The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Commissario
OP
Watched the first of the Eva films earlier for what is probably the first time in about 5 years and I enjoyed it, it keeps fairly closely to the early episodes of the TV series.

For those who ordered the new K-On! release from Funi/Manga check your discs sooner rather than later, apparently there are a lot of reports of the picture breaking up.
I suspect Funi will have to do a disc swap or recall for it, as it doesn't seem to be the odd bad disc in a batch.
I've moved it up my watch list so it's next after the Eva films.

[edit]
Also ATA are either officially announcing the contents of, or putting up an Eva set on Thursday at 5pm (likely Thursday rather than the normal Friday to match a US release). I'm hoping for it to be like the Escaflowne UE and have both the normal, and directors cuts, and all the available dubs etc.

And finally, they're also announced they're releasing Inuyasha, starting in September with a season 1 set.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My GF thoroughly enjoyed the Fruits Basket anime, the final season finale was a bit rushed in my opinion but overall it's a good series. It has mix of comedy and romance but the tone shifts as it progresses.
Anyone else excited and planning to watch Rebuild Evangelion 3.0+ 1.0 tomorrow/13th August?
Kinda wish it was shown at Cinema or something.

I started fruit basket, watched 7/8 episodes but still not hooked, it’s still setting up the characters and I’m not sure it’s doing it for me at the moment. It feels like the show is trying to find its moral centre for this kind of show but it’s taking its time and whilst it’s doing that, I am losing interest.

Associate
Watched the first of the Eva films earlier for what is probably the first time in about 5 years and I enjoyed it, it keeps fairly closely to the early episodes of the TV series.

[edit]
Also ATA are either officially announcing the contents of, or putting up an Eva set on Thursday at 5pm (likely Thursday rather than the normal Friday to match a US release). I'm hoping for it to be like the Escaflowne UE and have both the normal, and directors cuts, and all the available dubs etc.

They including the 'Official Dubs' and the original Dubs. I think that means the Netflix and the ADV dubs are included.
I'll let you know when it arrives in December

Commissario
OP
They including the 'Official Dubs' and the original Dubs. I think that means the Netflix and the ADV dubs are included.
I'll let you know when it arrives in December
Aye it's both.

It's an odd way of putting it but almost certainly how Khara wanted it. Personally from what I've read the "official" dubs are very clumsy in their use of language due to the translation, technically very well done in terms of performance but led down by the Japanese insistence on use of wording that doesn't sound natural to a native English speaker (IIRC the phrase "Third Children" is used which probably raised an eyebrow and question by the dub director an actors given it's such obviously wrong language to use when referring to one person).

It's an expensive set, but IIRC I paid ~£90 for the original US Perfect Collection box (RRP $190), about £15 each for the Platinum Edition DVD's (IIRC RRP $30 each), and £13 for the UK Platinum edition Tin from Zavvi after ADV UK folded.

Unfortunately it doesn't have Fly me to the moon :( in any of the 26 variants they used originally for the end, but hopefully it does have the correct end videos (IIRC the original DVD release didn't have the colour changed ones).

[edit]
It looks like it's sold out at ATA, and a comment on twitter by them says there will be other versions with details on the 30th.

Last edited:
Associate
Aye it's both.

It's an odd way of putting it but almost certainly how Khara wanted it. Personally from what I've read the "official" dubs are very clumsy in their use of language due to the translation, technically very well done in terms of performance but led down by the Japanese insistence on use of wording that doesn't sound natural to a native English speaker (IIRC the phrase "Third Children" is used which probably raised an eyebrow and question by the dub director an actors given it's such obviously wrong language to use when referring to one person).

It's an expensive set, but IIRC I paid ~£90 for the original US Perfect Collection box (RRP $190), about £15 each for the Platinum Edition DVD's (IIRC RRP $30 each), and £13 for the UK Platinum edition Tin from Zavvi after ADV UK folded.

Yeah, those sets where not cheap then. TBH, £200 isn't too bad.

Unfortunately it doesn't have Fly me to the moon :( in any of the 26 variants they used originally for the end, but hopefully it does have the correct end videos (IIRC the original DVD release didn't have the colour changed ones).

There was a comment on twitter about the costs. Something like a 50k per episode just for the music. Considering Netflix bought the rights for 3 million. Fly me to the moon would have cost an extra 1.3 million.

Commissario
OP
Aye I saw some comment about it being nearly the cost of a small house per episode just for the song rights :(

It's a shame because as much as I used to joke about the number of different versions they had, it fitted quite nicely in an odd way.

