What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 5/10.

Watched Ten Rings last night, it's an enjoyable enough film but didn't really excite me as much as the other Marvel films. The martial arts scenes where nice enough, but other films with far smaller budgets have done them so much better. And for me the big fight at the end with the soul dragon/monster whatever it was, was so anticlimatic.

Assuming this is a setup for the next big story arc like Infinity War/Endgame I'm really not holding out much hope.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We went to watch King Richard, based on a true story of how Richard Williams coached two of his daughters to be Pro tennis players - Venus and Serena Williams.
We both very much enjoyed the film, Will Smith playing his role particularly well.
Perhaps even more enjoyable as the story was based on real events. The commitment and "focus" of Richard, along with his wife, was completely dedicated to the success of his daughters, but not at the cost of excluding other aspects of their development. Overall 9/10.

I think you might be taking the dramatisation of their lives and upbringing without as much salt as you should be. Like all these stories its been "embellished" and perhaps paints a different picture to the reality. I'm sure if you ask other people around at the time they will tell a slightly different tale.

"King Richard" was the executive producer on the film so will have had a fair say in what made the cut and what didn't and how things should be portrayed. The stories I have heard paint him to be a man with a god complex who very much did neglect many aspects of raising normal healthy children in his pursuit of glory.

Soldato
I think you might be taking the dramatisation of their lives and upbringing without as much salt as you should be. Like all these stories its been "embellished" and perhaps paints a different picture to the reality. I'm sure if you ask other people around at the time they will tell a slightly different tale.

"King Richard" was the executive producer on the film so will have had a fair say in what made the cut and what didn't and how things should be portrayed. The stories I have heard paint him to be a man with a god complex who very much did neglect many aspects of raising normal healthy children in his pursuit of glory.

Yup.................

what I didn't do is to include the thoughts around how controlling he was with his daughters, well family as a whole. He was on "rails" - meaning it was life as he knew it to be without many exceptions. Even his wife, at one point, told him not to mistake silence for agreement and also if it was just about their marriage, and not the girls, she would be long gone. There was also something about his sons (???) didn't quite understand that part.
Richard was not concerned about being "nice" or encouraging his daughters to think independently. He was devoted and loved them deeply, as long as they conformed to his own expectations.

Perhaps I should have added something like that within a spoiler, forgot about those tags. Didn't want to give too much away from those who have ot seen it, or like me who knew next to nothing about them.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yup.................

what I didn't do is to include the thoughts around how controlling he was with his daughters, well family as a whole. He was on "rails" - meaning it was life as he knew it to be without many exceptions. Even his wife, at one point, told him not to mistake silence for agreement and also if it was just about their marriage, and not the girls, she would be long gone. There was also something about his sons (???) didn't quite understand that part.
Richard was not concerned about being "nice" or encouraging his daughters to think independently. He was devoted and loved them deeply, as long as they conformed to his own expectations.

Perhaps I should have added something like that within a spoiler, forgot about those tags. Didn't want to give too much away from those who have ot seen it, or like me who knew next to nothing about them.

Yeah, I have heard a number of stories around him that make him sound like a less than heroic character. This is always the case in these things though. Any autobiographical film usually annoys one side of the coin.

Associate
3:10 to Yuma - 7/10

Love a western and this was good fun.

Apocalypse Now - ???/10

Caught this on BBC1 the other night. I think I loved it, but it's utterly mental.

Bat 21 - 7/10

Enjoyed it and had a more humane side than Apocalypse Now.

Soldato
Babyteeth (2019) - Just randomly selected something to watch.

Started off thinking I don't care about these characters, they appear so cliché and unlikeable. Ended the bloody thing in tears. If you like a low key romance, with a slow inevitable crawl towards tragedy then this is for you.

Back
Top Bottom