Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
I know OCUK likes Mondeos, so here’s my posh Mondeo. It’s a 2014 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.7 V6 which I got pretty much half price from a family member. It has 20k miles and feels like a new car with all the technology, although it’s probably pretty old fashioned compared to what they’re making nowadays. Only real plans for it are to remove the limiter and upgrade it to Sync 3 so that I can have CarPlay, and give it a good polish at some point. It’s not the most exciting thing in the world (particularly given what’s been posted recently) but I’m enjoying it so far.

Soldato
That's good to know. Did you do the upgrade yourself or pay for a shop to do it?

I did it, it was easy enough. With the Focus, to go from 2 to 3, you need the screen, APIM (controller module that attaches to the screen), a newer USB socket in the armrest for Carplay, and a replacement GPS antenna (Sync 2 uses a Canbus-interfacing antenna, 3 uses one that directly connects to the APIM via a Fakra connection).

Then it's just a case of disassembling the centre console, swapping the bits over, finding a home for the GPS antenna (I just swapped out the Sync2 one in the box behind the rear view mirror) and using Forscan to match the config of the APIM to what your car has and hasn't got fitted (reversing camera/parking sensors/climate control and whatnot).

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_AuGTOeO1A

Yep, same procedure.

Underboss
I recently did exactly the same upgrade to my Focus. Sync 3 is a big improvement over Sync 2 and having CarPlay is just brilliant. Totally worth the cost. I've used it in a few hire cars and I've always wanted it in my own!

interesting

whats the difference then Howard ?

only asking because i could get a 2012 Focus T.X. in my budget but not a 2013 on
2011-2012 have either pre ford sync or a late 2012 model has Ford Sync iirc

Soldato
interesting

whats the difference then Howard ?

only asking because i could get a 2012 Focus T.X. in my budget but not a 2013 on
2011-2012 have either pre ford sync or a late 2012 model has Ford Sync iirc

The pre-facelift (<2014.5) Focuses can be upgraded, it's just slightly more involved as you need to replace the fascia as well as the mounting hardware behind the fascia to hold the new, larger display. It's an even bigger upgrade from a pre-facelift on account of the screen being twice the size.

Soldato
Better navigation, better interface for music/radio, Carplay and Android Auto obviously with Sync 3, as well as wifi OTA map/system updates. Just a more modern interface on the whole.

Soldato
I did it, it was easy enough. With the Focus, to go from 2 to 3, you need the screen, APIM (controller module that attaches to the screen), a newer USB socket in the armrest for Carplay, and a replacement GPS antenna (Sync 2 uses a Canbus-interfacing antenna, 3 uses one that directly connects to the APIM via a Fakra connection).

Then it's just a case of disassembling the centre console, swapping the bits over, finding a home for the GPS antenna (I just swapped out the Sync2 one in the box behind the rear view mirror) and using Forscan to match the config of the APIM to what your car has and hasn't got fitted (reversing camera/parking sensors/climate control and whatnot).

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_AuGTOeO1A

Yep, same procedure.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'll definitely have a go at that at some point.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I know OCUK likes Mondeos, so here’s my posh Mondeo. It’s a 2014 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.7 V6 which I got pretty much half price from a family member. It has 20k miles and feels like a new car with all the technology, although it’s probably pretty old fashioned compared to what they’re making nowadays. Only real plans for it are to remove the limiter and upgrade it to Sync 3 so that I can have CarPlay, and give it a good polish at some point. It’s not the most exciting thing in the world (particularly given what’s been posted recently) but I’m enjoying it so far.

Tight whip!
I rented something similar years ago and seemed nice enough, being well screwed together and with a fair bit of poke.
It had an ant infestation in the boot though and I swapped it to a Ford Taurus, which was much of the same really.

Soldato
Tight whip!
I rented something similar years ago and seemed nice enough, being well screwed together and with a fair bit of poke.
It had an ant infestation in the boot though and I swapped it to a Ford Taurus, which was much of the same really.

Thanks - it has 300bhp which isn’t too bad for a non turbo 6 I guess - I certainly haven’t found it lacking in power. Funny you should mention the infestation - this one is full of spiders from sitting in a barn for ages. The previous owner has 3 other cars, plus a chauffeur driven government car so barely used it. I’ll give it a proper clean when I get the chance.

I’m originally from SE London so he has to speak to me in my own language :p

Man of Honour
IMG-4004.jpg

IMG-4006.jpg

IMG-4008.jpg

Both cars sold today.

Back
Top Bottom