Afghanistan - 20 years on

Soldato
Yeah but the US spent the rest of the Cold War preventing the emergence of democracy in a bunch of different nations, propping up dictators and tyrants, and overthrowing democratically elected leaders. So the fact that they played by the rules at the end of WWII doesn't mean much, particularly since they capped off that conflict with two of the greatest war crimes ever committed in human history.

Curious how you measure greatest war crimes number of deaths?

Soldato
The facts you have issues with
Was it the No WOMD ?

Why democracy ended in Afghanistan.
What caused the US to be involved in War in Iraq in the first place.

also (Last time it lead to a famine which spread millions of Irish around the world)
How long ago was that ?

When was the Famine? Or when were the Irish spread around the world.
There were multiple famines - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_famine_(disambiguation)
Irish Trend of net emigration on really stopped around the late 1990s.

Soldato
OP
The British army moved into NI in 1969. Provisional Irish Republican Army (PIRA) formed in 1969. Without making any judgement on either, when you have the army on the streets, and fortified bases, armored cars etc. Its not exactly a love parade.
NI was already part of the UK though, and the army was sent in as violence and civil disorder was already starting to become a problem. The IRA might not have been happy about it, but it's a bit of a tough situation for any state to find itself in. Given that the Unionist party had been doing pretty well at NI elections it seems a bit presumptuous to imply that rather than trying to bring order to the region the UK should have just made it independent.

Maybe deploying the army wasn't a good choice in hindsight (or maybe it was, who knows how things would have turned out had a different course been taken), but an 'invasion' and 'military occupation' implies that the place being occupied isn't part of that military's own country, or that some large majority of the population don't feel that the military is an arm of the state they want to live in.

Soldato
Why democracy ended in Afghanistan.
What caused the US to be involved in War in Iraq in the first place.

When was the Famine? Or when were the Irish spread around the world.
There were multiple famines - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_famine_(disambiguation)
Irish Trend of net emigration on really stopped around the late 1990s.

1. Ok why and what, IYO if you can tell me ?

2. if your going to go back 100s of years you will see much worse, Asia, Africa, Middle East etc. I'm talking about the last 50-70 years?

Soldato
... that some large majority of the population don't feel that the military represents them.

NI Population 1971 Catholics 93.87% What kicked it off was Civil rights protests.

At its peak in 1972, the combined British armed forces presence in Northern Ireland was some 27,000.. at more than 100 army bases
2010 UK troop numbers reached their peak with around 10,000 troops deployed across Afghanistan

Soldato
1. Ok why and what, IYO if you can tell me ?

2. if your going to go back 100s of years you will see much worse, Asia, Africa, Middle East etc. I'm talking about the last 50-70 years?

I think it would be educational for you if you did your own research.

I'm not going back 100's of years. I'm just saying it would folly to attack a country of which has so many connections with the US.
Not to mention the attacks were initiated from NI (UK) not Rep of Ireland in the first place.

Soldato
I think it would be educational for you if you did your own research.

I'm not going back 100's of years. I'm just saying it would folly to attack a country of which has so many connections with the US.
Not to mention the attacks were initiated from NI (UK) not Rep of Ireland in the first place.
Thank you for your option.

Soldato
NI Population 1971 Catholics 93.87% What kicked it off was Civil rights protests.
NI population has been majority protestant since its inception. Certainly not 94% catholic. Yes the British army were sent in initially to protect the Catholic minority during civil rights unrest. However in the best laid plans etc., ...

Soldato
Yeah but the US spent the rest of the Cold War preventing the emergence of democracy in a bunch of different nations, propping up dictators and tyrants, and overthrowing democratically elected leaders. So the fact that they played by the rules at the end of WWII doesn't mean much, particularly since they capped off that conflict with two of the greatest war crimes ever committed in human history.

Atomic weapons were horrific and we are lucky to have never seen them used since, if you're familiar with American war crimes presumably you're also familiar with the Japanese ones so I won't go into those; suffice to say I can understand why the Americans may have felt justified in their use at the time.

