Online coffee beans retailer

Caporegime
But the orignal post in this thread was just about buying beans, why would you suggest that he spend £500 on a roaster?

"If you enjoy coffee, and getting serious, think about getting a roaster and buy green beans instead. It’s cheaper and stay fresh longer. So you can stock up and then roast fresh when you want."

Fair enough if you don't want to.

Tea Drinker
Don
"If you enjoy coffee, and getting serious, think about getting a roaster and buy green beans instead. It’s cheaper and stay fresh longer. So you can stock up and then roast fresh when you want."

Fair enough if you don't want to.

What's the ROI on a roaster, waste, maintenance, electric and time?

Or you could just buy pre roasted beans (the horror)

Caporegime
What's the ROI on a roaster, waste, maintenance, electric and time?

Or you could just buy pre roasted beans (the horror)

Financially or time is not really the whole point, it's also about having total control over roast profile, your own blend, experimenting.

A bit like why would you cook at home or doing any kind of DIY or doing anything to your own car? Cooking or roasting coffee, is more than about waste, maintenance, electric and time. You know that.

Some people said in another thread that it is a lot of hassle, and I agreed, in a manual context it's a lot of faff. Hence (i am), looking at those automated machines.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Most people just want a cup of coffee, not a pretentious load of ********.

Then you are in the wrong thread and forum.

Have you checked out the prices for 200g bag of coffee in some of the links above?

You do realise that coffee can be something you do as a hobby, when it becomes more than instant, you can do much more into it, invest much more into it.

This is what it is, if you don't understand that, i suggest you leave the thread.

Soldato
OP
Most people just want a cup of coffee, not a pretentious load of ********.

Nah I agree. There is a hell of a lot of snobbery when it comes to coffee. Dont get me wrong, I like coffee, I buy the breans and grind them in a grinder, my burr grinder was £35 on Amazon, had it for years, works fine. That coffee is much better than nescafe or whatever, but past that I think people start getting obsessed but much like the emporers new clothes.

Like people spending £500+ on a grinder, why? Surely if its ground its ground?

Have you checked out the prices for 200g bag of coffee in some of the links above?

Yeah but those websites are rip offs, sorry, but the coffee beans I buy at literally half that price are perfectly fine and make nice coffee.

I have bought posh coffee like that before in the past and I dont think it is any better than the stuff I usually get.

Anyway, on the subject of this thread, I found that Hormozi sell through ebay at more or less the same price, just I will just order through them as ebay handles all of the payment transactions.

Caporegime
Yeah but those websites are rip offs, sorry, but the coffee beans I buy at literally half that price are perfectly fine and make nice coffee.

I have bought posh coffee like that before in the past and I dont think it is any better than the stuff I usually get.

Anyway, on the subject of this thread, I found that Hormozi sell through ebay at more or less the same price, just I will just order through them as ebay handles all of the payment transactions.

Which is why I brought up home roasting.

Green beans is half the price, i mean you are making home espresso from beans anyway. It's not really that big a leap. £1000 machine, yes, but that's me. I am not asking anyone to buy that. You are free to judge me on my spending but at the end of the day, I am also free to buy what i want. What I place value in has nothing to do with anyone.

With coffee, you start drinking it, most people start with Instant.
Then you perhaps go to Starbucks or Costa. Some might think "Why waste all that money?! drink instant!"
Then you want something nicer at home so you get a french press or a Moka Pot. Some might think "Why waste all that money?! drink instant"
Then you might want to try another brew method, perhaps a Nespresso machine. Some might think "Why waste all that money?! I drink instant"
Then you want something more fresh, so you get beans and now need a grinder. Probably a £50 burr grinder. Some might think "Why waste all that money?!"
Then you want an espresso machine, you want that strong hit. Some might think "Why waste all that money?!"
Then you want to Upgrade because you've had it a while. May be a Lelit machine, from the Sage. Some might think "Why waste all that money?!"

I could go on, the journey doesn't really have an end, what you think is excessive is not someone else's.

This is coming from someone who buys £1.09 bag of pre-ground to drink at work! I really am flexible on what coffee I buy, but I also find the idea of roasting quite interesting.

Yes, I also have a £500 grinder, but i know people who have that grinder and a £2500 espresso machine. No judgment from me. I am currently using a V60 and have emptied the water from my Gaggia.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah I agree. There is a hell of a lot of snobbery when it comes to coffee. Dont get me wrong, I like coffee, I buy the breans and grind them in a grinder, my burr grinder was £35 on Amazon, had it for years, works fine. That coffee is much better than nescafe or whatever, but past that I think people start getting obsessed but much like the emporers new clothes.

Like people spending £500+ on a grinder, why? Surely if its ground its ground?

Agree with you in happy with Lavazza from Costco 2kg for like £15 and it's perfect for me. I do like the espresso blend from Rave but that's twice the price and not twice the quality.

Caporegime
Agree with you in happy with Lavazza from Costco 2kg for like £15 and it's perfect for me. I do like the espresso blend from Rave but that's twice the price and not twice the quality.

Diminishing returns, very few things are twice the price = twice the quality. Especially when you get to the higher end, which is what this is.

We are talking about preferences, subjective and personal choices here. There is no right or wrong.

Soldato
OP
Which is why I brought up home roasting.

Green beans is half the price, i mean you are making home espresso from beans anyway. It's not really that big a leap. £1000 machine, yes, but that's me. I am not asking anyone to buy that. You are free to judge me on my spending but at the end of the day, I am also free to buy what i want. What I place value in has nothing to do with anyone.

With coffee, you start drinking it, most people start with Instant.
Then you perhaps go to Starbucks or Costa. Some might think "Why waste all that money?! drink instant!"
Then you want something nicer at home so you get a french press or a Moka Pot. Some might think "Why waste all that money?! drink instant"
Then you might want to try another brew method, perhaps a Nespresso machine. Some might think "Why waste all that money?! I drink instant"
Then you want something more fresh, so you get beans and now need a grinder. Probably a £50 burr grinder. Some might think "Why waste all that money?!"
Then you want an espresso machine, you want that strong hit. Some might think "Why waste all that money?!"
Then you want to Upgrade because you've had it a while. May be a Lelit machine, from the Sage. Some might think "Why waste all that money?!"

I could go on, the journey doesn't really have an end, what you think is excessive is not someone else's.

This is coming from someone who buys £1.09 bag of pre-ground to drink at work! I really am flexible on what coffee I buy, but I also find the idea of roasting quite interesting.

Yes, I also have a £500 grinder, but i know people who have that grinder and a £2500 espresso machine. No judgment from me. I am currently using a V60 and have emptied the water from my Gaggia.

I am not judging you. I apologise if it came accross like that, actually I think you have taken a bit of (unfair) bashing in this thread, if you look through, not from me.

You can do what you like if you get enjoyment out of it.

I am just saying, not directly at you, but there is a lot of snobbery and people that are spending a great deal of money buying into marketting ******** to end up with the same result as my half price ebay beans and cheap grinder.

Soldato
I think the biggest jump is definitely going to freshly ground beans, for instance a bean to cup machine. It's infinitely better than instant after that like you say subtle differences.
Pod machines are good for what they are not I found my nesspresso machine so expensive when you're having 5 or so pods a day each.

Caporegime
I am not judging you. I apologise if it came accross like that, actually I think you have taken a bit of (unfair) bashing in this thread, if you look through, not from me.

You can do what you like if you get enjoyment out of it.

I am just saying, not directly at you, but there is a lot of snobbery and people that are spending a great deal of money buying into marketting ******** to end up with the same result as my half price ebay beans and cheap grinder.

People are free to spend what they want and get enjoyment out of. What you see subtle differences in, someone else might not see that, taste that, hear that, notice that. Be it wine, chocolate, cheese, to fast car, new phone, latest computer. One can easily rip into another on the silly amount they throw at cars and its depreciation...it makes £1000 coffee roasting machine looks like pocket change. But if you get enjoyment from your purchase, go nuts.

Soldato
How much difference in flavor is there between beans ground in a machine that costs £35 compared to a machine that costs £500?

I bet it is like speaker cables and 99.5% of people can not tell the difference but will swear they can just to justify the expense.

If you're pulling espresso....a massive amount. Changing the grind from a 25 second shot, to a 35 second shot, will give you everything from nasty sour brown water, through thick, bitter sludge.....or if you get it just right, a nice drink.

Not that you'd likely be able to even grind fine enough to pull an espresso with a 30 quid grinder.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE where did you go in the end?

I bought a few packs from Rave as there was an introductory discount. Very impressed with the Signature Blend and the Swiss Water Decaf. Not sure I can afford to keep returning as they ran out so quickly.

On the lookout for cheaper fresh beans. Local roasters are around the £24/kg mark so not much better.

Back
Top Bottom