• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So are Intel by looks of it. Intel have put far more effort into talking about everything surrounding ARC and Ponte Vecchio. Clearly Ponte Vecchio and ARC is Intel’s main focus and rightly so IMHO.

Ponte Vecchio, will no doubt be an amazing platform. I’d love to have a system based around it.

Intel have held their hands and finally admitted to the security issues and disregard for small level commercial users and proper enthusiasts. I just hope ARC gets a fair shake, as the people driving Intel graphics had nothing to do with the former nonsense.
Your 1800X has security issues also does it not? :p

Have you considered upgrading to a 5800X? Not done the maths on this but 4.1GHz on your CPU must be like 2.5GHz or so on a 5800X.

Soldato
It is very decent, but its not an 8 core CPU, no matter how much Intel are desperate to hark back to the Bulldozer vs Sandybridge days it has the same number of cores as AMD's chips, not half.

I'm just waiting to see which tech journalists say it has half the core of Zen 3 to see which ones are on Intel's pay role.
I still think it will be the mid to lower end where Intel have an advantage as for the first time in a long time they will be packing more cores than AMD equivalent CPUs.

Soldato
they will be packing more cores than AMD equivalent CPUs.
But they aren't, yet they are. It's going to depend entirely on how well the OS can schedule the cores. If Intel get it bang on the money then those 6+4 i5s are going to stomp the 5600X because of the 4 little cores bolstering the 6c/12t big part.

If the schedule totally bodges up to the point the little cores don't do anything, then Intel will have core count parity and performance will be marginally higher (unless 3D stacked Zen comes to the lower SKUs as well).

This is a key point that really can't be speculated on, it literally has to wait until Alder Lake with proper OS support lands.

Soldato
But they aren't, yet they are. It's going to depend entirely on how well the OS can schedule the cores. If Intel get it bang on the money then those 6+4 i5s are going to stomp the 5600X because of the 4 little cores bolstering the 6c/12t big part.

If the schedule totally bodges up to the point the little cores don't do anything, then Intel will have core count parity and performance will be marginally higher (unless 3D stacked Zen comes to the lower SKUs as well).

This is a key point that really can't be speculated on, it literally has to wait until Alder Lake with proper OS support lands.

And for all the middleware to catch up. Performance will probably be a little hit and miss for a while.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have 5 systems, well actually 7 and two laptops. And another one the way. Plus a half finished cluster. And a pair of servers.
You spend longer typing all that then answering the question or updating your sig :p

I got loads of systems in my house too, but only 1 is my main one and that is in my sig.

Soldato
Geez. You have spent longer dodging the question. Will leave it at that.

Oh, no we won’t. We’ll go through my systems one at a time.

Dell XPS 13
10657G
16gb 3733Mhz
3840x2400
With crumbling rubber anti slip pads that Dell refuse to accept as a defect. Should probably waited and gone with a HP Ryzen 4700U, but the XPS screen is so nice!

Caporegime
OP
Edit: Around the same time ^^^^^^^^^^

So the ETA on these is Dec?

I'm mulling over a 5600x purchase which I was close to buying yesterday.

Apparently so but i'm not sure if they are going to do 3D stacking right the way down the range, these will be EPYC Milan-X salvage parts, IE those that don't quite make the silicon quality for server, which is how we get all our Desktop CPU's, there is no reason why they couldn't make a 5600X3D with them but they might like to keep them for higher end parts as the supply of them is not going to be infinite.

If you can wait do that and see then.

Back
Top Bottom