Thinking of buy a VW Scirocco

Associate
Mate I’m not concerned about BMW’s anymore than I am about Alfa’s, neither brand do it for me you’re the one who brought it up.

Like I said they have a bad rep wether that is still relevant today I’m not sure but I still wouldn’t touch one.

Post #64 its clearly visible that the OP mentioned a Guila, I gave my opinion and noted reputation you chimed in with

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the op is looking for a drivers car as such , at least he wouldn’t be looking at a scirocco if that was the case,

If you have warranty then an Alfa is a valid choice but I wouldn’t trust a second hand one much.

I also mentioned I have a 2018 VRS which shares the same platform MQB as a Golf, the car he is interested in buying? Again I noted the Guilia is better in every way. If you need MPG get the diesel, not really sure why as most if not all diesel in this class are a rattle fest. if you want cheap motoring buy the Civic or Golf,

Man of Honour
OP
After looking at the Jaguar XE recommendation, I started looking at Mercedes C class and BMW 3 series. You can certainly get a lot of car for £20k, especially when you compare to similarly priced Golfs they may just be a few years younger at best.

Soldato
Maybe have a look at a VW Arteon? I haven't seen many about but they're well specced and a 2017/8 goes for around £18-20k (they were cheaper than this before the prices went nuts).

arteon is a good shout actually - needs to be Rline trim and with one of the bigger petrol engines - some were quite gutless

Soldato
A 2017 Mk7.5 (aka facelift) Golf GTI would be what I would look. A fun, good looking car that isn't too serious but has a bit of poke, is very reasonable to run and comes with some modern mod-cons.

Soldato
A 2017 Mk7.5 (aka facelift) Golf GTI would be what I would look. A fun, good looking car that isn't too serious but has a bit of poke, is very reasonable to run and comes with some modern mod-cons.

a very safe and perfectly fine and reasonable suggestion this

Soldato

Would do well to get into one of these for 20k as I’m trying to do exactly that. One with fairly low mileage anyway.

Soldato
Nothing illustrates how silly the car market is more than it being difficult to buy a 4 year old Golf for £20,000.

100% Agree - It’s possible for 20k but they are usually Manual and high miles, for an Automatic and under 50k miles it’s £22/23,00 atleast right now.

I’m being offered by WBAC £19,500 for my 2017 MK7.5 GTD

£19,250 by VW

£20,250 / £21,500 Available Car / Cazoo etc.

Man of Honour
OP
Nothing illustrates how silly the car market is more than it being difficult to buy a 4 year old Golf for £20,000.

Which is why after someone suggested the Jaguar XE, which ticked most, if not all of the boxes. I then started looking a Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 Series and Audi A4's as well. All of which seem to make more sense than a Golf or a Scirrocco.

Either way I'm not doing anything until the new year at least and if the secondhand market is still mental, then I think I'll keep my money.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Associate
It crossed my mind to do the same as the OP, only I own a Scirocco (170 Diesel...) :p

If I had my time again, I would go for a petrol. Anyway, circumstances at the time, a great deal etc. My car is good for mileage (450-500 miles), comfortable, performance for everyday is good and held its value.

Thought about trading for an R version and like barmy, the spec was creeping up to £20K but then, all I pay at the moment is daily running.

I do get the argument of buying an ageing design, and why I have scrapped the idea. In defence of the Scirocco, its a good car and everyone I know, and even strangers at petrol stations have complimented - despite its age.

Back
Top Bottom