'll build discipline.

If you have a mental or physical condition though then you will likely need to get that addressed professionally. Things like chronic fatigue syndrome are difficult to diagnose and address, last I heard they still don't know the cause in most cases.

Capodecina
Soldato

If one is 'sufficiently' depressed, then getting the motivation for self-improvement is damn-near impossible. You don't want to - or see the point in doing - anything.

Associate
Trying to get my house in a reasonable state before the cleaner turns up. I know I will feel better when it is done. But it's a complete mess by the next week every time. But I refuse to give up.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Trying to get my house in a reasonable state before the cleaner turns up. I know I will feel better when it is done. But it's a complete mess by the next week every time. But I refuse to give up.

Ah yes, the old "**** the cleaner is coming, better clean up so they don't think I'm an animal" panic. I know the feeling well. We only have a cleaner for 3 hours every other week but it does make a big difference and gives us more free time to do the things we want to do at the weekend.

Associate
Ah yes, the old "**** the cleaner is coming, better clean up so they don't think I'm an animal" panic. I know the feeling well. We only have a cleaner for 3 hours every other week but it does make a big difference and gives us more free time to do the things we want to do at the weekend.

Yup. Same

Caporegime
Yes everything is ultimately pointless but do you really want to go through life doddling about and never achieving anything?

I used to have the same feelings so i never bothered in school. I think i had a comfortable home life so i was happy coasting along. It’s only since moving out that its all clicked for me and i’m putting more effort into my job and hobbies. I feel better for it and i feel happier.
Why not? What's the value in achieving anything? To gain respect? To be appreciated? Neither of those things have any real value. Absolute douchebags can become successful, gain respect, etc. And it seems a lot of the do. Some of the most vile people are driving around in fancy cars and buying up property.

The system is bent, the entire human race is bent, honestly where do I get off.

Caporegime
Why not? What's the value in achieving anything? To gain respect? To be appreciated? Neither of those things have any real value. Absolute douchebags can become successful, gain respect, etc. And it seems a lot of the do. Some of the most vile people are driving around in fancy cars and buying up property.

The system is bent, the entire human race is bent, honestly where do I get off.

You also don't want to be on your deathbed regretting wasting your life..

Soldato
I'm feeling anxious about a medical appointment that I have tomorrow, it's been a long time coming so thought I would have felt some relief as it should provide an answer but I have doubts about that. I have that nagging feeling that they won't find what is wrong and I will be referred somewhere else again.

Back
Top Bottom