LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Looks like the 42" C2 is confirmed but it and the 48" C2 will not be using the brighter panel. I don't think it is an issue myself as my 55CX is plenty bright and a 42" would make way more sense on my desk :p

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Bit more info on the 42" LG

I believe Vincent also mention the Sony 42" A90K model which will have an adjustable 2 way stand, VRR from launch as mentioned here:

These LG legs and adjustable stand on the Sony appear to be done on purpose to allow the keyboard and mouse or other AV stuff to be put under it.

Its a bit of a disappointment no heatsinks on either the Sony 42" or LG 42", bit of an odd move given the burn in worry or lesser peak brightness. However Vincent did say the 42" LG will get the Evo panel.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Looks like the 42" C2 is confirmed but it and the 48" C2 will not be using the brighter panel. I don't think it is an issue myself as my 55CX is plenty bright and a 42" would make way more sense on my desk :p

Vincent said that new LG 42" OLED or C2 entire range will be getting the Evo panel mention here: https://youtu.be/4a1l6U3ajAY?t=90
But he does note the 42" and 48" May still have reduced peak brightness still.

I don't think there was a major difference with the brighter EVO panels anyhow, even Sony's brighter OLEDs were only found in Vivid mode I believe, which no one uses and even then ABL kicks in reducing any bright white scenes from risk of burn in.

Basically a lot of marketing hype talk from what I can understand!

Soldato
I read the 42 and 48 won't be getting the new panels somewhere this morning.

I really want a good 48 TV this year for ps5 and movies. Screen burn still puts me off, have to see if anyone does a QD at this size.

Associate
The reason why the leg stand stands concerns me is that it makes the tv unstable. And other reason, I clean my desk and pc once in 6 months or so and leg stands are a problem too.
If only someone could recommend me VESA desk mounts, that would be appreciated. No wallmounts because it's not possible for me.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I read the 42 and 48 won't be getting the new panels somewhere this morning.

I really want a good 48 TV this year for ps5 and movies. Screen burn still puts me off, have to see if anyone does a QD at this size.

Possible could be right, vincent could have been wrong on it or gone off wrong info possibly.

I did read that most of LGs OLEDs from Summer+ of 2021 were Evo anyhow, including the C1s. Americans got C1 Evos very early, but Europeans were getting the older stock. Not sure if the newer UK or Europe LG OLEDs were with Evo or not, id guess they will be though since LG was making the shift to use the new Manufacturing process.

Associate
You said you don't want to sit too close to an OLED like a LCD. So what's the difference between OLED and LCD at same size screen that creates the issue is all I am asking. Simples.
There is a big difference you just have to do your home work like me, I'm sure if you google it imo OLED are more sharper image, 100% colour fidelity 4/8k, so when watching/playing in Dolby vision or HDR you can get the best out of your TV I compare this with my old LCD 4K HDR TV, if you play games in HDR 100% oled light it's going to be very bright compare with LCD + HDR because of the independent lit 8.3 million pixels of OLED, LCD use a background light to display the image not the same as you know, of cause you can lower the OLED light in games also on the TV but if you lower it too much you lose the HDR effect I only play SD games so I don't care and watch Dolby vision with Netflix & Disney plus. The screen size is a debated topic
If you want to sit closer to an OLED @42/48/55inch your going to turning your head a lot everyone's eyesight is a little different :)

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is a big difference you just have to do your home work like me, I'm sure if you google it OLED vs LCD. OLED are more sharper image, best colours in 4/8k, so when watching/playing in Dolby vision or HDR you can get the best out of your TV, If you play games in HDR %100 oled light it's going to be very bright compare with LCD + HDR because of the independent lit 9.2 million pixels of OLED, LCD use a background light to display the image not the same as you know, of cause you can lower the OLED light in games also on the TV but if you lower it too much you lose the HDR effect I only play SD games and watch Dolby vision with Netflix & Disney plus. The screen size is a debated topic
If you want to sit closer to an OLED @42/48/55inch your going to turning your head a lot there is a distance calculator but if you feel it wrong that your choice:)
Just an FYI that link is only valid for TV’s. The author or staff member says as much in the comments.

Unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, our TV size-distance calculator isn’t really designed for monitors (or TVs as monitors) so I really can’t say what the idea distance would be in your case. As always, the general rule is that you don’t want to be too close and end up straining your neck because you have to constantly tilt or move your head to see different parts of the screen and the work you’re doing. The issue is that this can vary between users, so it’s one of those things where you’ll have to experiment and see what a good range is for you!

Link: https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/UpBWB8ETzECMqsG4/distance-on-monitors

Associate
Just an FYI that link is only valid for TV’s. The author or staff member says as much in the comments.
I didn't read the comments, my mistake so just use a TV guide for exsample at the time

Here is a TV/monitor I don't know if it's updated or not!
https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

Here is another
https://goodcalculators.com/tv-viewing-distance-calculator/

It gets confusing what's right in distance on 42inch like I said everyone's eyesight is a little different so best thing to do is get the 42 when it come out and see for yourself what's best for you:)

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I didn't read the comments, my mistake so just use a TV guide for exsample at the time

Here is a TV/monitor
https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator
Yeah, I sit much much closer to my monitor than what that guide recommends. Been like this for decades. I sit around 30-40cm away from my eyes to my 27” monitor. So I am thinking adding another 20-30cm to that I will be fine. But each to their own. Some sit around 4 foot away from their small monitors for example, to me that is missing out on all the extra PPI. Might as well not bother with 4K at that point.

Associate
Yeah, I sit much much closer to my monitor than what that guide recommends. Been like this for decades. I sit around 30-40cm away from my eyes to my 27” monitor. So I am thinking adding another 20-30cm to that I will be fine. But each to their own. Some sit around 4 foot away from their small monitors for example, to me that is missing out on all the extra PPI. Might as well not bother with 4K at that point.

You will know more at CES show January 5, 2022 what's coming soon.:) I wear distance glasses so I sit far back from my 55CX the PPI is 82 but because it a bigger screen on the desk I change text in windows from normal 300% to 150

4K is very nice but you need the hardware to run it my system is old so I am wait for the cards to drop in price, OLEDs also have problems with static in games/work monitor some people get burn-in some don't it a panel lottery debated topic but when you spend over 1k for TV you want it to last a few years not change it every year unless you got the extra money to spend.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You will know more at CES show January 5, 2022 what's coming soon.:) I wear distance glasses so I sit far back from my 55CX the PPI is 82 but because it a bigger screen on the desk I change text in windows from normal 300% to 150

4K is very nice but you need the hardware to run it my system is old so I am wait for the cards to drop in price, OLEDs also have problems with static in games/work monitor some people get burn-in some don't it a panel lottery debated topic but when you spend over 1k for TV you want it to last a few years not change it every year unless you got the extra money to spend.
Based on reports for CX and C1 I am not seeing many burn in issues. The percentage is very small. Happy to take the risk as it is by far the best image quality one can get. Normal monitors just don't compare.

Have an OLED in the living room the past couple of years myself. It is just on another level.

I am not one to waste money, but I don't have expensive hobbies (relative to some here with cars, photography etc) so getting an OLED is fine. As long as it does not burn in badly then I would likely use it for 5 years at least until micro led is a thing and costs £500 or so. Then can move the OLED to another room :)

Still using my 1080p LG plasma in my bedroom. Still very happy with it. It is wall mounted on a chimney breast with wardrobes on each side covered by sliding mirrors. It is cool sliding the mirrors open to reveal a TV. Shame no controller for it, need to slide it open manually :p

Associate
My mistake:)

In the CES media news The New LG G2 OLED Evo will improved brightness and heat dissipation for more impressive images with a lower risk of burn-in, UK price is unknown And the new 42-inch LG C2 also A2 and B2 OLED TVs for users with less money available.

You can read it here
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/ces-2022#section-ces-2022-lg

Based on reports for CX and C1 I am not seeing many burn in issues. The percentage is very small.
That's because of the anti burn-in features in the C9/CX/C1

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hopefully TNA will get both!! :p

Then tell us which one is best to game on.
No chance. 42” LG all the way.

Edit: I just watch the LTT video. Samsung stuff does look interesting, but my guess is they will cost silly money’s. I don’t game in a bright room so would not benefit that much anyway.

Let’s wait and see reviews (there maybe drawbacks vs WOLED) and price. But I still think I will end up with the LG 42”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom