• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Soldato
Well I got it installed. Toasty AF in Cinebench (89c) so I guess I'll have to start messing with PBO2. Massive increase in performance over the 3900X before, especially in Flightsim. Good job AMD.
Seems really well suited to simulation type games :). Not really give mine a proper workout yet but seems stable, after using the tool ltmatt posted, at a -30 all cores curve. Just a bummer that you have to apply the values manually after each boot :(

Soldato
Arrived this morning and installed. Did a quick p95 blend run and instantly hit 90c. I have a feeling this is due to the kyronaut paste I'm using being a few years old though, need to get some new better paste. I'll give it a couple of days since I noticed the same thing when I swapped to a 3900X, peak temps dropped considerably after a while. Idle temps at least looks normal, currently sitting at the low 40s just being on OcUK.

Quick benchmark runs and to my surprise a few multithreaded ones didn't lose too much score compared to the 3900X. Single score on the other hand is a nice healthy jump.

I had a quick look at the BIOS but I couldn't see where the offset option was, everything is laid out differently than when I had the 3900X. Although looking at the above comments, do I have to use a 3rd party tool?

Soldato
Arrived this morning and installed. Did a quick p95 blend run and instantly hit 90c. I have a feeling this is due to the kyronaut paste I'm using being a few years old though, need to get some new better paste. I'll give it a couple of days since I noticed the same thing when I swapped to a 3900X, peak temps dropped considerably after a while. Idle temps at least looks normal, currently sitting at the low 40s just being on OcUK.

Quick benchmark runs and to my surprise a few multithreaded ones didn't lose too much score compared to the 3900X. Single score on the other hand is a nice healthy jump.

I had a quick look at the BIOS but I couldn't see where the offset option was, everything is laid out differently than when I had the 3900X. Although looking at the above comments, do I have to use a 3rd party tool?
Yes, you have to the tool that ltmatt gave a link for a couple of pages back. Just set the negative offset for all the cores and apply. You'll have to do this on each boot. I just put a shortcut in shell:startup so it pops up on each boot to remind me :)

Soldato
Yes, you have to the tool that ltmatt gave a link for a couple of pages back. Just set the negative offset for all the cores and apply. You'll have to do this on each boot. I just put a shortcut in shell:startup so it pops up on each boot to remind me :)
Just to check, is it the one called PBO2 Tuner? And I'm guessing -20 is a good place to start?

Soldato

Expect this to hit 90C in Prime 95 no matter what cooling you use due to the limitations of its design. Cinebench R23 and gaming temperatures are a better gauge.

Some options have been removed at the behest of AMD to prevent overclocking as this CPU can't handle it due to the stacked cache (this will be improved in future implementations). You can undervolt if you want though (try it in games, Cinebench and other normal tasks first), others who actually have the chip can help you.

Soldato
What temperatures are people getting in normal gaming? AFAIK the 5800X3D doesn't get that hot, to me gaming is the most strenuous thing I run so if that's a decent temperature I'm good. I can't test it myself due to having a potato as a GPU atm :cry:

Soldato
What temperatures are people getting in normal gaming? AFAIK the 5800X3D doesn't get that hot, to me gaming is the most strenuous thing I run so if that's a decent temperature I'm good. I can't test it myself due to having a potato as a GPU atm :cry:
With -20 offset I'm seeing 55~65c in games, but I'm not playing anything serious.

Need to fiddle with my fan curves, I noticed sometimes the temp does spike to 70 odd with certain actions but it quickly drops down. Definitely an improvement in games though, mostly seeing less big dips with the ones I have an FPS cap on.

Soldato
With -20 offset I'm seeing 55~65c in games, but I'm not playing anything serious.

Need to fiddle with my fan curves, I noticed sometimes the temp does spike to 70 odd with certain actions but it quickly drops down. Definitely an improvement in games though, mostly seeing less big dips with the ones I have an FPS cap on.
That's what I wanted to hear. I'm after good performance without the heat. Add in a 7700XT when they are out and I reckon I'll have a great but cool system.

Associate
I tried -20 and it fluctuates a bit 4.3ghz 4.35ghz so I tried -30 which I have used before and all cores are rock solid on 4.45ghz and it drops the temp by 5c to 74c in R23. That gives me 14850 without doing anything else.

I went -30 and perf stayed the same at 15k but temps went sub 80. Think I will set that and forget it tbh. Don't have time to fine tune it.

Associate
Seems really well suited to simulation type games :). Not really give mine a proper workout yet but seems stable, after using the tool ltmatt posted, at a -30 all cores curve. Just a bummer that you have to apply the values manually after each boot :(

There is a command line version so you can write a batch file or powershell script that runs on login to set it for you.

Will edit this post in a bit with the script I have, can't do it now as my 1YO is asleep on me.

Code:
& 'C:\"path to folder"\PBO2 tuner.exe' -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30
this is for a PS1 file. Then you can just create a task in task scheduler to run it when you login to the PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a command line version so you can write a batch file or powershell script that runs on login to set it for you.

Will edit this post in a bit with the script I have, can't do it now as my 1YO is asleep on me.

Code:
& 'C:\"path to folder"\PBO2 tuner.exe' -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30 -30
this is for a PS1 file. Then you can just create a task in task scheduler to run it when you login to the PC.
Cheers, did not know there was a cli version. Added to taskschd.

Associate
unknown.png

First hour or so on any Zen platform. So far it's fine. It'll take a few days to learn the terminology but quick tweaking is ok. Good "before" picture I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom