• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Permabanned
The reaction to that model is very positive, it overshadowed everything from the competing company. There is no doubt that they will sell every sample produced, good job AMD, improvisation is the key to success, if they can do that with 2 years old architecture, then Zen 4 will be a monster.

Associate
At 3440x1440 I'm leaning towards 5900X for my final AM4 upgrade. Up from my 3800X an extra four cores + IPC and solid clock boost for £359.99. It should be a solid all-rounder for the next couple of years.

Soldato
Of course. And if you are only gaming there are also better choices. You don't care about budget? Hit a 12900 / k / ks, a 2 slot mobo (tachyon / unify x / apex) a set of hynix ddr5 kits and clock to 7000c28, wave the 3d goodbye. You are budget oriented? Grab a 12700f and an el cheapo mobo for the price of the 5800x 3d alone.

Anyways, those would be my suggestions if someone asked me what to buy. In the future , if / when amd drops that disgusting price, I might even suggest the 3d. Sadly, after the reviews went live the prices of the 12700f started going up in my country lol

why would they go up doesnt make any sense ? also I think they can get away with the price is that there will be plenty currently on AM4 that can just drop in the chip

Caporegime
Of course. And if you are only gaming there are also better choices. You don't care about budget? Hit a 12900 / k / ks, a 2 slot mobo (tachyon / unify x / apex) a set of hynix ddr5 kits and clock to 7000c28, wave the 3d goodbye. You are budget oriented? Grab a 12700f and an el cheapo mobo for the price of the 5800x 3d alone.

Anyways, those would be my suggestions if someone asked me what to buy. In the future , if / when amd drops that disgusting price, I might even suggest the 3d. Sadly, after the reviews went live the prices of the 12700f started going up in my country lol
I have everything I need already. Dark Hero board, 3800 CL14 DDR4, 360 AIO. All I need is a CPU to replace my 5950. I want the fastest CPU in (most of) the games I play, at resolutions I use on a daily basis.

That's the 5800X3D according to TPU and multiple other tech reviews. At worst, and taking all sites results into the equation it's equal to or within 1% of the 12900KS in average over all resolutions/games combined.

Please tell me how it can makes sense for me to get anything other than a 5800X3D without spending more money? Bearing in mind you said that unless Alder is using DDR5 6400 memory its not a fair comparison. That same memory costs more than the 5800X3D itself, not factoring in the cost of the 12900 KS or the slower 12700 and the motherboard.

Associate

You really love Intel so much that youc annot even admit that a AMD cghip is actually good. It competes with 12900K and KS at a fraction of teh cost in games which is what it was designed for. Using your own metric on efficency i would think it is also considerably more efficent then those 2. Don't forget its clocked a lot lower also and still competes so it only looks good for any future implementations AMD may release

Permabanned
Some people forget this is the first implementation of that technology, beta testing in software term, and despite that, it stills wins against competition. It is very good hint of what this technology can do with more refining, and by time Zen 4 comes it will be more polished, and combined with Zen 4 IPC it will have very good lead in gaming. Lisa Su did mention that this implementation is single layer, in future there will be more, and future architectures will also be better optimized for it, i'm very optimistic about AMD future.

Soldato
You really love Intel so much that youc annot even admit that a AMD cghip is actually good. It competes with 12900K and KS at a fraction of teh cost in games which is what it was designed for. Using your own metric on efficency i would think it is also considerably more efficent then those 2. Don't forget its clocked a lot lower also and still competes so it only looks good for any future implementations AMD may release
Of course it's good. The price is just ridiculous. Comparing it to the 12900k is also ridiculous. It's like comparing the 12600k to the 5950x. Yeah okay, the 12600 beats it in gaming, who cares, the 5950x isn't even in the same ballpark and ***** all over the 12600k. Well, the 12900k also ***** all over the 5800x 3d. The most apt comparison is to the 12700f, both are locked with no IGPU. You sacrifice immense multithreading and single threading performance, upgradability and a huge asking price to get 5% fps at 720p. If it's worth it to you, go for it. For me it's not, and that's all there is to it.

Soldato
Well done AMD , going out on AM4 with a bang, on a 6 year old socket. The competition is certainly heating up (sic) , and AM5 is very soon . 2023 bodes for an interesting year; will be interesting if AMD start to actively split products between gaming centric and production centric - in the desktop space.

Caporegime
Well done AMD , going out on AM4 with a bang, on a 6 year old socket. The competition is certainly heating up (sic) , and AM5 is very soon . 2023 bodes for an interesting year; will be interesting if AMD start to actively split products between gaming centric and production centric - in the desktop space.

I'd quite like to see that, 5nm is about double the density, i think the amount of cache on the chip will go up anyway, maybe to 64MB per CCD, but if they also do a 7800X3D with 128MB of L3 its just going to take another leap in gaming performance.

People seem to like the 5800X3D, if it sells well its something that AMD could do to give their brand some kudos and recognition for doing something a bit different and worth while that people like.

Soldato
its interesting when they first showed demonstrations, they showed 3D V-Cache built upon a Ryzen 9 5900X 96 MB of cache per chiplet, or 192 MB total for a processor

Caporegime
its interesting when they first showed demonstrations, they showed 3D V-Cache built upon a Ryzen 9 5900X 96 MB of cache per chiplet, or 192 MB total for a processor

The Draw Call only accesses from one CCD at a time, so as far as the game is concerned its one set of cache, it doesn't really see the other CCD, the 5900X they demoed only had the 3D cache on one CCD.
This is also why there is no difference in gaming performance between a 5800X with 32MB of L3 and a 5900X with 64MB of L3, the latter is 32MB of L3 on two CCD's.
-------------

The thing about the cache, this is most useful when the engine cant branch predict, like unpredictable human players, IE Multiplayer games.

Associate
I have everything I need already. Dark Hero board, 3800 CL14 DDR4, 360 AIO. All I need is a CPU to replace my 5950. I want the fastest CPU in (most of) the games I play, at resolutions I use on a daily basis.

That's the 5800X3D according to TPU and multiple other tech reviews. At worst, and taking all sites results into the equation it's equal to or within 1% of the 12900KS in average over all resolutions/games combined.

Please tell me how it can makes sense for me to get anything other than a 5800X3D without spending more money? Bearing in mind you said that unless Alder is using DDR5 6400 memory its not a fair comparison. That same memory costs more than the 5800X3D itself, not factoring in the cost of the 12900 KS or the slower 12700 and the motherboard.

For you it’s a great upgrade I’d say. Clearly there’s an element of disposable income as you have high end components across the board which makes the decision easier. The out of pocket going from your 5950x sale towards a x3d should be low. For your use case it makes sense.

From a technical standpoint point, it’s a great product and nothing more needs to be said. I’ll leave the value debates to others who seemingly have an endless supply of keystrokes for it.

Soldato
AMD probably found that they couldn't get the clocks much above 4ghz on the 5900X3D with the extra cores and cache sucking down the power so opted to go with 8 cores and a single 96mb in the end as that meant an extra headroom to get the clocks up to 4.5ghz.

What I found interesting is just how much a difference the cache makes on the same core architecture when going from the 5500 at just 19mb to the standard 36mb and now 96mb.

This is also an area where Intel could really improve since the 12400 offers just 18mb cache yet is considerably faster than a 19mb 5500 so the cores of Intel are much better but are being held back by the cache.

Last edited:
Associate
What I found interesting is just how much a difference the cache makes on the same core architecture when going from the 5500 at just 19mb to the standard 36mb and now 96mb.

This is also an area where Intel could really improve since the 12400 offers just 18mb cache yet is considerably faster than a 19mb 5500 so the cores of Intel are much better but are being held back by the cache.

5500 is cezanne while the 5600 is vermeer- different archiutecture

Caporegime
Associate
The out of pocket going from your 5950x sale towards a x3d should be low. For your use case it makes sense.

I'm trying to do the same thing, intially I was hoping I'd actually be up by at least £100 but the way things are looking I might be having to pay a minimum of £100 to change. It's still a low cost "upgrade" for me but it's annoying that the prices of existing amd processors is dropping so fast.

The 5950x has had a price drop to £499 on OCUK for example. How much lower will it drop?!

Back
Top Bottom