• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
Anyone esle not even in the slightest bit interested in this round of cards? Maybe it's me and my age (late 40s) but this just looks like a joke from my viewpoint. Perhaps also that as I've got older, my gaming has decreased to a point where there is no time to game and I've lost interest. Plus there are no good games out that even slightly pique my interest these days :( I guess I'll stick to what GPU I have and just mosey on....
I kinda know where you are coming from, but over the lockdown(s) I got into SIM Racing in a big way. The wide screen and high fps makes driving so much more immersive. I wish I wasn't interested cos the prices offend me - I am going to have to do lots of mental gymnastics to convince myself that the cost is worth it. If it wasn's for the simming, I am sure I would be more than happy with my 3070.

This round of cards do seem to encourage a singular purpose to the upgrade (needing the power) - the casual magpie upgrade I am sure will be much harder to justify. As others have said, the 30xx still pack a punch in almost all titles available.

Last edited:
Soldato
How are they able to tell how many times it's been unplugged, and what kind of issues have they been finding to limit how many times we should do it? If it wasn't on the site I'd assume it was a joke.
As it turns out, the problem was reported by NVIDIA as a member of PCI-SIG, who were testing various prototype power cables and supplies. They observed that some cables were prone to showing hotspots or even melting due to severe bending or due to excess connection cycles (about 40).

Last edited:
Associate
As per my above post, the FE 4090 actually already boosts to 2850mhz by itself

That’s interesting as the boost clocks the FE on Nvidias product page tops out at 2520 MHz and 2230 MHz stock speed. On the overclockers site AIB cards top out at around 2600mhz. So the numbers on your posted image of 2800-2850mhz stock look off.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
It's rubbish without dlss though

I'm trying to look for numbers for rtx3000 but struggling cause everyone benches with dlss on. What I did find was at 1440p max settings on version 1.5 a 3090ti gets 90fps average with dlss on while the 4090 gets 170fps, but also remember the 4090 isn't on version 1.5, it's on an unreleased version which has upgraded ray tracing effects that from Nvidia's announcement graphs looks like it cut performance around 30% with the new RT effects on.

Associate
Would a 4080/4090 cost a lot to run given the current energy prices?
You can work it out as a calculation of the kWh your computer would use against the kWh energy price. I worked out my cost based on how much I would game a month to be about £25 a month but that was at the max energy price but it should be capped a bit cheaper now with the government help on energy costs.

Associate
I can neither confirm or deny I’m a similar age to you but I’m also not interested at all but I think it’s more down to the state of games these days than the price.

Hardly used my 3090 and I’m going to keep it for years at this rate. Prices are silly though.

I like to think my gaming time has decreased because of the above and not my age :D
Regardless of price, gpu upgrades each gen have definitely lost the magic over the years for me. Sad, but expected, diminishing returns. Sort of like taking steps to turning a square into a circle by doubling the sides. The first step being the most dramatic.
In the early days, upgrades were great in all aspects, and new features that made an obvious visual change were common. We lost crt's :D To mind, tessellation was one of the last stand out features. PhysX fizzled out, 3d vision too. Modern gfx are great, but visuals each gen aren't much different from the last, seemed to get stagnant, turning into fps and resolution chasing (the fps chasing being a result of poor motion handling with flat panels, 120fps is much more important on an lcd). Ray tracing is exciting now though, so got me back into gfx chasing. Just wish there were more games utilizing it.

Will I upgrade to 4090? Very likely, but I'm under no illusion and fully expect it to be my most lacklustre upgrade to date.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm trying to look for numbers for rtx3000 but struggling cause everyone benches with dlss on. What I did find was at 1440p max settings on version 1.5 a 3090ti gets 90fps average with dlss on while the 4090 gets 170fps, but also remember the 4090 isn't on version 1.5, it's on an unreleased version which has upgraded ray tracing effects that from Nvidia's announcement graphs looks like it cut performance around 30% with the new RT effects on.
Maybe, we'll have to wait for real benchmarks, so frustrating, but I'm getting a bad feeling.

Caporegime

I found a 3090ti with no dlss getting between 50 and 60 fps so maybe 55 fps on average>

M

So on that basis a 4090 would be only 10% faster in native but the 4090 stomps it with DLSS enabled.

Back
Top Bottom