On the Cold War America spent that time fighting against the USSR and promoting free market democracy while fighting Communism. America, Britain and Western Democracy triumphed and we're all incredibly lucky for that outcome due to much of a wildly better idea it is than the ideas being promoted by the USSR and China at that time. Your existence is living proof of how successful we have been, you aren't starving presumably, you have access to Doctors, food, water, entertainment.. you don't queue for bread. You are basically living a Kingly existence compared to 99% of humans who have ever lived, and still you think America = bad.

Soldato
OP
It wasn't just protests was it though - tensions were already pretty high.

More importantly though, where on earth are you getting your numbers from? Catholics were around a third of the population in 1971, and only approaching 50% today!
https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/ni/religion.htm#1a

This is pretty off topic really, so I think I'll just leave it by saying I don't think the British army deploying in NI in 1969 counts as an invasion and military occupation, regardless of what ludicrous numbers you conjure up. If you disagree fine, but I don't think this is really going anywhere.

Soldato
NI population has been majority protestant since its inception. Certainly not 94% catholic. Yes the British army were sent in initially to protect the Catholic minority during civil rights unrest. However in the best laid plans etc., ...

Sorry pasted from the wrong chart. 1971 Census RC 36.8% Protestants 62.3%

Soldato
Atomic weapons were horrific and we are lucky to have never seen them used since, if you're familiar with American war crimes presumably you're also familiar with the Japanese ones so I won't go into those; suffice to say I can understand why the Americans may have felt justified in their use at the time.

On the Cold War America spent that time fighting against the USSR and promoting free market democracy while fighting Communism. America, Britain and Western Democracy triumphed and we're all incredibly lucky for that outcome due to much of a wildly better idea it is than the ideas being promoted by the USSR and China at that time. Your existence is living proof of how successful we have been, you aren't starving presumably, you have access to Doctors, food, water, entertainment.. you don't queue for bread. You are basically living a Kingly existence compared to 99% of humans who have ever lived, and still you think America = bad.
What America did was one of the worst thing humans can and have done but they must have felt it was the quickest way to end things, show power and not loose their own solder's, not to carry on with a normal army v army war, No one know what would have happened if they did not drop the bomb, better or worse.

Americans have always felt justified whatever they do, wrong or right. I also feel if most other country had as much power and control they would also feel justified and do the same some are trying to do it now.

I do agree
(You aren't starving presumably, you have access to Doctors, food, water, entertainment.. you don't queue for bread. You are basically living a Kingly existence compared to 99% of humans who have ever lived) but I don't think that's not down to the US or cold war that's how the west changed over the years thanks to real caring people who wanted to change things for the better, You can still see some of the past in politics.

if they feel threatened by another bully, they feel the need to step up so they can stay in control.

The US are no saints either, they are as bad as others sometimes better, sometimes worse.
They have their own type of corruption, they like to be controlling maybe not upfront or bad as others,
war games seem to be ongoing for them. unlike other nations the end one start of another (sometimes I think is this how the US earns money), controlling influencing others etc and that's just the surface of what we know.

We only know what we are told or read, made to believe things that are shared with the world or people in power want us to know, we only find out when things are leaked.

Its sound a lot like some other.

I feel/hope others will also chance for the better once they have long term peace and if they did not have so many problems (Corruption, meddling, finance etc) things can take time even without issues but that's just my thoughts.

Just take our own gov for example the promises they made during the elections and what's happening, what they did and are doing.
half of which we would not know if it was not leaked and even then they face no consequences and thats what they are doing to us not some other country, the US will be as bad

Soldato
It wasn't just protests was it though - tensions were already pretty high.

More importantly though, where on earth are you getting your numbers from? Catholics were around a third of the population in 1971, and only approaching 50% today!
https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/ni/religion.htm#1a

This is pretty off topic really, so I think I'll just leave it by saying I don't think the British army deploying in NI in 1969 counts as an invasion and military occupation, regardless of what ludicrous numbers you conjure up. If you disagree fine, but I don't think this is really going anywhere.

You can't really invade your own Country. So no.

