The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
Bit of a bump.

So I've been playing this game for the past week or so after nabbing it for £23 on PSN. I loved the first game when I first played it back in the day but I am massively struggling to maintain interest in this. I have to play it in short bursts or I just get bored. I have got to the Hospital and beaten up Nora and just hope things will improve as it seems more heavy on human enemies rather than infected. Ellie I just fine boring to play and I haven't controlled Abby for ages so right now I couldn't care less about her. I guess I am waiting for that kick in the face from a story perspective about why Abby has done what she has done.

It really doesn't help that the controls are trademark Naughty Dog ala uttery crap. For some reason Ellie keeps looking away as I pan around (the controller is fine), and that weapon select UI is a disaster.

I just have zero interest in any character really and I think I've been spoilt by Days Gone as a zombie basher.
I loved the first - posted on this forum numerous times about it, probably even in this thread; lost count of the number of times I have re-played it (must be in excess double digits now). But yes, I found that the second one was really hard to care about any of the protagonists this time around, Ellie just felt overly angry (even before Joel died), and Abby just felt like a bit of a pointless addition - the avenging daughter of some random NPC you killed....

We all know the blowback the second one got before release, and in some ways I can see why - the blatant misleading of fans being the biggest issue for me; the whole bait and switch tactics that made it seem like Joel would be in the entire game. I know there was all the talk about 'agendas' too - not sure I believe any of that, as there wasn't anything I recall being forced down your throat during the game. But I simply didn't care for anyone this time around - the magic had gone (due to losing Amy Hennig maybe?).

The game itself was fine - I'm a sucker for the whole end of the world type stuff, so to me, that was just a great big tick in the box. I didn't find any issues with the controls or UI that you mention; personal preference I guess. But the graphics were on point as usual for a ND title, as was the sound. I also quite like fighting the human adversaries, as they did at least try to outflank you etc, instead of running headlong into a biting fest, like the infected often do.

I'm looking forward the to re-remake to TLOU, but won't be buying it at anywhere near the price they are asking; if I need my fix, I'll just reinstall the remaster and have a bash on that.

Soldato
We all know the blowback the second one got before release, and in some ways I can see why - the blatant misleading of fans being the biggest issue for me; the whole bait and switch tactics that made it seem like Joel would be in the entire game. I know there was all the talk about 'agendas' too - not sure I believe any of that, as there wasn't anything I recall being forced down your throat during the game. But I simply didn't care for anyone this time around - the magic had gone (due to losing Amy Hennig maybe?).
You mention "blatant misleading" - can you give any examples of that? If you think back to all of the trailers we saw to the lead-up, sure, Joel was there but there was really nothing to indicate he was going to be a main protagonist or there for the long haul.
If anything was blatant, it was that once again the toxic gaming community put two and two together, got five and then decided it was the fault of the publisher they didn't get the game they expected/wanted.
As for the "backlash" on the characters in Part II - once again, toxic gamers - almost certainly the very same ones who sent death threats to people at Projekt Red when Cyberpunk got delayed the first time. That send death & rape threats every time something isn't exactly as they want it on any game.

Soldato
You mention "blatant misleading" - can you give any examples of that? If you think back to all of the trailers we saw to the lead-up, sure, Joel was there but there was really nothing to indicate he was going to be a main protagonist or there for the long haul.
If anything was blatant, it was that once again the toxic gaming community put two and two together, got five and then decided it was the fault of the publisher they didn't get the game they expected/wanted.
As for the "backlash" on the characters in Part II - once again, toxic gamers - almost certainly the very same ones who sent death threats to people at Projekt Red when Cyberpunk got delayed the first time. That send death & rape threats every time something isn't exactly as they want it on any game.
Wow! Ok, maybe step back from the keyboard and take a few breaths, jeez.

Well, from what I recall of the lead up to release, there was a clip where Joel rocked up and told Ellie about not letting her do it alone - that turned into a complete bait and switch, as that same bit at release was Jesse. The original trailer where Joel found Ellie amid the corpses of Fireflys (iirc), gave a feeling he would certainly be in it longer than he was - mind you, that bit was never even in the game.

I expect there are plenty of resources out there that highlight bits where Joel was teased as being in the game more, and why wouldn't fans of the first expect that - he was the main protagonist in the first, and the Devs even said something along the lines of "doing right by the fans" or some such.

You seem to love batting around the word "toxic", and sure there were some awful things said to people involved with the game (death threats too iirc) and there's no place for that - but I bet you also think fans of the franchise, who dare to criticise, are just as toxic - when they have some pretty valid points and are completely entitled to voice them.

Soldato
Finally finished it after god knows how many weeks. Not sure where to find my hours played.

The odd thing is, I love this kind of game but as you could see from my previous comments - I was just bored af throughout. I loved Ellie in the first game but they're all as bad as each other so I didn't care for anyone really. I actually enjoyed Abbie's portion of the story a lot more.

The Hospital level was absolutely pin point perfect, scary, tense and this is what I missed from the first game - being so damn scared. Spending 80% of the game just killing boring predictable humans whilst wandering around solo just wasn't for me. Visuals and Audio, not to mention level design are absolutely superb it must be said.

I am playing this out of time though. Maybe this was better back in 2020 as I've been spoilt by modern games.

Permabanned
Finally finished it after god knows how many weeks. Not sure where to find my hours played.

The odd thing is, I love this kind of game but as you could see from my previous comments - I was just bored af throughout. I loved Ellie in the first game but they're all as bad as each other so I didn't care for anyone really. I actually enjoyed Abbie's portion of the story a lot more.

The Hospital level was absolutely pin point perfect, scary, tense and this is what I missed from the first game - being so damn scared. Spending 80% of the game just killing boring predictable humans whilst wandering around solo just wasn't for me. Visuals and Audio, not to mention level design are absolutely superb it must be said.

I am playing this out of time though. Maybe this was better back in 2020 as I've been spoilt by modern games.

Careful. You cant say anything negative about tlou2 on this forum.

Soldato
Careful. You cant say anything negative about tlou2 on this forum.
It’s how you say it. Nothing wrong with @Kainz summary there at all.

Bang on about Abby by the way as she’s easily the strongest character in the game and I don’t mean her beefiness! I liked her more than Ellie and I didn’t think that would be possible from what happened at the start of the game.

Soldato
Thinking about things after having finished it. Ellie was perma angry because she never got closure with Joel regarding what happened at the end of the first game. The start of 2 where she is quite rude, though frustrated at Joel sets things in motion with her. Then at the end she gets closure.

I see that the Extra's menu has modifiers, which are already tempting me to replay. Infinite Ammo, crafting materials - shirley that equates to absolute carnage?!

I look forwards to the TV show now. Whenever that is scheduled to hit.

Soldato

It was only two years ago, I'm not sure anything has fundamentally changed in gaming during that time! :p

I loved both games, but the second is definitely the bleaker, darker and more drawn-out game and I can see why some view it more negatively for that than others. The story they chose for it is not the story I'd have picked but I think they largely did an incredible job with it and applaud ND for not just giving us another Joel and Ellie adventure.

Caporegime
Just started this, about 7 hours in and it’s feeling like a slog im not sure it’s one I’ll finish given it’s what, 25 hours long? Don’t think I can hack it.

TLOU was incredible with an incredible story that actually made you care about the characters. Not getting the same vibe off this one especially after the start.

Looks gorgeous mind.

Soldato
Just started this, about 7 hours in and it’s feeling like a slog im not sure it’s one I’ll finish given it’s what, 25 hours long? Don’t think I can hack it.

TLOU was incredible with an incredible story that actually made you care about the characters. Not getting the same vibe off this one especially after the start.

Looks gorgeous mind.
More like 35 hours. Stick with it you will or you won’t change your mind. Some don’t but I think you probably will.

Caporegime
OP

Looks gorgeous mind.

More like 35 hours. Stick with it you will or you won’t change your mind. Some don’t but I think you probably will.

35 hours? Did you explore every nook and cranny? I think my play through was about 26 hours, but I do agree with Mcbain, the game is a slog to get through but I’m glad I stuck it out as it’s one of those that if I left I completed I’d never go back to.

Soldato
35 hours? Did you explore every nook and cranny? I think my play through was about 26 hours, but I do agree with Mcbain, the game is a slog to get through but I’m glad I stuck it out as it’s one of those that if I left I completed I’d never go back to.
Yeah I 100% it so took my time grabbing everything.

I’ve finished it 3 times so yeah I quite like it!

Soldato
Yeah I 100% it so took my time grabbing everything.

I’ve finished it 3 times so yeah I quite like it!
I tried that on my second run through with the PS5 improvements, it’s great finding the hidden areas and discovering bits where you weren’t looking closely :)
Still seemed to miss a few parts for upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom