The English Channel

Soldato
"but why do they come here?!"

Real people with real lives and hopes and ambitions, fleeing difficult situations and hoping for better. And we question their morals, talk of them like animals, and feel little for their tragic passing.
Yes who can blame then France is bloody horrible!

Soldato
Regards the fixing of these countries that people migrate from.....

Eh many of them we bombed! Or we funded or armed the bombers bombing them. Personally I would not sit at home all day and be bombed I would try to leave.

In terms of migrant numbers we have lots of room we could easily take in 10%. A good 6 million! But if it happened over the course of a few months even a year it would press on our stretched resources.
Remember we live in one of the richest countries on earth yet we cannot afford police, hospitals or staff, and much more. But we can afford to have second jobs for our MPs and lots of expenses.

Country is a goldmine. I am surprised South Americans are not willing to take on the challenge of a larger voyage and reach the channel to the land of lucrative abundance.
Deluded.

Man of Honour
Whatever the rights or wrongs of migrants wanting to come here, Johnson has once again shown his utter incompetence and Macron is acting like a little baby throwing his toys out of his pram. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whatever the rights or wrongs of migrants wanting to come here, Johnson has once again shown his utter incompetence and Macron is acting like a little baby throwing his toys out of his pram. Disgraceful.
This is the sort of time where the chickens come home to roost after Johnson's petulant attitude toward EU leaders through his Brexit stewardship, and the big hit UK/French diplomacy took with the Aussie nuclear subs deal. Johnson is utter **** at international diplomacy

Soldato
Reading the bbc story about the poor woman, one of the problems seems to be the ones who have succeeded and are living comfortably in the UK.
Obviously she was keen to join her friends, the picture of life they gave must have been very different to that experienced as a Kurd in Northern Iraq.

On reflection, I think they need to be held in a civilised processing centre of some sort, before they get as far as trying to cross.

Permabanned
France doesn't seem too eager to stop them. Its almost like they are pulling half belarus at this point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't know and didn't say that :confused:

I know and I can only wonder why you're setting that sentence up as though I'd suggested otherwise :confused:

You were questioning Foxeyes views on this based on lack of migrants in Cornwall - what relevance does the lack of migrants in Cornwall have here? Why is this debate mostly "emotional hand-wringing" - what do you mean by that? What is the relevance of "actual experience" - can people not be concerned about this situation regardless?

Isn't most of this 'debate' based on emotional hand-wringing? I think it's the concept of the apparent unfairness or benefit or illegal nature of immigrants versus what we individually and actually experience as a result of immigration? I can't imagine Cornwall has many immigrants (other than the London overspill with 3 holiday homes each) so this is in some ways a showing of intellectual reckoning rather than actual experience. Or does everyone in this thread face daily hardship because other people have tried to improve their lives?

Soldato
Can someone explain to me why the political class in this country seem to act like we've had a great relationship with France?

France as attempted to stifle us at every opportunity, yet there seems to be this constant attempt in this country to paint France as an exemptional ally of ours. Since WW2 when we literally saved them and allowed their leader to broadcast resistance messages from London across France, they have tripped us up every step of the way.

The way Macron is acting is entirely inline with most other French leaders. It's not a surprise. I don't understand their hostility to us in the same way I don't understand the political classes admiration for them.

Back
Top Bottom