LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
Received the replacement today and it’s even worse than the first one which tells me they are mostly like that as it’s in the same spot.
Already seen red tint on the left side as I was setting it up.
It’s easily visible on 1% grey but I can see is literally everywhere whenever there is near black content displayed.
It’s also visible on white colours as green tint.
For me that’s unacceptable on a display that expensive so will be returning it for a refund and probably wait for 4K QD Oled gaming monitors.
Will give it maybe a couple of days and if it doesn’t improve it’s going back.

4-BD11-C35-5-D0-D-4-F95-A561-86-BC2-ED6-A176.jpg

4-CA85-F55-C398-442-F-94-FD-C2-F9-AFA07-E03.jpg

Really shocking to see £1400 TV this size being anything other than a superb screen.

They certainly dont spend the money on the plasticy bodys these days

Associate
To be honest the TV aspects make it a non issue. Sure can be finicky in menus using remote Vs say joystick/ buttons most monitors have to config and setup initially. Also if your you have things very bright and oled lighting cranked up may see a reduction in brightness when abl kicks when things go white in larger windows. However if you have the brightness more reasonable for a desk distance, ABL does not seem as strong as it would dim close to the normal level you view things at anyways. The one thing is the screen dimming when left on pages for too long, was paying more attention this morning to it and that does happen. Bolding this as it can be a big deal for some. Oddly not noticed in one white documents, more when reading forums :cry: You do not notice it initially, but if you then move the entire window it becomes apparent as it brightens up again.

For size love it. For context been using a 3440x1440 panel since 2014 @ 34" (LG then ASUS with higher refresh rates / G-Sync added along the way) and find the 42" much more preferable for work use and play (though no fair on latter given prior panels have not been OLED). I do not think you will go wrong either way tbh, the Alianware looks amazing too, depends what your after really. For me having used 3440 x 1440 @34" for 3/4 of a decade, wanted something different.

I was going to ask the same question but already answered. My only concern is while thinking of picking up a c2 is burn in. When working from home I have many spreadsheets open along with Teams, outlook etc.

I did also think about a Samsung G9 but when I saw the C1/C2 they seem like a better fit for me working and playing. Only thing I cant quite get my head around is how you use the screen real estate. I currently have 2 1080p screens which is far less then a 42 inch 4k.

Associate
Pointing thermal camera at it shows that the panel is actually colder in that spot.
Same area on the back is wormer however.

08-CA9066-9-AB2-49-B6-889-C-AA8-C5-E67-F18-F.jpg

D0-FC8-BC5-AB9-A-4-EF2-A01-B-451-DAAE07-F2-F.jpg

Soldato
Pink/green tint is inherent to Oled screens and is a lottery how much any panel will be affected by it. My CX has very subtle pink tint to the far right, I can live with it as it's not really noticeable in content.

z10m's is fairly bad and I would return it.

Associate
The 2 42C2s that I tested now are worse than my other 2 55” oled TVs and apparently smaller screens are more likely to be uniform well not in this case.
Contacted RS and they said they took one out the box them self and found none of the issues I have. Offered me another swap or refund.
At this point I will rather go for a refund and not waste any more of their time and money opening all those TVs and returning them.
It’s a real shame as I really wanted 4K oled screen as my monitor for a very long time now but can’t live with those imperfections. Hopefully Samsungs oleds will be better when they release smaller sizes.

Associate
The 2 42C2s that I tested now are worse than my other 2 55” oled TVs and apparently smaller screens are more likely to be uniform well not in this case.
Contacted RS and they said they took one out the box them self and found none of the issues I have. Offered me another swap or refund.
At this point I will rather go for a refund and not waste any more of their time and money opening all those TVs and returning them.
It’s a real shame as I really wanted 4K oled screen as my monitor for a very long time now but can’t live with those imperfections. Hopefully Samsungs oleds will be better when they release smaller sizes.

Wonder if they'd be willing to send you the one they took out of the box? At least then you'd know the one you're getting doesn't have this issue.

Incidentally I've always wanted a retailer/some kind of service that checks monitors before sending for these kinds of defects. Would gladly pay a bit more to cover the "open-box" cost if it had an issue to be sure I'd not get a screen with backlight bleed/dead pixels/colour issues like these.

Associate
Wonder if they'd be willing to send you the one they took out of the box? At least then you'd know the one you're getting doesn't have this issue.
Oh yea that’s what they said that I can have the one they just checked. The problem is when I asked if I could see it myself powered on in their store they told me it wasn’t possible because bla bla bla…
I don’t really trust another person who tells me their tv is flawless especially when they are a salesman.

Associate
Oh yea that’s what they said that I can have the one they just checked. The problem is when I asked if I could see it myself powered on in their store they told me it wasn’t possible because bla bla bla…
I don’t really trust another person who tells me their tv is flawless especially when they are a salesman.

Ah that's a shame, did you mean in person or they not even willing to send photos?

But yeah you're just having to trust that they checked it properly. Would be much more inclined to trust RS than say a Curries/Mr lewis employee saying it, but still a risk. Personally think it'd be worth it for one final try, but would definitely understand not wanting to especially after 2 duds.

Sucks that companies like LG won't just do proper QC on their products. I guess they'd just rather chance it that the customer doesn't spot the issue.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
just display something black and up black level in settings until it starts getting grey (around 60-65)

Here are my pics with 100% black video via plex:

normal 50% black in dark room
default-50-black.jpg

with menu:
default-50-black-2.jpg

65% black
65-black-also.jpg

65% with menu
65-black.jpg

Vincents new LG G2 unboxing video

DSC-3671.jpg

It was a bit tricky to get the shots since my cameras phones ancient, some light sources on left but basically the black on 50% default you can barely see or make out my TV since its black and it merges with the dark black room, I think that is the way it should be at least it was with my CX.

Associate
I too am expecting a replacement today. Seems the tint problem is common and this thread has been really useful. I don't think any tint is really acceptable for PC work unless you use it just for gaming.

The TV however is stunning and brings games to life. The size is perfect (coming from a 38" ultrawide) and clarity in detail is brilliant. I have an older CX and the difference is substantial. Playing Destiny 2 is like a different game. Red Dead is almost photo realistic with the HDR. I was tempted by the Alienware OLED but for immersion the size and resolution I think it would be a downgrade having used this. You do however need a big desk as it feels huge. Goodness knows how anyone can use a 48" as a desktop monitor.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Fully understand it, I guess they can't run 100% black video off youtube and take a picture as proof? Might be taking the biscuit but maybe worth a long shot

Associate
Might be that I'm not used to OLED, but I found OLED 80 which is the default was best for me, can't say I've seen it wash out any details but I'm also in a fairly well lit room.

Associate
Wow that was quick!

I just saw this exact thing on a thread on AVForum, user had a couple of those bright spots. Said they ran the pixel refresher and they were gone.

Right will try that as the uniformity is the best out of the three. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom