what shortage would stir/rile you?

Soldato
A shortage of beer would annoy me. Can live without toothpaste, toilet roll, not really fussy with food, so everything else should be good.

You can make alcohol really easily though if you needed to.

Literally water, some kind of sugar and yeast, and wait. Might taste like **** but it'll work.

Its what I like to think if the world really went to ****, at least I'd be drunk as ****.

Man of Honour
Some people buy things daily which is just for their evening meal plus a couple of items bought weekly (milk), monthly (coffee) etc. My friend does this, yet has the money to do a proper week’s shop and storage space. Don’t understand this as her parents have large store cupboards
A few reasons:
  • Most food is likely to be fresher if you eat it on the day of purchase rather than a week later
  • Less wastage from incorrectly predicting food requirements for future days. e.g. you have a meal planned for Thursday, but then your plans change (e.g. a social engagement) meaning you didn't need a meal for that day after all
  • Parents of said person might not want their daughter filling up their store cupboards
  • Transporting a day's shopping is a lot easier than a week's shopping on foot / public transport
  • Offers change over time so if you focus on bargains when shopping then you can get a bit more choice by shopping daily
  • Daily shopping means you can take advantage of discounted items at the end of the day - doesn't really work if shopping weekly, as the items with big end of day discounts are usually highly perishable
As for the OP, the only shortages that would significantly worry me would be utilities and medicines.
Dishwasher tablets would be a bit annoying I suppose.
Food stuffs are largely interchangeable, in a macabre sort of way I'd quite like some shortages of my staple food because it would force my hand into trying more different things.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can make alcohol really easily though if you needed to.

Literally water, some kind of sugar and yeast, and wait. Might taste like **** but it'll work.

Its what I like to think if the world really went to ****, at least I'd be drunk as ****.

Or just chuck a sachet of bread yeast into half a dozen cartons of cheap apple juice, wait a few weeks and enjoy the nastiest driest cider you'll ever taste. :D

Associate
A shortage of nappies in the first lockdown, very nearly ran out for my daughter (1 year old at the time). They were rationing enough to last 1 baby 1 day at our local shop.
Water too, she decided to throw up all over our bed in the middle of summer just as we had a water cut due to a burst pipe somewhere, so had no way to clean up the mess.

Caporegime
I could get a bit antsy if Grey Goose vodka became elusive, but I’m not too proud to drink Smirnoff.
I’d be quite prepared to lean on my wife to drive us down to Ashford, Kent, (I detest driving), and take Le Shuttle to Calais, buy half a dozen bottles of Laurent-Perrier Champagne or possibly Armagnac and/or Calvados, have a late lunch or early dinner in Le Grand Bleu restaurant, right on the quay at Calais, then back to Angleterre.

Not sure if serious.

Grey goose is overpriced thanks to its marketing. Smirnoff is disgusting.

Russian standard is all anyone should be buying. The gold has flakes in it. Better off with the standard version. Vodka is just ethanol and water. So long as they made the ethanol right (which is easy to do) and it's using half decent water it doesn't need to be expensive to be good especially if like most folk you are mixing it.

Grey goose, ciroc and belvedere is literally for folk who buy Gucci belts.

Expensive vodka is just marketing hype. I dare anyone to actually know the difference after 3-4 home measures, most probably couldn't pick out grey goose from a blind test of 10 decent vodkas priced between £16-£22 per bottle sober.

Man of Honour
Not sure if serious.

Grey goose is overpriced thanks to its marketing. Smirnoff is disgusting.

Russian standard is all anyone should be buying. The gold has flakes in it. Better off with the standard version. Vodka is just ethanol and water. So long as they made the ethanol right (which is easy to do) and it's using half decent water it doesn't need to be expensive to be good especially if like most folk you are mixing it.

Grey goose, ciroc and belvedere is literally for folk who buy Gucci belts.

Expensive vodka is just marketing hype. I dare anyone to actually know the difference after 3-4 home measures, most probably couldn't pick out grey goose from a blind test of 10 decent vodkas priced between £16-£22 per bottle sober.

What can I say Sonny, perhaps I’m a marketers dream, I like the taste of Grey Goose, and if Smirnoff is disgusting, maybe I need a tongue transplant, but I don’t own a Gucci belt, or even a Gucci watch strap.
I often buy Russian Standard, I have two litres in the freezer now, never tried Ciroc, but I’m not averse to Belvedere.
I do mix Smirnoff with a splash of tonic water, but I like Stolychnya straight up, fresh from the freezer.
There was I, kidding myself that I’m an eclectic gourmet, turns out I’m little more than a gullible peasant!

Soldato
Regarding the ‘gold’ flakes. Back in the mid naughties, I remember people said the flakes in Goldschlanger were there to cut your throat a bit to get you drunker as the alcohol would get into your blood.

I didn’t believe it then, and I don’t believe it now. But quite funny that’s what the purchasers thought of the marketing gimmick.

Can't type for toffee
Don
What can I say Sonny, perhaps I’m a marketers dream, I like the taste of Grey Goose, and if Smirnoff is disgusting, maybe I need a tongue transplant, but I don’t own a Gucci belt, or even a Gucci watch strap.
I often buy Russian Standard, I have two litres in the freezer now, never tried Ciroc, but I’m not averse to Belvedere.
I do mix Smirnoff with a splash of tonic water, but I like Stolychnya straight up, fresh from the freezer.
There was I, kidding myself that I’m an eclectic gourmet, turns out I’m little more than a gullible peasant!

Yeah rs would be my normal grab, have you tried that zubrovka biala? That was nice for a change.

If you like gg should try the French grain vodka from lidl and the Kirkland (costco) select French grain. Rumour has it that its actually gg made stuff in the costco bottle :) gg disagree tho haha tho they would if it was a legit way to get their product cheaper haha

Soldato
Regarding the ‘gold’ flakes. Back in the mid naughties, I remember people said the flakes in Goldschlanger were there to cut your throat a bit to get you drunker as the alcohol would get into your blood.

I didn’t believe it then, and I don’t believe it now. But quite funny that’s what the purchasers thought of the marketing gimmick.
How daft is that! I can’t feel them

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Electricity.

A few months ago the power went off for a few hours (in our area) and it was horrendous. The weather was bad, so apart from going for a drive to get food there was nothing to do except watch as your food in the freezer slowly goes off and your phone/tablet battery drains.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Electricity.

A few months ago the power went off for a few hours (in our area) and it was horrendous. The weather was bad, so apart from going for a drive to get food there was nothing to do except watch as your food in the freezer slowly goes off and your phone/tablet battery drains.

Haha that's when power banks come in usefull :)

I've got a few that are normally charged and ready to go

Back
Top Bottom