If you work from home what do you do?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Do people in call centres work from home?

I remember 25 years ago speaking to a friend in the US on how they work on the phones but work from home. They were able to type in different codes on their phone and get calls directed to their home phone. I've often wondered if this happens over here?
Ive done quite a few virtual call centre projects for household names. Lots operate in this way. There is no real reason to have handling agents in one place and this sort of role is very easily "policed" by their team leaders through agent call stats :)

Man of Honour
I feel like this is the point @Tefal is getting at. If you aren't manufacturing, farming, making, mining, etc something, what value are you really adding to society?
I largely agree. I run IT support teams for a bank. I'm ludicrously busy but a lot of my work is reporting to big chiefs further up. A lot of it is simply work for works sake. I am happy to admit that my job offers little value to society. It's another reason I'm looking for a change.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Some of our hospital staff have their desk phones transferred to their mobiles.
Not quite what he means :) Virtual call centres the agents all have proper desk setups at home, proper desk phone etc with a dedicated line/router linked to exactly the same groups and round robins that they would have within a corporate location.

Caporegime
Yeah but what is that?
I'm 50% a script monkey, 50% user IT support (our users are all WFH too).

Where a software engineer (dev) would design and build a bridge across a river, I basically keep throwing stones into the river, until enough of them pile up that you can just about walk across. But you'll still get your feet wet.

Hmm, that analogy doesn't explain how I can wfh, does it... Well, the river is virtual, and so is the bridge. Also the stones. :p

Soldato
Unfortunately we don't get overtime. We are expected to work a "professional day". In other words loads of free time to the business. I've posted on here recently how I've had enough of it and am going to change jobs though :)

That's annoying. Good luck with the new job. :) Strictly speaking and according to my contract I'm not entitled to overtime either. Thankfully we get paid every hour we book to the project that I'm currently on, so my director is happy to pay the overtime. That said we don't really get pressure from above to work long hours unless it's absolutely necessary. Even then we can just take the time back when things are a bit quiet.

Man of Honour
There you are, this is what I do most of the day if I squeezed it all onto a 14" laptop screen:

stuff.png

Caporegime
OP
I feel like this is the point @Tefal is getting at. If you aren't manufacturing, farming, making, mining, etc something, what value are you really adding to society?

No its not what I'm getting at I'm wondering what the actual specific tasks are

As this thread shows most just give vauge answers, it's easy to say what is done in a production environment or an engineering environment or even a lab environment but offices always seem so vauge

Edit although now people have been more specific its quite fascinating a lot is esentially just same old production tasks with a different tool set it seems.

Also on the netflic topic I work in production and still watch netflix:p

Last edited:
Soldato
No its not what I'm getting at I'm wondering what the actual specific tasks are

As this thread shows most just give vauge answers, it's easy to say what is done in a production environment or an engineering environment or even a lab environment but offices always seem so vauge

I do a range of stuff really, the most time consuming one at the moment seems to be sitting in meetings :(

Reviewing various spreadsheets from an individual company level and consolidating into a group level and then feeding that up the chain (and asking questions of the individuals if things don't make sense)
Rolling out new systems (Financing planning, timesheets, expenses, etc) to new acquisitions and existing companies who may not be using all the systems we currently have
Looking at how people do things and then attempting to make their life easier, either through a change of process or the addition of software

Permabanned
I've always been kinda curious what happens inall these office type jobs especially with all the wfh.

What specifically do you all actually do?

I only ever hear vague "answer emails" or have teams meetings.

Are you all just round Robin emailing each other or does something happen somewhere?

What kind of question is this?
Home office means the things that you do normally in the real office need to be done at home.
Except the real face-to-face meetings which should happen virtually via Zoom or Teams.

Of course, not true and not possible for the production lines in the factory. You have to be physically there.

Back
Top Bottom