The Last of Us Part II

Caporegime
More like 35 hours. Stick with it you will or you won’t change your mind. Some don’t but I think you probably will.

I’m about 15 hours in now, had a good game session today.

I can see what they’re trying to do with your emotions with what happened to Joel then showing Abby and her crew in a positive light, but it does make you feel bad with the stuff you’re doing as Ellie. If that’s what they’re trying to do then it’s mission accomplished but can’t say I’m a fan of what they’ve done with the characters from the first game. Either way, making you feel anything suggests it’s a good job by the devs as with most games I don’t feel sadness, anger etc, so for that alone I applaud the devs.

I’ll say one thing, ND sure know how to make a game look good, it’s amazing this was ever a PS4 game even if it’s been bumped in res for the PS5. Looks as good as any PS5 game I’ve played except for maybe Tsushima. The combat is also probably the most visceral I’ve ever seen, I headshot a scar earlier and literally half his head was blown off and all the mush was in amongst his teeth :eek:

Soldato
I remember being prone underneath something and I shotgunned someone in the knees. Was nasty. They’ve definitely upped the brutality deliberately and also the consequences of that, which most games don’t even bother with.

Caporegime
Just finished the story, it was definitely feeling like a bit of a chore but then picked up with a nice change of pace. I'm glad I stuck with it, incredible rollercoaster of emotions and for that you have to say bravo. It's incredibly dark and depressing though, draining is a great way to describe it.

Graphics - 10/10, undoubtedly one of the best games visually I've ever played. Stunning attention to detail. As I said earlier, hard to believe this was a last gen game. ND are masters of creating an incredibly looking game

Audio - 10/10, soundtrack immense, gunshots, environmental, rain, the sounds of enemies gargling as you slit their throats. Incredible.

Gameplay - 10/10, I love the setting, the scavenging, the combat and I feel they nailed it here

Combat - 9/10, a bit spongy as far as aim is concerned but it's so brutal and satisfying. The guns themselves feel impactful, melee combat feels good etc.

Story - ? I'm conflicted on this, there was definitely some stuff in there that was unnecessary that added nothing imo and as I've said previously im not happy with what happened to certain characters. On the other hand I can see they had to do something to get you feeling the same way Ellie does and for that it hit home for me. It's an interesting concept, to play a character at the point you despise them but the way they make it work so that the ending makes sense is well done imo.

Overall - 10/10, have to say although it was dragging a bit I couldn't put it down after a certain point. I was angry, very angry at the beginning but that waned towards the end. I'm not happy with the direction or what happened to some characters, and didn't really feel the same attachment to Abby/Lev as I did Joel/Ellie in the first game but I can see what they were trying to achieve and in that respect it did it's job. An amazing experience of graphics, sound and gameplay, can't believe I waited this long to play it tbh.

Hard to see where they go from here really, I wasn't that interested in the remake of TLOU given I've played it countless times but seeing what they did with the visuals and audio on this game I think I'll have to play it. Along with, assumedly, improved controller feedback it could be amazing.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
The worst spongy part I hated was when the glass doors were chained. You were in a very confined area, they all came in from the top, runners and clickers dropped down then two Shamblers was it? It was a dark area with broken walls with the two women. I think this was the Abbey part? I had to keep laying the explosive traps. Run, run, lay, run.

Soldato
Yeah just wasn't sure if the ps4 disc would get the update as well, just need to decide if I buy the disc (£25) or go digital which is about £35, maybe it will be in a PS store sale soon though, so best to wait.

Yeah it gets the update it just runs it at 60fps. Was easily available under £10 a few weeks back but now the first has been Re Re released it’s gone up a bit.

Associate
Finally finished the PS5 remaster of Part One a week ago and now playing through Part Two (after having it sitting here nearly 2 years and for some reason not playing it), yes it's certainly a lot different to Part One but throughly enjoying it.

Got as far as the aquarium last night, looks like another long trek to get there ;)

Cheers all

V F

V F

Soldato
Started part 2, wow it’s good and very immersive.

Have a question, do clickers and any other infected for that matter see my flashlight?

Some saw me even when not moving. They started going mental when looking at them with the flashlight then started waving their arms franticly. Yet I was a good 12ft - 15ft away. I was on Survival difficulty at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom