Thinking of buy a VW Scirocco

Soldato
12k mile difference between petrol and diesel is going to be so little in comparison, and you don't have to worry about the DPF or any ULEZ.

I personally like the TT, but if you're looking for something sporty, I agree with the suggestion of MX-5 RF, GT86. What about Renault Mégane RS?

Or something more practical 5 door but still sporty looking, the 2017+ Civic 1.5T, a lot bigger, 180bhp, but apparently still a decent drive.

Or (I know it's fairly common) but 2015+ Focus ST.

Permabanned
Alfa I wouldn’t trust the reliability sorry but the bad rep will forever stick.
Civic I share you sentiment, no matter how good the cars are they are just fugly.
Golf is what it is just a good all around car, seat Leon is almost the same just cheaper looking and feeling interiors.
Octavia VRS?

Soldato
Alfa Romeo Guilia
Jaguar XE
Vauxhall Insignia (not sure this counts as less common, but offers reasonable value, you will get a lot of spec)

an insignia GSi Nav (estate preferably) would be a good option. Uncommon, 260bhp turbo, Bose sound system, panoramic sunroof, fully loaded with all the kit, they look good etc……. Still a Vauxhall of course.

you won’t get one for under 20k though and I doubt many would spend that much on a second hand Vauxhall haha!

There probably are more sensible potions out there but I like them (I’m a sucker for big Vauxhall’s - always have been haha!)

Associate
Alfa I wouldn’t trust the reliability sorry but the bad rep will forever stick.
Civic I share you sentiment, no matter how good the cars are they are just fugly.
Golf is what it is just a good all around car, seat Leon is almost the same just cheaper looking and feeling interiors.
Octavia VRS?

I have both a Giulia Veloce 280 and a Diesel Skoda VRS (2018) And while the Skoda may seem to be better built been a Golf, the Giulia is a car the VRS and any golf won't be. Fun to drive, an event a driver's car. Don't let the reputation put you off they are a brilliant buy at 20k and don't get a diesel.

Permabanned
I have both a Giulia Veloce 280 and a Diesel Skoda VRS (2018) And while the Skoda may seem to be better built been a Golf, the Giulia is a car the VRS and any golf won't be. Fun to drive, an event a driver's car. Don't let the reputation put you off they are a brilliant buy at 20k and don't get a diesel.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the op is looking for a drivers car as such , at least he wouldn’t be looking at a scirocco if that was the case,

If you have warranty then an Alfa is a valid choice but I wouldn’t trust a second hand one much.

Associate
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the op is looking for a drivers car as such , at least he wouldn’t be looking at a scirocco if that was the case,

If you have warranty then an Alfa is a valid choice but I wouldn’t trust a second hand one much.

That statement is said for any manufacture why do BMW and Audi do well-selling warranties on older cars? That's a bold statement. Don't discount the Giulia on based on a Top Gear episode from 2006. The Giulia is a brilliant car even in Diesel form, and reliable.

And the Guilia isn't in the same class as a Golf, I only chipped in due to it been mentioned and I have 2 cars mentioned, although a Skoda but the VRS a diesel variant, this is miles off a Giulia. Sure it may get 15mpg more but it's rattly and unrefined.

Edit// Should also add the last time I looked these were under £20k Seems they have jumped in price. £23k seems average now for the 2.0T Veloce :eek:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...tising-location=at_cars&year-from=2017&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...lude-delivery-option=on&postcode=e16an&page=4

Last edited:
Permabanned
That statement is said for any manufacture why do BMW and Audi do well-selling warranties on older cars? That's a bold statement. Don't discount the Giulia on based on a Top Gear episode from 2006. The Giulia is a brilliant car even in Diesel form, and reliable.

And the Guilia isn't in the same class as a Golf, I only chipped in due to it been mentioned and I have 2 cars mentioned, although a Skoda but the VRS a diesel variant, this is miles off a Giulia. Sure it may get 15mpg more but it's rattly and unrefined.

Edit// Should also add the last time I looked these were under £20k Seems they have jumped in price. £23k seems average now for the 2.0T Veloce :eek:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109167449039?aggregatedTrim=vRS&year-to=2021&model=OCTAVIA&price-from=500&sort=relevance&radius=1500&make=SKODA&postcode=e16an&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Diesel&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2017&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109177482786?aggregatedTrim=TD&sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&make=ALFA ROMEO&model=GIULIA&price-from=500&radius=1500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&postcode=e16an&page=4
An extended warranty is just an insurance policy against potential issues that may arrive. They sell them because they know that across the board they will make lots of money on the thousands and thousands that will never claim for anything. Standard practice across lots of industries.

It’s a nice looking car and I’m sure your happy with it but personally I wouldn’t go for one.

Associate
An extended warranty is just an insurance policy against potential issues that may arrive. They sell them because they know that across the board they will make lots of money on the thousands and thousands that will never claim for anything. Standard practice across lots of industries.

It’s a nice looking car and I’m sure your happy with it but personally I wouldn’t go for one.

Tell that to the folk on here who buy used BMWs then insist on approved used and BMW warranty. They wouldn't if they didn't feel something would go wrong, same as the Alfa buy a well looked after example and it will be fine. It's no Toyota but neither is VW. My Skoda has been no more reliable than the Giulia.

Have you owned any Alfa car? Have you driven or been in the Giulia?

My dad personally would pick a Brand new 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa rather than buying my used 2017 Giulia. We are all different but:

Started lookiing at some of the suggerstions.

Alfa Romeo Guilia
Civic 1.5T (not sure I like the rear)
Golf

That is a very strange list, the Civic is a hatchback and generic, the Golf is well a Golf, and the Giulia is a BMW/Audi competitor.

Permabanned
Tell that to the folk on here who buy used BMWs then insist on approved used and BMW warranty. They wouldn't if they didn't feel something would go wrong, same as the Alfa buy a well looked after example and it will be fine. It's no Toyota but neither is VW. My Skoda has been no more reliable than the Giulia.

Have you owned any Alfa car? Have you driven or been in the Giulia?

My dad personally would pick a Brand new 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa rather than buying my used 2017 Giulia. We are all different but:
Probably because BMWs cost lots to repair and no one wants a potential big bill.

Look nothing is guaranteed with cars I had a Skoda Fabia VRS, I brought it at 9 years old 110,000 miles on the clock and drove it everyday for 6 years put 50-60,000 miles on it and never had an issue apart from alternator belt shredding. Others have had issues just the way it goes.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok guys.

Sensible pills have been taken and the Scirocco is off the table.

As has been stated it's based on the Mk5 Golf and for £20k I can buy a Mk7 Golf 1.5 TSI petrol, enjoy similar performance and economy to a Scirocco 2.0 litre diesel. It would also be more practical for my wife's occasional child transportation needs. I could probably get a 2020 Golf with a warranty for the same money.

What else does 17-20k buy me in the 8 seconds 0-60, 35-45 mpg, 4-5 seats and decent equipment inside and out.

Caporegime
Ok guys.

Sensible pills have been taken and the Scirocco is off the table.

As has been stated it's based on the Mk5 Golf and for £20k I can buy a Mk7 Golf 1.5 TSI petrol, enjoy similar performance and economy to a Scirocco 2.0 litre diesel. It would also be more practical for my wife's occasional child transportation needs. I could probably get a 2020 Golf with a warranty for the same money.

What else does 17-20k buy me in the 8 seconds 0-60, 35-45 mpg, 4-5 seats and decent equipment inside and out.

BMW 135i/140i ? It will do 0-60 in 5 seconds and can probably hit 35mpg if you don't do pure city driving.

Soldato
That's a nice looking car inside and out. Liking the specs too. Ticks all the boxes.
I loved mine. Remote start with heat/cooling too :cool:

Plenty of poke if you get the 25t/250hp version.

Just make sure you get one where the rear seats fold flat (the only reason I sold mine :cry:).

Associate
Probably because BMWs cost lots to repair and no one wants a potential big bill.

Look nothing is guaranteed with cars I had a Skoda Fabia VRS, I brought it at 9 years old 110,000 miles on the clock and drove it everyday for 6 years put 50-60,000 miles on it and never had an issue apart from alternator belt shredding. Others have had issues just the way it goes.

Yes but mentioned you wouldn't trust a used Alfa? It is no different from a Used BMW. Alfa do Approved used and these are no different just to discount a car just because you have an image of a 10 year old Mito having electrical issues. The Giulia is a perfectly good reliable car.

I just found it strange to be looking at a Civic then a Giuia.

The golf is a perfect car, I would lean towards the VRS (2.0TSI) you will find it's bigger and offers more room inside/boot space than the Golf. The only problem is it's a Skoda and for some people they cant look past the badge.

Permabanned
Yes but mentioned you wouldn't trust a used Alfa? It is no different from a Used BMW. Alfa do Approved used and these are no different just to discount a car just because you have an image of a 10 year old Mito having electrical issues. The Giulia is a perfectly good reliable car.

I just found it strange to be looking at a Civic then a Giuia.

The golf is a perfect car, I would lean towards the VRS (2.0TSI) you will find it's bigger and offers more room inside/boot space than the Golf. The only problem is it's a Skoda and for some people they cant look past the badge.
Mate I’m not concerned about BMW’s anymore than I am about Alfa’s, neither brand do it for me you’re the one who brought it up.

Like I said they have a bad rep wether that is still relevant today I’m not sure but I still wouldn’t touch one.

Back
Top Bottom