I was just pointing out its bad analogy. Since there terrorist activity didn't come from Rep of Ireland but NI which is the UK.
That terrorist activity came from Civil unrest and inequality in NI (which was the UK).

Man of Honour
I'm not a fan of the "it was a different era" think but with the atomic bombs the full horror of them wasn't really realised in the way we understand it today until after their use.

Soldato
What America did was one of the worst thing humans can and have done ...

What are you comparing it with?

The two bombings killed between 129,000 and 226,000 people,

R. J. Rummel, a professor of political science at the University of Hawaii, estimates that between 1937 and 1945, the Japanese military murdered from nearly three to over ten million people, most likely six million Chinese, Indians, Koreans, Malaysians, Indonesians, Filipinos and Indochinese, among others, including European, American and Australian prisoners of war. According to Rummel, "This democide [i.e., death by government] was due to a morally bankrupt political and military strategy, military expediency and custom, and national culture."[3] According to Rummel, in China alone, from 1937 to 1945, approximately 3.9 million Chinese were killed, mostly civilians, as a direct result of the Japanese operations and a total of 10.2 million Chinese were killed in the course of the war.[65] The most infamous incident during this period was the Nanking Massacre of 1937–38, when, according to the findings of the International Military Tribunal for the Far East, the Japanese Army massacred as many as 260,000 civilians and prisoners of war, though some have placed the figure as high as 350,000.[66] The Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders has the death figure of 300,000 inscribed on its entrance.[67]

Soldato
I'm not a fan of the "it was a different era" think but with the atomic bombs the full horror of them wasn't really realised in the way we understand it today until after their use.

I think people sensationalize them. Not that they weren't horrific. But its usually framed out of context of other events with much larger loss of life.

....ecent estimate of Chinese civilian deaths, calculated from archival records, stands at 18 million....

Soldato
What are you comparing it with?
Did I say it was the worst ? NO

Dropping a atomic bomb to kill and destroying everything for miles, with all the we know about the long term effects, caused by the atomic bombing,
it was also not just one but 2.

Sixteen hours after the bomb was dropped, President Truman asked Japan to surrender. When they didn’t agree, the United States dropped another atomic bomb, this time on Nagasaki. The second bombing occurred just three days after the bombing of Hiroshima.

About half of the deaths occurred the first day when the bombs were detonated. The atomic bombs were detonated in the sky, a little over 1,500 feet above the ground.

This allowed for optimal destruction. The remaining deaths occurred over the next few months, and years. Many of these lives were taken due to burns, radiation, and cancer. https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/rationing-goods-us-wwii.html
it was not targeting solders but everything in a area miles. Civilians, children and animals with no thought at all lasting years. is that meant to be the good guys.
that was no better, in my option it could be worse it was just destruction without target and thought total annihilation.

is that meant to be the good guys ?

Was it good thing in you option then ??

Soldato
Did I say it was the worst ? NO

Dropping a atomic bomb to kill and destroying everything for miles, with all the we know about the long term effects, caused by the atomic bombing,
it was also not just one but 2.

it was not targeting solders but everything in a area miles. Civilians, children and animals with no thought at all lasting years. is that meant to be the good guys.
that was no better, in my option it could be worse it was just destruction without target and thought total annihilation.

is that meant to be the good guys ?

Was it good thing in you option then ??

Maybe you think the allies should not have fought the Japanese. How deaths would that have caused.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160811120353.htm

How many lives including civilians would have been lost in an invasion of Japan. Would Stalin have stopped if he thought the allies didn't have a atomic weapons.

It wasn't even the most destructive bombing raid on Japan.

The Bombing of Tokyo (東京大空襲, Tōkyōdaikūshū) was a series of firebombing air raids by the United States Army Air Force during the Pacific campaigns of World War II. Operation Meetinghouse, which was conducted on the night of 9–10 March 1945, is the single most destructive bombing raid in human history.[1] Of central Tokyo 16 square miles (41 km2; 10,000 acres) were destroyed, leaving an estimated 100,000 civilians dead

Of course they could have starved Japan out. Maybe you'd prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom