• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah I knew they were right up your street, which is why I mentioned them last week, when you needed a base line for your 6700k.

12700k certainly seems the sensible option if you can't/won't wait for the AMD Vcache parts.

I'd say Intel just feels more like "home" for me at the end of it all. Some people prefer Merc to BMW, others vice versa, like that :D

But you buy Rev 1 Alder lake. Issues ahoy

No issues have come to light in any review as of yet and loads have been published since 1PM :p

Let's be realistic now that everything is open, any updates to BIOS, drivers or software etc are going to be for further performance improvements on something that already appears to be very good.

Soldato
I'd say Intel just feels more like "home" for me at the end of it all. Some people prefer Merc to BMW, others vice versa, like that :D

No issues have come to light in any review as of yet and loads have been published since 1PM :p

Let's be realistic now that everything is open, any updates to BIOS, drivers or software etc are going to be for further performance improvements on something that already appears to be very good.

Lots of issues have come to light.

Associate
I haven't seen that many 12700k reviews. Would a Noctua NH-U12A air cooler be sufficient to cool it for gaming purposes?

The 12700 chips have 8 performance cores just like the 12900 chips so when they are fully utilized they will use a similar amount of power. A cpu is hardly ever fully stressed whilst gaming.

Whether it fits on some of the new Intel mobos is another matter.

Associate
I will upgrade to 64GB
you may be one person where DDR5 makes sense. Added capacity per stick is nice to have. And it is not really possible to achieve speeds I quoted above 32GB

Possibly the other use case is AMD GPU and resizable BAR.
In HWU review Watch dogs legion absolutely feasted on extra bandwidth that DDR5 provided.

Associate
The 12700 chips have 8 performance cores just like the 12900 chips so when they are fully utilized they will use a similar amount of power. A cpu is hardly ever fully stressed whilst gaming.

Whether it fits on some of the new Intel mobos is another matter.
They have considerably lower power limits out the box though.

Associate
Glad I brought A DDR4 board for my 12900KF for gaming mainly yes I know I could have gone for cheaper 12700K or even 12600K but I'm really interested in how these little cores will work in windows 11 so went top dog should have it under water by next week hopefully.

As to cost some of u might think not worth it but 0 cost after selling processor, board, and speaker and the £75 quid Asus rebate.

Associate
They have considerably lower power limits out the box though.

Thats according to Intels figures and they have in the past been laughably inaccurate.

According to Techpower up both the 12700 and 12900 use around 350w in Prime95 once power limits are removed. 8 P cores are 8 P cores and will use the same amount of energy at a given GHZ.

Soldato
Because intel told them not to compare the 5800x next to a 12600k..

Mate get the 5800x setup, forget the ADL setup. With your budget that's what I would be doing.

5800x is basically the same for gaming as a 5900x, so look at the reviews with the 5900x and that's basically what a 5800x gives in games. If you shop around you may even find a 5900x with your budget used of course.

Maybe worth asking on the MM wanted for a 5900x bundle or 5800x bundle without ram, see if anyone is selling up and going for ADL.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-12600k-alder-lake-12th-gen/
Owww I'm really scratching my head with this one.
It seemed the 12600k was faster than the AMD chips.
Ok so worked how much it will cost me after returning my current stuff.
12600kf + z690 gaming x ddr4 £140
5800x + b550 strix F £130
Not sure if either will be better then streaming and recording also

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
you may be one person where DDR5 makes sense. Added capacity per stick is nice to have. And it is not really possible to achieve speeds I quoted above 32GB

Possibly the other use case is AMD GPU and resizable BAR.
In HWU review Watch dogs legion absolutely feasted on extra bandwidth that DDR5 provided.

The near 32GB usage has only been a few times to be fair but still something I have pinned to my mind because if the same scenario crops up more and more often then yeah 64GB would make ideal sense. Seems the Z690 fully supports fast RAM at 128GB with all banks occupied though having read both Asus and Gigabyte's documentation. Z690 allows for this so probably not something that would have been stable for fast RAM previously.

Either way, if faster 32GB is better, and I can get some for reasonable £ after the new year then yep I will go for it. Makes sense to get the best out of the current system and my current RAM can be sold on. Or maybe I can OC my RAM and get some extra performance out of it without sacrificing stability too. Only one way to find out really.

Associate
Thats according to Intels figures and they have in the past been laughably inaccurate.

According to Techpower up both the 12700 and 12900 use around 350w in Prime95 once power limits are removed. 8 P cores are 8 P cores and will use the same amount of energy at a given GHZ.
You're agreeing with me? The motherboard sets the power limit.

Associate
Owww I'm really scratching my head with this one.
It seemed the 12600k was faster than the AMD chips.
Ok so worked how much it will cost me after returning my current stuff.
12600kf + z690 gaming x ddr4 £140
5800x + b550 strix F £130
Not sure if either will be better then streaming and recording also

Do you need something new now? Could you wait for Zen 3D and then see where prices are and decide then?

Back
Top Bottom