For anyone who buys a reasonable amount of ATA's discs their Anime Unlimited membership is worth it.
I worked out the other night that the ATA streaming sub I bought last year saved me about 70-80, much of that during the Christmas sale when I ended up getting the bebop UE with the 20% off voucher, and this years membership is adding up.

Soldato
I've just watched the first 3 of 4 of the Evangelion movies on Amazon Prime. I'm quite enjoying them but gosh in film 3 every is an utter git apart from our male lead. The plot is getting away from me a little so might have to do some reading up. Only number 4 to go. So far I think I preferred 1.11 the most with 2.22 a very close second. The third one just seems to have a funny pacing to it. Oh and the aformentioned gits.

edit: it was late and I was rushed my post above.

Evangelion 1:11 - 9/10 really liked it the character progress and story arc is balanced and relatively traditional. The secondary characters are fleshed out well and are meaningful. The animation is good although I'm not sure if the dub for the Amazon version is different to the one I watched on DVD when the film first got a UK release.

Evangleion 2:22 - 7/10 still like the character progression and story arc but the addition of the 2 new Eva pilots really disrupts the flow. I don't know if this was done better in the series (which I have never seen) but it's a bit jarring and they're more like a collection of attributes than characters at times. It feels like some of their plot is missing. But otherwise the strengths of the first movies are still present.

Evangelion 3:33 -5/10 this felt jarring to me compared to the previous 2. A whole bunch of secondary characters were gone and the plot missed the rounding effect. The remaining characters changed tone hugely and came across badly like I said above gits. The plot becomes less comprehensible. Still pretty but it feels like a lot of plot was left out.

Here's hoping 3+1 is a bit better.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
3.33 was I think the weakest of the 4 films (although I had no memory of 2.22 at all despite having watched it before), 4.44 I think took it back on track and explained a lot of what had happened in the skip between 2 and 3.

I just saw that ATA have extended their print run for Eva by 1000 units which is good, apparently the US release also sold out in 12 hours.

Soldato
Well I finished Evangelion 3+1 mostly incomprehensible nonsense. Maybe in the context of Japanese anime it makes more sense or if you have watched the Neon GenesisTV show. After my enjoyment all those years ago to 1 and 2 I am properly disappointed by 3 and 3+1.

Not got a downer on Japanese animation, I'm actually looking forward to watching Attack on Titan once the comic has completed, which I have loved.

Soldato
Not a lot of Evangelion really makes sense, the original series didn't, and neither did the rebuilds.

I quite liked the original series (at least until near the end) but I don't care much for the rebuilds, I mainly just watched this one as I'd seen the other ones.

Glad to have it out of my to watch queue, maybe in the future I would appreciate them more if I watched them in sequence. I feel like I was thrown into chaos with this Rebuild movie 4.

Soldato

As the world moves on from the war and technological advances bring changes to her life, Violet still hopes to see her lost commanding officer again. Premieres Oct 13 only on Netflix

Story finally coming to a close and it'll look visually stunning as all the previous works.

Soldato
If this is the one that was in the cinema earlier in the year; its a very pleasant watch :) gorgeous animation, bittersweet given the Kyoani tragedy and that some of the original staff that couldn't be there for the film.

Always good to see more high caliber stuff coming onboard to the streaming services though; as long as the bar to entry isn't too high (not like the old days where you'd be buying singles at £15-25 each). There is some truly great content on the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Crunchyroll these days. Funi has some great stuff too, but that interface makes me sad; kinda hoping Sony might do something about that and just merge Crunchy and Funi under the Crunchyroll branding. Its OVP service is just much better developed than Funi's has ever been whenever I've tried it.

Watching a few things recently; dipped back into lighthearted with Seitokai Yakuindomo as a friend wanted to watch it; same friend has me and the wife watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - not really my cup of tea, but eh, random episodes of a few other shows (for example Magician's Bride) and also ran through Beastars S2 recently (ending to this season was a bit dissapointing IMO), and also just begun watching Shigurui Death Frenzy which I'd had waiting for me on BD for years after picking it up many years ago as wanted to get back to working through some standalone seasons I had waiting to watch and clear through/verify if I was keeping.

Funny old world!
Did consider watching GITS on Odeon IMAX tonight but wife isn't worried about watching it (again) and I didn't fancy a solo watching of this one, when I've seen it so many times before. Still might change my mind though; Akira and a load of the Ghibli classics for example were great fun on the big screen a few years back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom