Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
It's an engineer install, so hopefully he/she will have one in the Van...

Side not, I text (online chat) Virgin twice to set up the account, both times I requested a transcription of the chat...neither came through to my email...I took screenshot's of them, but still bit dodgy?
(I had the install "fee" dropped, so wanted confirmation...never came!)
It doesn't matter what they have in the van, it is all down to what is pre allocated to your account! The serial number/MAC address will be pre-registered at the other end so it will just be plug and play for the engineer. Changing it to another one will be a a whole lot of hassle unless yours is faulty.

I would find out beforehand if it matters to you.

The Hub5 doesn't have the Puma6 chipset like the 3 and 4, that in itself is good reason enough for me. ;) (I also have 2.5Gb ports on my motherboard and Asus router)

Even in modem mode my SH4 is better than my SH3. I would presume the SH5 is better again; hopefully I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Soldato
It doesn't matter what they have in the van, it is all down to what is pre allocated to your account! The serial number/MAC address will be pre-registered at the other end so it will just be plug and play for the engineer. Changing it to another one will be a a whole lot of hassle unless yours is faulty.

I would find out beforehand if it matters to you.

The Hub5 doesn't have the Puma6 chipset like the 3 and 4, that in itself is good reason enough for me. ;) (I also have 2.5Gb ports on my motherboard and Asus router)

Even in modem mode my SH4 is better than my SH3. I would presume the SH5 is better again; hopefully I'll find out for myself soon enough.

OK, thanks for the info. do you know the best way to contact them to ask for a Hub 5, on-line chat?

Man of Honour
OK, thanks for the info. do you know the best way to contact them to ask for a Hub 5, on-line chat?

To be honest I doubt you'll get anywhere as the Hub 4 is still current and being issued and they don't *have* to give you a Hub 5. I guess if you end up with a 4 you could try the link we've been using to try and get a 5 that way?

Soldato
Very impressive Sparx

What is it with UK broadband providers and their crappy upload speeds though.

When you see upload speeds of other countries they are usually much closer to matching or not far off the download speeds they get.

Associate
Very impressive Sparx

What is it with UK broadband providers and their crappy upload speeds though.

When you see upload speeds of other countries they are usually much closer to matching or not far off the download speeds they get.
I guess it depends on what speeds you have and how saturated the Area is, I can't complain "they say 250/25" I have the following below. I hear the locals complain that their 1G connection is always slow in the afternoon and it must be because the Americans have just woke up! OMG. Anyway.....

Great Video here all about stepping up.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Soldato
I guess it depends on what speeds you have and how saturated the Area is, I can't complain "they say 250/25" I have the following below. I hear the locals complain that their 1G connection is always slow in the afternoon and it must be because the Americans have just woke up! OMG. Anyway.....

Errr nope VM's ~50Mb upload cap has nothing to do with how saturated the area is :p All down to the DOCIS network they chose to adopt many moons ago.

He was just referring to my post 2 pages back.

So since getting my Hub 5 the other day, I finally got myself a swanky Anker 2.5Gb USB-C adapter which has just arrived! (my X570 mobo only has 1Gb :p)

I think it's safe to say it works well thanks to VM's over-provisioning on the profiling! Gained an extra 221Mb download, my previous best on the 1Gb NIC was 946Mb.

First result was on the Windows app, second is using Chrome. Happy days :)

enu8jGF.png

sRP87d6.png

Soldato
currently on a call with the retentions team, Nice Lady!

Been offered ultimate volt bundle, 2x new 360 boxes (we are on v6 boxes at the moment) for £96 a month (inc the cost of the 02 Sim card.

Might bite, but waiting for the systems to work on her side....

Soldato

Been offered ultimate volt bundle, 2x new 360 boxes (we are on v6 boxes at the moment) for £96 a month (inc the cost of the 02 Sim card.

Just so you know the v6 and 360 boxes are identical, the only difference is the software and the remotes.

Soldato
Just so you know the v6 and 360 boxes are identical, the only difference is the software and the remotes.
Yeah that's basically what she told me to.

not too fussed about it tbh as long as i get the gigabit connection and the new hub, and it works as intended and they dont overbill me i think its a fair deal.

not as good as some others on here, but not terrible either.

To update: Ive bitten @ the below:

Your new package now includes:
TV: Sky Sports and Cinema Collection - Virgin TV 360 box - TV and Broadband Discount - Netflix Standard - Sky Sports HD Pack - Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD
Broadband: Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
We've removed:
TV: Virgin TV V6 Box. powered by TiVo
Broadband: M350 Fibre Broadband - Loyalty Customer
Phone: Talk Weekends
Here's how your changes affect your next bill:
Your next bill will be generated on 18th November 2022
Your next payment is due on 6th December 2022
Your new monthly bundle cost is: £69.00

The SIM on top is £25 separate DD, but i was paying that anyway for my personal SIM - so not too bad overall.

Last edited:
Soldato

That is £85 for new customers so not a good deal. People here have had that same deal recently for £60. I even got offered that for £89 which I declined. Just so you know. :)

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Bit of a daft question lads so apologies. Hub 5 received today, I've currently got my Hub 4 in modem mode connected to an Asus router.

What's the best way to put the Hub 5 in without having to re-do the Asus set-up again? Can I just swap it over and the Asus will pick up the settings?

Cheers!

Permabanned
Bit of a daft question lads so apologies. Hub 5 received today, I've currently got my Hub 4 in modem mode connected to an Asus router.

What's the best way to put the Hub 5 in without having to re-do the Asus set-up again? Can I just swap it over and the Asus will pick up the settings?

Cheers!

Plug in, connect to hub 5, set it to modem mode, plug in Asus, done. (Should be)

Soldato

Cheers!
Just as @chroniclard stated. You may need to restart the Asus router once the Hub has settled down but that should be it.

Soldato
That is £85 for new customers so not a good deal. People here have had that same deal recently for £60. I even got offered that for £89 which I declined. Just so you know. :)
Isn't that 85, plus the 25 extra for the SIM?

Edit: no seems that is the new customer price. Strange they never offer the new customer price to existing customers...

Either way it's less then I was paying before for a worse package. So I wont lose much sleep over it. But maybe I will call them again tomorrow to see what they say.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't that 85, plus the 25 extra for the SIM?

Edit: no seems that is the new customer price. Strange they never offer the new customer price to existing customers...

Either way it's less then I was paying before for a worse package. So I wont lose much sleep over it. But maybe I will call them again tomorrow to see what they say.
Well on occasions I've had to down the double cancellation route to get a fair deal i.e. at least what new customers get. ;)

Soldato
tried the 02 Sim today which I had to get to get better deal with Virgin even though on 02 site when inputting post code it comes up saying no 5g coverage in area surprisingly I do get 5g and few tests I've ran getting just over 200mb

Back
Top Bottom