• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Maybe the title should read "is 8gb VRAM enough for a 3070 AIB model costing £800+" because a lot of people seem to see the AIB price as the bigger issue rather than the actual VRAM in which I feel 8gb is acceptable for a card costing £469 and the other option of 16gb would have likely pushed the MSRP price above £600 yet with no real fps benefit in the majority of games.

Some of what you say I understand and have no issue with. The cost addition you snuck in just makes it worse, not any better. I don't think these threads offer any value because there are so many already and we only need one for each tier it affects. The issue being in them threads the debate is drowned out by nonsense and constant I must win the internet in my own head arguments. The plain easy to digest talking point is which games eek this issue out; not a case of "the card does not suffer from this whatsoever" which a handful try and preach. It has changed from - show me which game, to now but..but. When the excuses run out, expect some slurs or insults.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
DLSS is not a selling point for me, if it can't do it native its not good enough, "image quality down scalers" are not a substitute for weak GPU's. Not to me.
Ah shame, as I find the latest DLSS to be very acceptable. It is the difference between having RT on and off. And let's be honest RT improves graphics overall a lot more than DLSS downgrades it in quite a few games.

Also games like Resident Evil 2 remake and village will be getting it soon and those games even at 4K are a jaggy mess so you need to use TAA which is worse than DLSS.

I was with you on not like DLSS and this kind of tech when it came out many years ago, but latest versions of them have come a long way imo.

Soldato
Whilst FE cards might be avaialble for a 30 second window, every 6 weeks to 2 months, 99.9999% of users wont install an app on there phone or sit on a pc with the hope they are quick enough to get one. That isnt a realistic way to buy anything, ever. Which is the opinion of the tech tubers - that FE cards (about 10 of them) are mythical.

Soldato
Caporegime
This was from a couple of years back and we know component prices have increased since then it's not just the ram chips though it's also the board complexity.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gddr6-significantly-more-expensive-than-gddr5.html

This is probably why nvidia never released a 3060 FE model as it just wasn't cost effective to manufacture even in house.

Its just 2GB memory IC's vs 1GB, the chips are more expensive but there is no change to the board, you can literally take the 1GB IC's off and put 2GB IC's on. There is nothing like a $170 difference here, If the 1GB IC's cost $10 each then the 2GB ones are no more than $15, so $40 more.

If AMD can put 2GB memory IC's on their GPU's then so can Nvidia.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Its just 2GB memory IC's vs 1GB, the chips are more expensive but there is no change to the board, you can literally take the 1GB IC's off and put 2GB IC's on. There is nothing like a $170 difference here, If the 1GB IC's cost $10 each then the 2GB ones are no more than $15, so $40 more.

If AMD can put 2GB memory IC's on their GPU's then so can Nvidia.
Agreed. Can’t see Nvidia not going 16gb for the RTX 4070.

Soldato
Agreed. Can’t see Nvidia not going 16gb for the RTX 4070.
With the use of a large cache they may go down a similar route to AMD with 12gb and a 192bit bus on the 60/70 with the 4080 / ti seeing 16gb on a 256 bus while the 4090 could either have 32gb on a 256 or 24gb again on a 384 to offer a bit more segmentation this time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
With the use of a large cache they may go down a similar route to AMD with 12gb and a 192bit bus on the 60/70 with the 4080 / ti seeing 16gb on a 256 bus while the 4090 could either have 32gb on a 256 or 24gb again on a 384 to offer a bit more segmentation this time.
I hope not. But it could be. Might just get a 4080 then.

Caporegime
The 3060 has a 192Bit Bus.... and 2GB Memory IC's. because the alternative would have been a 6GB card and Nvidia learned from the 2060 people didn't like that. I don't know why 6GB on the 2060 was bad but 8GB on the 3070 is fine....

Caporegime
*grabs popcorn*

:cry:

@TNA you better upgrade ;) :p

This game looks pretty RT intensive..... wonder if the 6900xt will buckle worse than the 3070 ;) :p :D

Was looking forward to it from initial trailers but looks a bit **** gameplay wise.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
*grabs popcorn*

:cry:

@TNA you better upgrade ;) :p

This game looks pretty RT intensive..... wonder if the 6900xt will buckle worse than the 3070 ;) :p :D

Was looking forward to it from initial trailers but looks a bit **** gameplay wise.
I am downgrading my resolution so that's kind of like a upgrade in a way. Lol

Permabanned
With one of my fave franchises ... no it's not enough.

1440P and 1080P in RE2 with RT on and best settings is too much for 8GB Vram 3070 on latest driver, I originally did think this was an FSR issue since I enabled FSR when this last happened.

And this is with the card overclocked boosting above stock limits.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
With one of my fave franchises ... no it's not enough.

1440P and 1080P in RE2 with RT on and best settings is too much for 8GB Vram 3070 on latest driver, I originally did think this was an FSR issue since I enabled FSR when this last happened.

And this is with the card overclocked boosting above stock limits.

People tried to tell you, 8gb is not enough. But you was not having it :p:cry::D

Back
Top Bottom