• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Just a thought,

Given the excess glut of 3000 series cards still available, has Jensen killed two birds with one stone?

Has he deliberately priced the 4000 series so high, that people will baulk at the price and go buy a 3000 series card, clearing stock, while at the same time maximising the money fleeced from the fanboi crew that MUST have the latest and greatest 4000 GPUs. Until such times as 3000 card stocks are done, then he can reduce the prices of the 4000 series cards to snare the people who sat waiting for prices to come down, around the time the 4080ti is launched?

Pretty much my own thoughts since the prices were announced.

Soldato
The only real hope is that these new cards sell poorly like Turing did after after the last mining boom when Nvidia forgot about improving price to performance in favour of beta testing RT which paved the way for better price to performance with ampere until the crypto boom ruined that aswell.

So maybe the 5000 series will be better if Nvidia sees a big hit to profits by trying to charge silly prices during a recession and the biggest cost of living squeeze in generations.

Caporegime
i reckon the FE will have a hard limit of 500w so i doubt we will see 600w go through it unless we get an unlocked bios ( unlikely ) or you want to shunt mod it ... what PSU have you got ? not enough power or not enough 8 pin sockets ? i recently changed my PSU to a Corsair Hxi 1200w and have a couple of spare 8 pins even though 3 are in use for the strix so should be ok with psu , hopefully a company like cablemod releases an all in one cable that has 8 pins at one end and the new pcie5 at the other so we can get away without an adapter .

EVGA 1600i so plenty of power but the adapters concern me. Each pci-e 8 pin connector is only really rated for 150W and I see some AIB are supplying 3 x adaptors and so should be 450W max whereas others like zotac are going for 4 x adaptors so can supply 600W. I see corsair with their Thor PSUs only supply a two way so should be 300W max but in testing 300W were going through each pci-e so they have now changed the listing to max 450W but thats still more than what should be going through each pci-e connector.

The new 16 pin pci-5 5 gen connector can supply 600W directly so interested if you use that to connect to a FE will it take up to 600W and if using the adaptor its only 450W as its only a 3 -way?

Like you say, should be able to buy 4 way adaptors hopefully later on.

Soldato
Nvidia has indirectly released some performance numbers for Cyberpunk 2077, the numbers are reported from journalists today who were shown a closed door demo while performance stats appeared on the screen. The tests were done using a pre release version of the game that has further enhanced Ray Tracing quality than what the live version does today.

Last edited:
Associate
When you see the card without the cooler they are very small IMO. The new gen are really screaming out to be water cooled.
I think the same and Disappointed there are not AIO water cooled options on release. Nvidia claims to have hit 3ghz overclocking these but the AIB models seem to max out around 2.6ghz. Seems like water cooled is the way to hit 3ghz

Soldato
I think the same and Disappointed there are not AIO water cooled options on release. Nvidia claims to have hit 3ghz overclocking these but the AIB models seem to max out around 2.6ghz. Seems like water cooled is the way to hit 3ghz

As per my above post, the FE 4090 actually already boosts to 2850mhz by itself

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia has indirectly released some performance numbers for Cyberpunk 2077, the numbers are reported from journalists today who were shown a closed door demo while performance stats appeared on the screen. The tests were done using a pre release version of the game that has further enhanced Ray Tracing quality than what the live version does today.

So they fudged their figures by OC'ing the card? Since the factory boost for these cards is 2.52GHz or something...

Assuming this is real, at least the temps are somewhat impressive (seem to remember the 3090 FE going absolutely **** in Cyberpunk and reaching 71c and above).

Soldato
EVGA 1600i so plenty of power but the adapters concern me. Each pci-e 8 pin connector is only really rated for 150W and I see some AIB are supplying 3 x adaptors and so should be 450W max whereas others like zotac are going for 4 x adaptors so can supply 600W. I see corsair with their Thor PSUs only supply a two way so should be 300W max but in testing 300W were going through each pci-e so they have now changed the listing to max 450W but thats still more than what should be going through each pci-e connector.

The new 16 pin pci-5 5 gen connector can supply 600W directly so interested if you use that to connect to a FE will it take up to 600W and if using the adaptor its only 450W as its only a 3 -way?

Like you say, should be able to buy 4 way adaptors hopefully later on.

8pin PCIe connectors can supply more than 150W if the sense pins aren't used (pins 4 and 6 in the connectors) I'm guessing the supplied adaptors won't have any wires going to those pins so the PSU doesn't know what's going on.

Associate
the most impressive number is PCAT Perf/Watt though, thats how we would be getting more efficient cards in future as we start hitting thermodynamic limits
edit: but i know the short-sighted reviewers are going to be snarky about this

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone esle not even in the slightest bit interested in this round of cards? Maybe it's me and my age (late 40s) but this just looks like a joke from my viewpoint. Perhaps also that as I've got older, my gaming has decreased to a point where there is no time to game and I've lost interest. Plus there are no good games out that even slightly pique my interest these days :( I guess I'll stick to what GPU I have and just mosey on....
The problem with that though is ampere still isn't that cheap considering its 2 years old now and has also been cut off from the newer tech features like DLSS 3.0

AMD and the flooded used market could also spoil things and I hope they do.

If I was needing a card right now and been burned by the 4000 series announcement the last thing I'd do is enrich nvidia by buying a new 3000 series at retail, when Turing came out I picked up a used 1070ti at almost half the price of a 2060 and would be looking to do something similar now with the glut of used 3000 cards.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've never used it,
On games like Cyberpunk if you want to use RT, then it is a must. 3080 Ti here, with RT set to psycho and everything else ultra @ 3440x1440 it's in the low 20fps range to low 30s average. With DLSS enabled in Performance mode it's in the 70-75 fps range. With Gsync ultimate that fps feels like the smoothness of 100+ fps however on OLED so there is that bonus too.

Associate

How are they able to tell how many times it's been unplugged, and what kind of issues have they been finding to limit how many times we should do it? If it wasn't on the site I'd assume it was a joke.

Soldato
On games like Cyberpunk if you want to use RT, then it is a must. 3080 Ti here, with RT set to psycho and everything else ultra @ 3440x1440 it's in the low 20fps range to low 30s average. With DLSS enabled in Performance mode it's in the 70-75 fps range. With Gsync ultimate that fps feels like the smoothness of 100+ fps however on OLED so there is that bonus too.

I will try it next time I play that game with a 3090 OC and a 120Hz projector @4K

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom