• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
This whole situation concerns me. I'm well and truly overdue a complete rebuild as I'm still rocking a pair of R290s in x-fire, the 2012 versions :eek:
The only thing I use my desktop for now is photo editing (80%) and AoE 2 DE (20%)
When I built my rig back then I went all in, about 3k back then so I have had my money's worth. If I'm looking at going top spec again, I'm probably looking at 3-4k again due to the inflated gfx pricing.
I'm seriously thinking of the new updated M1x mini Mac when they arrive as with the optimised performance they give for photo and video editing, I'm not sure I can justify that cost if I go down that route.
Will wait to see what Zen 4 pricing is like...

Associate
This whole situation concerns me. I'm well and truly overdue a complete rebuild as I'm still rocking a pair of R290s in x-fire, the 2012 versions :eek:
The only thing I use my desktop for now is photo editing (80%) and AoE 2 DE (20%)
When I built my rig back then I went all in, about 3k back then so I have had my money's worth. If I'm looking at going top spec again, I'm probably looking at 3-4k again due to the inflated gfx pricing.
I'm seriously thinking of the new updated M1x mini Mac when they arrive as with the optimised performance they give for photo and video editing, I'm not sure I can justify that cost if I go down that route.
Will wait to see what Zen 4 pricing is like...

Prebuilds aren't too bad currently given the current situation. Your 290s are far from worthless also when selling them now!

Soldato
Seriously, who would buy a 2021 gfx card now?
Asking out of curiousity...

I've just bought one. I've effectively waited a year (not by design) so I don't feel I rushed the decision. The card was on sale so technically I feel I saved some money, even though it's still above MSRP (man maths at its best). Plus I think my old card is still worth a few pounds, so that might lessen the blow.

I'm not going to change the rest of my system - which is 3 years old now - so I reckon I could eek a couple more years out, without spending any more. I think that's reasonable, it not like I've been blowing my cash on holidays or drinking over the last 18 months :D

Associate
For a full system upgrade pre-builts actually make sense now.

I have built a fair few basic PCs for customers over the past decade or so, and just a few gaming rigs. It's frustrating that I`ve had a couple of enquiries for gaming rigs recenty that I`ve had to turn away. I advised both potential customers to buy a pre-build, one of which actually did. I have to say that the PC I recommended to him is a pretty good machine. A lot of the components are the ones I would have used (the motherboard and AIO cooler weren't what I'd have chosen). Hopefully we'll get back to "normality", but in the meantime I'm out.

Soldato

Well according to MLD in that video he is saying Nvidia has put a halt on production so to keep prices high and when the refresh comes out they will have a higher MSRP basically setting up next gen to be priced way higher than this gen now. Normally don't like his made up rubbish but from what I'm seeing at retailers regarding stocks of cards it looks like it's happening and something that will be done so next gen moves up a tier or more in price.

He says AIBS and distributors have been told by Nvidia there will be very little stock soon, basically nothing till the refresh comes out with a nice new MSRP so they get the larger slice and not the AIBs,distributors or retailers.

This would probably only make sense if new refreshed Ampere cards were already in production, before a launch.

He's making it up, TSMC and Samsung can't produce enough viable GPU dies, and there's a shortage of VRAM still.

It's handy that everything MLID says is completely unverifiable...

Last edited:
Soldato
This would probably only make sense if new refreshed Ampere cards were already in production, before a launch.

He's making it up, TSMC and Samsung can't produce enough viable GPU dies, and there's a shortage of VRAM still.

It's handy that everything MLID says is completely unverifiable...

MLID has been spot on for the last 3 years. He has insider sources, so isnt `making it up`.

Associate
Seriously, who would buy a 2021 gfx card now?
Asking out of curiousity...

I recently got an Aorus 3080Ti to replace my 2070S. I got tried of waiting and I don't think prices are going to change any time. I've saved so much money working from home that the extra cost of the GPU has been completely offset so I'm not fussed. It's a crap time to be buying tech in general at the moment so if you want it, you may as well just buy it.

Soldato
Got to wonder when is it enough? Will there be a point where they will be satisfied with market prices or will they keep pushing upwards from now on?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Got to wonder when is it enough? Will there be a point where they will be satisfied with market prices or will they keep pushing upwards from now on?

they will stop when people stop paying. as long as people are willing (not happy) to pay silly prices no one will be doing deals or discounts.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Trouble is, as long as there's mining, there will be demand at seemingly any price.

miners, gamers, home workers, demand is from all over and the longer it goes on the more chance demand will keep going up as you will have people who have been waiting for a year or more looking for a new card as well as when cards go pop and the magic smoke escapes.

Soldato

Well according to MLD in that video he is saying Nvidia has put a halt on production so to keep prices high and when the refresh comes out they will have a higher MSRP basically setting up next gen to be priced way higher than this gen now. Normally don't like his made up rubbish but from what I'm seeing at retailers regarding stocks of cards it looks like it's happening and something that will be done so next gen moves up a tier or more in price.

He says AIBS and distributors have been told by Nvidia there will be very little stock soon, basically nothing till the refresh comes out with a nice new MSRP so they get the larger slice and not the AIBs,distributors or retailers.
Ampere and RDNA 2 are not being purchased by consumers as gaming cards. 1 year after release the 3070 is the highest card the steam hardware survey at position 11, beaten out by the 2070 super and barely edging the 2070. Followed next by 3060 in 22nd place (not counting laptops). The 970 is in 20th place. The 3080 is going toe to toe with the 1080ti :cry:.
They may have record sales but it ain't gamers doing the buying.

Do you know what, I want Nvidia to raise prices. Drive more people over to consoles. If we are lucky games devs will accommodate the migration of PC players to consoles *cough*Universal mouse and keyboard support*cough*. Lets see how well this goes for you Nvidia. A nice crash in sales and price correction is in order.

Man of Honour

Modern business is orientated around never being satisfied. That's a core value. The only thing that will stop them is a collapse of the market (either for discrete graphics cards completely or for discrete graphics cards at vastly inflated prices).

If console games offered mouse and keyboard support I would have moved over already. They now offer adequate performance and vastly better value for money. The only thing stopping me is the console market's almost fetishistic obsession with controllers. Which I can't use because I'm no longer young enough to compensate for the damage caused by things intrinsically unsuited to human physiology.

Back
Top Bottom