• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Soldato
Price gap should be bigger too as intel now offering good value for money. Intel may end up taking the performance and the price crown this time.
That is literally not going to happen. Intel still tried to push the 11900K at 600 notes; 5900X money for less than 5800X performance? 10900K similarly was 600 notes just because in some gaming scenarios it was still the top dog. Do you honestly think that Intel will charge less than 750 if the 12900K outright beats the 5950X? They may continue their current Rocket Lake trend in having the bottom end of the stack priced well, but Intel will absolutely not want to be the "budget brand" and will charge hefty money regardless of how they stack up against AMD.
Either way its gonna get exciting again in the world of cpus.
CPUs didn't stop being exciting, AMD's stratospheric rise from the ashes has been plenty exciting in its own right, regardless of the hilarity Intel have been peddling recently.

Caporegime
CPUs didn't stop being exciting, AMD's stratospheric rise from the ashes has been plenty exciting in its own right, regardless of the hilarity Intel have been peddling recently.

Was going to say the same. Intel CPUs have been boring for many generations but AMD have been cracking on nicely both on desktop and mobile.

Soldato
Only 24 threads though vs 32 and 8 of those are from small cores so still a decent result if the benchmarks are accurate.
This is why I question the accuracy of those performance numbers. The 12900K is 8+8, and the little cores are rumoured to be roughly equivalent to a Skylake core without HT. Zen 2 outperforms Skylake, Zen 3 crushes it, and yet suddenly 8 Skylake-performant cores are pushing 12900K multithread performance way beyond 16 Zen 3 cores?

Those 8 big cores must be monstrous if that's the case, far better than what the single thread performance leak suggests.
...the CPUs that most people actually buy like the 5600X and 5800X will have less threads than their Intel counterparts which should have 16 for the 12600k and 20 for the 12700K so the performance gap should be much wider in Intels favour.
True, but it remains to be seen just how accurate those 12900K MT threads are, because it's the little cores that are getting chopped out with the various SKUs.

Soldato
Was going to say the same. Intel CPUs have been boring for many generations but AMD have been cracking on nicely both on desktop and mobile.
The last Intel CPU I was genuinely excited by was the Devil's Canyon 4970K, and that was only because I was building a client system at the time and managed to boot Windows at 5GHz on air. To this day I wish I'd kept that CPU and got him another one, I swear I could've got it stable if I used a better motherboard.

Soldato
Only 24 threads though vs 32 and 8 of those are from small cores so still a decent result if the benchmarks are accurate.

What you also have to remember is while the 12900K will still have a thread deficit against the 5950X the CPUs that most people actually buy like the 5600X and 5800X will have less threads than their Intel counterparts which should have 16 for the 12600k and 20 for the 12700K so the performance gap should be much wider in Intels favour.

Intel nuked HT in 2017 with security flaws and product segmentation. It will take a while for Intel to get back in the game and for people to adopt Intel way of working.

Nova Lake will be beasts in 2025. Until then, it’s all about Intel GPUs

Soldato

Yes, the last five years have been fantastic. A little slow on APU development but with the 4000/5000G APU’s have picked up nicely and once AMD start driving DDR5 and Intel enter the APU market I think the growth and development will be rapid.

Caporegime
OP

What you also have to remember is while the 12900K will still have a thread deficit against the 5950X the CPUs that most people actually buy like the 5600X and 5800X will have less threads than their Intel counterparts which should have 16 for the 12600k and 20 for the 12700K so the performance gap should be much wider in Intels favour.

It is very decent, but its not an 8 core CPU, no matter how much Intel are desperate to hark back to the Bulldozer vs Sandybridge days it has the same number of cores as AMD's chips, not half.

I'm just waiting to see which tech journalists say it has half the core of Zen 3 to see which ones are on Intel's pay role.

Associate
Definitely should not be calling a 16 core CPU an 8 core. Intel had a target in the 5950X and they'll everything they can to beat it this time round, i'm sure the power usage will reflect that.

Caporegime
OP
Definitely should not be calling a 16 core CPU an 8 core. Intel had a target in the 5950X and they'll everything they can to beat it this time round, i'm sure the power usage will reflect that.

Funny you should say that.

Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake CPUs Increase Peak Power Consumption to 468W, 15% More than 11th Gen Rocket Lake

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...on-to-468w-15-more-than-11th-gen-rocket-lake/

PL2 on these, that's continuous power, is 250 Watts.

The 5950X doesn't pull more than 140 watts continuous, that's the AM socket limit, Zen 4 is getting an LGA socket ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
+1

How can one say it has been boring? Maybe been boring if you are an Intel fan. What was boring was being stuck on my 4770K for over 6 years as Intel did not provide me with something worth upgrading to.

Soldato
Soldato

It must be difficult for our resident Nvidia focus group now Intel have entered the GPU market. They have too throw shade over both Intel and AMD at the same time, while deflecting attention away from Nvidias short comings.

It’s kind of like trolling yourself for a living while pouring money into the pockets of the companies that will make you redundant.

Soldato
I'm quite looking forward to seeing them pull double duty and if their criticisms remain consistent. I'm also looking forward to seeing new excuses and crazy rationalisations.

It's not just the CPU race that's hotting up, it's the petulant idiocy too!

Soldato
I'm quite looking forward to seeing them pull double duty and if their criticisms remain consistent. I'm also looking forward to seeing new excuses and crazy rationalisations.

It's not just the CPU race that's hotting up, it's the petulant idiocy too!

I’m quite looking forward to see what Intel’s graphics wing brings to the market over the years.

Soldato
Me too. 3 GPU vendors fighting it out can only be a good thing and Intel are off to a good start with XeSS.

I'm far more interested in Intel's GPU's than their CPU's.

So are Intel by looks of it. Intel have put far more effort into talking about everything surrounding ARC and Ponte Vecchio. Clearly Ponte Vecchio and ARC is Intel’s main focus and rightly so IMHO.

Ponte Vecchio, will no doubt be an amazing platform. I’d love to have a system based around it.

Intel have held their hands and finally admitted to the security issues and disregard for small level commercial users and proper enthusiasts. I just hope ARC gets a fair shake, as the people driving Intel graphics had nothing to do with the former nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom