**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah they finally changed their tune about it last winter… will be good to finally have it implemented.

FSR2.0 was only very recently announced as in the works (makes sense, AMD only revealed it recently!) and that’s great news for anyone without a recent Nvidia card… Will probably help quite a lot for consoles too

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Installed the Top Gun update. Just LOL. So their idea of a carrier landing is a straight in approach in daylight on a stationary carrier? I kind of get why they might want to include the “Forza Horizon” version for the Xbox crew, but where’s the more realistic versions?
Bearing in mind that they’ve had a good year, I would have been more impressed in they included both training and achievement options to cover daylight, poor visibility, night time etc

Caporegime
Installed the Top Gun update. Just LOL. So their idea of a carrier landing is a straight in approach in daylight on a stationary carrier? I kind of get why they might want to include the “Forza Horizon” version for the Xbox crew, but where’s the more realistic versions?
Bearing in mind that they’ve had a good year, I would have been more impressed in they included both training and achievement options to cover daylight, poor visibility, night time etc
It’s free, stop whinging :p

Associate
Indeed, if the challenge is too easy you can change the weather/time to make it harder ad infinitum. Unless the update includes moveable runways then the carrier will always be stationary.

Associate
It's all so very half-arsed. I keep moaning about the Hornet's incomprehensibly bad AB implementation and get Asobo apologists trying to explain why it somehow makes sense. The splash screen for the max performance takeoff training even suggests that the afterburner works conventionally, no mention of having to press a button to activate it.

Regardless of it being free to users, it still required development resources. Am sure most people would agree that there's no shortage of things needing more prority than this sort of fluff.

Soldato
As a DCS Hornet flyer I tried the MSFS hornet and very quickly decided it’s just not worth it, it’s so far behind DCS in every respect that even for free I’ll pass.

Soldato
Been back in MSFS the last few weeks....there's a massive wind farm being proposed up near my parents in Scotland, and they asked about hiring a visualisation company to see what it will look like, as all the developer have provided is 2d maps. I figured I'd give it a go, seeing as my day job isn't too far removed! Initially tried using GIS software, but couldn't get any sufficiently detailed height data for freebies. Scratched my head a bit, and thought that maybe using MSFS would be a decent option to try!

I've been buggering about a lot in Excel and have managed to take their limited data and convert it into the XML format MSFS uses for scenery mods, so have all of the turbine positions imported and spot on. Just trying to get the windmill scale correct.

The visualisations certainly look great with the visuals in MSFS :D
I got this finished, and produced a bunch of visualisations. I had to just eyeball the size of the turbines by laying one on it's side next to a bit of road I knew was 200m long :D

Main problem I had was the tree generation algorithm which just doesn't understand our deer-stripped landscape, and puts trees all over the heathered areas. In the highlands.

I bought a small mod https://secure.simmarket.com/taburet-uk-trees-msfs.phtml which replaces all the UK trees with data from the Ordnance Survey....it's miles better. Well worth it if you like your UK scenery to be a bit more accurate!

I'll share the plugin with the wind turbines (source and distribution) once I figure out how to package it :D

Soldato
It's all so very half-arsed. I keep moaning about the Hornet's incomprehensibly bad AB implementation and get Asobo apologists trying to explain why it somehow makes sense. The splash screen for the max performance takeoff training even suggests that the afterburner works conventionally, no mention of having to press a button to activate it.

Regardless of it being free to users, it still required development resources. Am sure most people would agree that there's no shortage of things needing more prority than this sort of fluff.
I mean, from my perspective it makes sense as my throttle doesn't have indents and I have a button free but I agree with the rest of what you say.

Associate
Excluding the airliners, what payware aircraft are considered “study level”?
It really depends on what level you want to study to.

For example, the PA28 Warrior II by JustFlight* really is a nice bit of kit and I would say is extremely accurate/as close as you're going to get to flying the real thing. (I fly them in the real world). Yes, there are one or two minor inaccuracies, but they're not showstoppers and most probably wouldn't even notice them. I have no experience of flying the Arrow/Turbo Arrow so can't vouch for their authenticity, but if the Warrior II is anything to go by, they won't be too far off the mark. So if flying low level, slow and sightseeing, takes your fancy, get the Warrior II. Or technically an airliner, but hardly automated, look at the JF BAe 146. That does keep you on your toes and will bite you if you let it!

*JustFlight and other developers releasing under the JF brand used to be awful. I'd get excited because a certain aircraft had been released (for FSX/P3D) and I'd always be disappointed. I have to say, JF really appear to have 'upped their game' for MSFS2020 products. I hope the same is true with the Boeing 757 they currently have in development.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with JustFlight. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Excluding the airliners, what payware aircraft are considered “study level”?
Possibly aren’t any but there are some aircraft that need a fair bit of attention and have far better flight models than the std ones. Just Flight planes are excellent and their arrows and Hawk are superb to fly and the Hawk is deeper than most non airliner planes.

The Cessna 310 by Milvs also should be put in this category. Also if you want to study then get behind any plane with a G1000 navigation system!!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thanks chaps.
Had another fly in the P51 that comes with the Reno pack. I can happily cold start and fly it. Had a spot of bother with the mixture and tank selection. The mixture can be controlled using an analogue axis, but the lever position doesn’t visually move in the aircraft regardless of the actual setting, unless you use a mouse.
Couldn’t get any of what might be the bindings for tank selection to work. Not impressed.

Had a read about the Warrior. Might buy one when I get back from our hols.

Back
Top Bottom